sleeve switching...45 related

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
a bit of a ethic/moral situation....one of the places I dig for 45s has 10s of thousands of them, in boxes, stacked...all over the damn place. 45s arent priced , but what I do is find the records I want and then find records I have no interest in with minty company sleeves and switch the sleeves...so the records I buy have better sleeves, or I can put records I already have at home in a minty label appropriate sleeve...owner doesnt seem to mind, but, say, do think a george jones fan minds a 45 he wants no longer has a minty musicor sleeve and now has a beat to fuck "sound of young america" sleeve on it now? Not a huge issue, but I feel like Im doing something wrong...

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    if they owner doesn't care, what could be wrong?

switching priced sleeves on the other hand...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    well, Ive never asked, but I know he has seen me do it and he hasnt said anything

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    sometimes I just buy the 45 in the sleeve I found it in & grab whatever stock sleeves I need in a separate pile

these techniques aren't for boutique shops obviously

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    a bit of a ethic/moral situation....one of the places I dig for 45s has 10s of thousands of them, in boxes, stacked...all over the damn place. 45s arent priced , but what I do is find the records I want and then find records I have no interest in with minty company sleeves and switch the sleeves...so the records I buy have better sleeves, or I can put records I already have at home in a minty label appropriate sleeve...owner doesnt seem to mind, but, say, do think a george jones fan minds a 45 he wants no longer has a minty musicor sleeve and now has a beat to fuck "sound of young america" sleeve on it now? Not a huge issue, but I feel like Im doing something wrong...

i think you can sleep soundly with a clean conscience. i do this at a similar sounding spot, and have never had any issues with the employees. you were there first, so dude that may get upset about his beat up, off label sleeve slept in too late.

the shit that irks me the most is when a store will just ditch the OG sleeve regardless, and place it in a brand new white sleeve. i want my OG sleeves holmes!

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    the patina of an original sleeve adds value.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    the shit that irks me the most is when a store will just ditch the OG sleeve regardless, and place it in a brand new white sleeve. i want my OG sleeves holmes!

I've never heard of a store "ditching" the OG sleeve. They'll just take it the way it came. And if that means selling a Tamla single in a MGM sleeve, well, that's just the way it goes!

The mismatched singles/sleeve thing doesn't really bother me unless it's a pic sleeve. If I see, say, the cover to Billy Preston's "Space Race" 45, there had better be a corresponding single inside.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    You should ask. OR next time say, the sleeve on this looked terrible so I switched sleeves with another 45.

I replace with new 45 sleeves. If the original sleeve is a company sleeve and not too skanky I either put it in a bag with the 45 or put with all my other clean company sleeves.

I have doo wop collecting friend who has identified regions for 1950s brown sleeves. He can tell if the sleeve was from NYC or Chicago or LA by the seams and the scoop &c.

I am guilty of 45 sleeve swaping at junk stores. Maybe next time I will ask.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    When you're in a spot that just has tons of 45's I would pretty much think that it would be expected to do this. I do it all the time. If it was a problem you would've been informed the first time you did it. Don't sweat it, handle yo bidness!!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    well, Ive never asked, but I know he has seen me do it and he hasnt said anything

I would ask just to be respectful, but I can't picture him minding in this case - I wouldn't.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    pickwick33 said:

I've never heard of a store "ditching" the OG sleeve. They'll just take it the way it came. And if that means selling a Tamla single in a MGM sleeve, well, that's just the way it goes!

i find it shocking as well. one of our HPBs and a local store do this. seems counterproductive...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Well, the shop I used to work at takes company sleeves that are in nice condition and sells them...they are organized very well and sell fairly regulary. They are a buck or two each and it wasn't uncommon for euro and japan dudes to buy a hundred dollars or so worth of sleeves at a time

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    Soulhawk said:

switching priced sleeves on the other hand...

^^ this could be more of a situation though...for the cost of 45 sleeves you could save some trouble and just buy a shit load and never have to worry about the ol sleeve switcheroo...but if the owner doesnt care, why should you...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Depends on the place to be honest. If there are oodles of mismatched vinyl/sleeve 45s and/or 45s without sleeves mixed in with sleeved 45s and this is the case every time I go there, then I take it that putting a sleeve on a 45 I do want off another one is no thing. But I'll still try to do it with blanks, not company ones. Sometimes, the nicest one is a mismatched comapny one though.
    If the place is organized and clean, I want to switch off a regular wear and tear for a nicer and/or thicker one (blanks), I ask.
    edit - and never prices.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I constantly switch 45 sleeves to correcly match the label when I am digging. I never figured it would be a problem (if they are unpriced that is).

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    From a purely economic perspective, unless you are a boutique shop that sells $10+ 45's, handling a 45 that you will sell for 99cents, anymore than is absolutley necessary, is a bad idea.
    I.E. spending $1.50 in labor cleaning up / correctly sleeving a stack of 45s that will bring in less than $1.50 net will put you of business pretty quick.

pickwick33 said:

The mismatched singles/sleeve thing doesn't really bother me unless it's a pic sleeve. If I see, say, the cover to Billy Preston's "Space Race" 45, there had better be a corresponding single inside.
    this reminds me of the time I went through thousands of 60s/70s 45s from a jukebox distro that had taken the records & just put them randomly into sleeves..... 60s/70s/80s pic sleeves of all genres.... I still have nightmares about what a pain in the ass that was (not to mention waste of effort for what I found). None of the thousands of pic sleeves corresponded to the actual record inside. Tedious.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    I do this with disco 12" all the time. It's only an issue if you're changing sleeves with different prices on them.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    according to my 45 friend, if you are a true 45 head you toss every patina'ed weathered old smelly ripped company 45 sleeve and mint up to only super pristine blank new sleeves

repeat as sleeves get worn and tattered from use

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    holmes said:
    pickwick33 said:

this reminds me of the time I went through thousands of 60s/70s 45s from a jukebox distro that had taken the records & just put them randomly into sleeves..... 60s/70s/80s pic sleeves of all genres.... I still have nightmares about what a pain in the ass that was (not to mention waste of effort for what I found). None of the thousands of pic sleeves corresponded to the actual record inside. Tedious.

I'm surprised they didn't cut a round hole through the sleeves to make them easier to flip through.

• Options
    Yo,
    I call it chronology. They belong together. When I can re-unite them I do. If the OG is fragile and needs special care, then I add a stock sleeve to cover the 45 and put them both in a 7" plastic together.

Marvin Holmes & the Uptights - Ride Your Mule on Revue for example. OG sleeve in plastic along with a special plastic-lined stock sleeve containing the record!...makes a nice, friendly bundle.

Sidebar: I found the Ronettes Lp two years before I found it's OG cover... and miles apart. "Recipe For Love" is a sure shot everytime!

mylatency said:
    according to my 45 friend, if you are a true 45 head you toss every patina'ed weathered old smelly ripped company 45 sleeve and mint up to only super pristine blank new sleeves

repeat as sleeves get worn and tattered from use
    this is true if you actually spend a lot of time playing/DJing your 45s, cardboard sleeves are often mandatory. For those of us who don't, it's pretty much, buy 45, match it with company sleeve as required, then file & forget...... repeat ad infinitum... lol