Dedications.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
My first TO:
Klymaxx "I Miss You"
Summer 1985

J*lie Cl*menes was my "girlfriend" for about 3 days after 7th grade. I had a crush on her since the first minute of 4th period of the first day of that school year. She had shoulder length jet-black curly hair, a cute crooked smile and was a big-time tomboy. She definitely held her own during the daily game of suicide at lunch (tennis ball-related). I asked her to be my girlfriend after last period on the last day of school as we were walking to the bus. That was the only time I had the balls to ask her and even THAT was initiated by her friend J*nnifer telling me "I heard you like J*lie. She likes you too and she said if you asked her to go around with you she'd say yes." She told me this during 2nd period. The rest of the day, I hid from everybody, nervous as hell. Finally when the last bell rang, Jennifer caught me in the hallway and said "What happened?! I thought you were gonna ask her??" So I did it. She said yes, we held hands for about ten minutes and said goodbye as we got on our respective buses. Two days later I called her for the first time ever. We talked for a quick minute then she passed the phone to J*nnifer who told me ???J*lie doesn???t want to be with you anymore.??? CRUSHED. That night I called 13 K-HIT and requested/dedicated "I Miss You" to her, hoping she'd just happen to be listening at that time.

The next year, I saw her and kept it cool. No hard feelings. She ended up going around with a guy from the high school next door.

My first FROM:
Bloodstone's "Natural High"
Summer 1993

I've mentioned Yv*tte aka D*ndee One here before, so short explanation: She was an East LA-transplanted tagbanger who was a lot younger than she said she was. Luckily, it never went far enough to warrant a visit to the confessional booth. Although I don't think her OG cholo dad (Hi Thes!) would've left me with the ability to walk or drive to church if we HAD got down like that. When we first met, we exchanged pager numbers then talked on the phone a few times for hours. (In retrospect it was probably only like 20-25 minutes.) Then one night she paged me with a 9-1-1 code. I called back immediately.

Her: Hey, turn on the radio.
Me: It is on, I just got the new Masta Ace.
Her: No stoooopid, the RADIO radio. Power 1490. Hurry!
Me: Ay! Why??
Her: 'Cause I made you a dedication on Slow Jamz! Listen to it! Okay, I gotta go now...I feel all shy and shit. (Oddly enough, I miss ladies who talk this way.)

The song ended, I called her back and thus began our short-lived whateverwhatever.

My third dedication just happened tonight, though it wasn't on the radio. It was a text from a recent ex and it was what sparked my idea for this thread. Not really ready to talk about it, though I will say it was the first dedication that made my eyes all watery and shit.

Comments

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    awesome stories, Herm! hope everything works out with the current situation.

personally, i have never had any experiences like this, but i think its a generational thing (people listen to the radio?? related).

i hope this thread can get some legs!

• yo Herm,

your descriptions of youth and young manhood here are spot on and conjure up distant memories with ease. A+ post imo.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    a girlfriend (k*therine d.) in jr. high tried to dedicate that bryan adams "(everything i do) i do it for you" song.

i couldn't accept it because of the major corn factor and the fact that it was the theme song of the robin hood prince of thieves movie, thus playing EVERYWHERE.

we dated for a month or so until i moved to houston. haven't seen her since. tried finding her on facebook to see how fat she got, though she was a looker back then.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    empanadamn said:
    bryan adams "(everything i do) i do it for you" song.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    xzackly!

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Love ain't easy, I'm just getting out of something pretty heavy myself.

Anyhow, I don't have any dedication stories of my own. But, how about making some sort of "get you back" or "I'm going to get her back with this mixtape" thing? Anyone do this before? I had a friend who did this for a girl and he got laughed at the minute he gave it to her and saw the track list. Wow.

Herm = Gangster of Love

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    cookbook said:
    empanadamn said:
    bryan adams "(everything i do) i do it for you" song.

Ha! Well played, Cookbook.

I ran into J*lie years later, when I was about 24-25. I was at a bar/club with my DJ partner who had just finished sitting in with our friend's jazz band (turntablist-related...yeah, I know). Good lord, she looked DAMN good. She had obviously heeded those milk commercials that were popular back then. I said hello. Actually it was more like "remember me?" with that smooth, flirtatious confidence that I had developed since my middle school days. She said of course she did then asked "what's up with your friend?" with him standing right there next to me. Cold, bold and demanding. That tomboy in her obviously never left.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Start a blog, Herm!

Almond said:
    Start a blog, Herm!

Yeesh! Sorry Almond!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Two come to mind for From:

INXS - Never Tear Us Apart
    I never went to highschool dances, but went to a Spring one in grade 11 to pick up ??? my hash guy???s friends were DJing the dance so he said to meet there. The school was really far from my house; I was in for the duration. No way I wanted to go to dorkfest on my own - I convinced a couple of friends to meet me there??????we???ll get high, we???ll watch bad dancing, cmon, it will be fun!???
    One of the guys with the DJs was supercute. Looks went back and forth all night and near the end of the night, Never Tear Us Apart comes on (oh dudes, I am laughing my head off as I write this, I can totally picture the whole thing in my head). He comes up to me and asks if I want to dance. M-E-L-T I say yes and he???s like hold on, goes to the DJ, gets him to stop the song, say on the mic ???this goes to that girl??? (points at me because, you know, cutie didn???t know my name to impart) and waits for him to get back to me before he starts it up again. There is a part in the song where there???s a kick-in and dude used it to do a subtle but very effective hip thrust. We ended up going out for almost a year.

Leroy Smart ??? Mother Liza
    At one of his parties, David Judah (RIP) dedicated it because it???s one of my signature tunes. I thought he was an amazing selector and it meant he was listening when I played ??? on both those counts, it means a lot to me.

Not trying to diminish anyone???s shine by not naming names or getting into details for the songs I have dedicated to people, but I dedicated so many songs when I had my radio show, it???s hard to pick one...in my first couple of months of getting my own show though, some dude who, according to him, was just out of jail, kept calling for Led Zeppelin When the Levee Breaks which I really did not want to play. He started to suggest he come to visit me at the station. This was campus radio, anyone could just walk in there. I played it and still told staff to not let anyone named Steve into the booth to visit me.
    (But seriously ??? sending songs out to people was one of the best things about having my own show!)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    bassie said:
    There is a part in the song where there???s a kick-in and dude used it to do a subtle but very effective hip thrust. We ended up going out for almost a year.

LAMBADA!!!!!!!!!!!

omigosh - were you there??

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    bassie said:
    omigosh - were you there??

HEY MACARENA............ALRIGHT!!!!!!

I found a picture from that night!!!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    gravelheadwrap said:
    Love ain't easy, I'm just getting out of something pretty heavy myself.

Anyhow, I don't have any dedication stories of my own. But, how about making some sort of "get you back" or "I'm going to get her back with this mixtape" thing? Anyone do this before? I had a friend who did this for a girl and he got laughed at the minute he gave it to her and saw the track list. Wow.

Herm = Gangster of Love

i did this started off with honeydove but it was more of a getback AT you tape
    it did help some friends through some rough times afterwards

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    ha ha ha, solid post, this reminds me of Rob Base and EZ Rocks - Crush

um stuck at work though and dont have time to type stories...but tis thread is taken me back to 88 in a major way!

also on some Fatboys - Falling in Love type ish...good times!

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Herm said:
    Almond said:
    Start a blog, Herm!

Yeesh! Sorry Almond!

I meant that as a complement! I'd follow it for sure!

• Options
    good dedications.

Almond said:
    Herm said:
    Almond said:
    Start a blog, Herm!

Yeesh! Sorry Almond!

I meant that as a complement! I'd follow it for sure!

Oops! Sorry again Almond! Ha ha! Thanks!!!

• Herm said:

J*lie Cl*menes was my "girlfriend" for about 3 days

You should start a blog called "I'm terrible at disguising people's names."

I don't think I've ever had a song dedicated to me. Probably won't happen at this point in my life.

Controller_7 said:
    Herm said:

J*lie Cl*menes was my "girlfriend" for about 3 days

You should start a blog called "I'm terrible at disguising people's names."

You're right. I just received a subpoena from Jrlie Clzmenes.

Damn it.