serious question re: movie editing and/or video game design work

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
I have a younger cousin - he's in his late 20s - and he's a high-functioning autistic: totally verbal, a big fan of popular culture (music and films), and clearly capable of task management and execution even if he can be an awkward guy to have a conversation with since his awareness of basic social cues is fairly low (not an unusual condition amongst folks with autism/aspergers).

Anyways...he's finishing up an associate's degree at this point and his parents (my uncle and his wife) are hoping to support his further progress into independence and part of that means helping him develop skills that he can then take into the job field.

The two areas he's nominally interested in are 1) video/movie editing and 2) video game design but personally, I have absolutely ZERO knowledge as to what one would do to get their foot into the door. Would it help for him to get a BA? Are there certificate programs? Do you just try to get some entry level job? WTF?

I know that there's a few editors in the mix on Strut, probably a few guys with video game industry experience to. Any advice or insight you could share with me and that I, in turn, can take back to my uncle and cousin?

I really appreciate your help here.

BTW, here's a video montage he credited for youtube on Prohibition-era gangster films. All said, I thought this was actually fairly well edited:

Comments

• A BA and then just experience and knowing how to get his foot in the door. getting involved in ACE would be crucial as everyone i have ever liaised with has been ACE (on real actual films, not project stuff)

http://www.ace-filmeditors.org/newace/abt_Intern.html

b/w he might want a reel that is a little less violent

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Since Movie theatres now have bedbugs i'd suggest video game design.

Which industry is "more" lucrative/thriving?

Tomb Raider movie vs Tomb Raider franchise?

Movie ticket - 13 dollars
    Video game - 50 dollars

• community college/private school trade in graphic design and non-linear video editting would set him up nicely..

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Ok, for starters, it definitely sounds like he should consider going back to school to at least finish his BA then?

And Batmon: I don't think lucrative is the real issue here. At this point, I think everyone would be happy with him simply being able to find work that would allow him an independent existence where his parents don't have to worry about him all the time.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    At this point, I think everyone would be happy with him simply being able to find work that would allow him an independent existence where his parents don't have to worry about BEDBUGS all the time.

Miss me with that NY-centric shit. Californians may worry about earthquakes and Paris Hilton driving, coked up, but we don't worry about bedbugs. ;)

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    My video-game industry friends would joke in that "I'm kidding, but I'm also kind of serious" way that game designers already have trouble with awareness of basic social cues, so your cousin would fit right in. As for how to get in the door in said industry...getting a degree would help, as would a solid demo reel/portfolio. After that, it's mostly about doing the regular job search shit: Applying at companies he'd want to work for, asking to meet editors, etc.

I will ask my gaming industry friends if they have any more specific advice and relay it along.

DJ_Enki said:
    My video-game industry friends would joke in that "I'm kidding, but I'm also kind of serious" way that game designers already have trouble with awareness of basic social cues, so your cousin would fit right in.

Temple Grandin (famed autistic) jokes that most super-technically skilled geeks and nerds in the world are probably just high-functioning autistics. I'd buy that!

• nm

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    [This is based of my experience in the UK market, but I'm guessing it'll translate]

First, he should realize that he'll probably have to start on the lowest rung, even with his BA. I don't know what this would entail in the videogame industry but in the film/editing/tv side, it could well mean he'll be doing something menial, dull and very repetitive to begin with. Like transferring hours and hours of footage from one format to another. Will he be ok with that considering his condition?

Your best bet is to try find a friend/friendofafriend who is, or has worked in those fields and ask them for as many contacts as possible. That at least gives you a foot in the door, as finding work in these fields is very competitive.

Has he considered working in newmedia as it could be a combination of his two fields of interest. The only reason I mention it is because often these companies are less established, so he'd could find himself in a more creative position. Although they can sometimes be very demanding jobs with long hours.

Also, I don't know how things work in the US, but over here we have charity/gov groups who specialize in helping people with disabilities find work, these people could be of real help. I'm guessing your Gov. also offer companies tax credits / financial assistance, to encourage hiring and recruiting people with disabilities.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    I spent a while doing videogames and would warn anyone that it's high-pressure with long hours thanks to coke-head directors agreeing stupid timescales, repetitive, monotonous and with little reward other than the schadenfreude of said directors putting their expensive cars into the scenery.

If that's your bag, go for it.