Oslo SP Ensemble - SP Shit Vol. 5 !!!

fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central

The saga continues.. Volume number five in our SP Shit series which we are proud to say have become cult-classics among SP heads and beatheads worldwide. We're still the same three dudes; Fredfades, Deckdaddy & John Rice..

All the beats are still done on the SP, without any s950 or other MIDI'ed up machine. All beats are still sample based, but a couple (two or three) of them also have some keyboards on top. Only one exclusive track this time, by the homie Ivan Average (formerly known as Ivy League.. The dude that made The Brains EP that we produced, and also rapped on one of our tracks from the Plastic Strip LP). We have some remixes there thou, so there will be some rapping for your ass. Actually, it's 5 remixes, so with Ivan's track, that would be six rap joints. And we have 47 instro's (hi beatheads), which means that all in all, we have 53 tracks. Some beats was done solo, some was collabed by two and two, and one of em was made by all of us.

For the downloaders / non-supporters.. We give you a lofi mp3 file that doesn't sound as good as the CD's plus it's one long file, so you don't get it splitted in tracks.. For the people who wanna support and buy the CD.. You know you'll get the hi-res version, splitted in seperate tracks plus some dope artwork. Will post info on how to order hardcopies on my page / blog when I got them ready to ship out. Shoutout to all the dudes who bought volume four! Sold a lot of those..

Anyway.. The artwork is kinda crazy this time. I wanted to do some 60's psych looking shit, and at the same time I just wanted to rep Norway real hard, that's why we went with the moose thing hahaha.. Mashed together with my dusty cosmic shit plus a wierd composition. DIG IT.

Link to the file here:
http://fredrikoverlie.net/OSLO SP ENSEMBLE - SP SHIT 5 MP3 VERSION.mp3
(Option click / Right click & Save as / Save target as...)

Tracklist here:

00:00:00 Intro
00:00:31 Baby Fuck
00:01:41 Untitled 01
00:03:18 Flying Island ( Cry To The Moon)
00:05:24 Kev Brown - Work In Progress Remix
00:08:07 Circled Game
00:10:13 Trip To The Sun
00:12:28 Piano Band
00:13:57 Still Diggin' 01
00:14:30 MOP - Pounds Up Remix
00:18:32 Waterfall
00:20:17 Year 2023
00:21:23 Dynamic Bolly Mod
00:22:05 Beatlan Joint
00:23:16 One Two feat. Ivan Average
00:26:02 Mellow Madness
00:27:14 Loopdigga
00:27:36 The Map To The Treasure
00:30:08 Calm
00:31:59 Fadesimental Mood (Solving Problems)
00:33:23 Large Pro - Radioactive Remix
00:37:00 Still Diggin' 02
00:37:16 Untitled 02
00:38:03 Think Twice Sir
00:39:35 Piece Two
00:40:48 Just Another Mellow Jazzguitar Joint
00:41:56 Kev Brown, Oddisee & Cy Young - Nitefall Remix
00:45:30 Still Diggin' 03
00:45:49 Sunday Sundae Loungin'
00:47:26 Going To Afreeka
00:49:08 Hey Man
00:50:34 Thank You (Beggars Ballout)
00:52:08 This Is Not The Lonely Melody
00:53:51 Still Diggin' 04
00:54:14 Nutrageous Teachers feat. KL - What's Poppin Remix
00:57:28 Get Ur Guns
00:58:08 Murder Swag
00:58:51 Knock On ward
00:59:42 Hogan's Thing
01:00:54 Alien In Afrika
01:03:29 Still Diggin' 05
01:03:51 Drunk Lady Walking
01:05:18 Tear Affair
01:06:04 Herbal Assault
01:07:11 1995 Bronx Piano Lessons
01:08:38 360 Degrees
01:10:12 24K Gold
01:11:40 War Of The Roses
01:13:29 Still Diggin' 06
01:13:52 Let It Ring
01:15:37 Growing Hair
01:16:24 Bring It Up
01:18:22 Visions (Outro)

Hope you guys enjoy!!!

Peace,

F.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Moose are not hip-hop. Saying dun.

• You need to come to Norway and go see our hiphopmoose!

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    tight work. been diggin what you do for a minute

• kemskems 120 Posts
    props.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    I really like some of these. The only issue I have, aside from a few of them sounding too much like a Kev Brown or Jay Dee bite, is that 12bit sampling should be used carefully imo even though this is the "SP Ensemble - SP Shit". It can make some things sound better but some melodic samples just come out sounding really bad. Just my 2 cents. But overall some nice stuff, some distinct sounding tracks & I prefer this one to your previous releases.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    #4 was dope (dat fiya !)
    eager to listen to this one

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    ost said:
    I really like some of these. a few of them sounding too much like a Kev Brown or Jay Dee bite.

Yeah, I was getting a strong Kankick vibe from a lot of these too.

Great stuff overall, though.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    been bumping this in the car this morning, feeling very sorry for myself after a late night early morning killer combo (was worth it, Kon smashed it last night!), anyways, this was exactly what i needed to listen to today, so thanks for yet another edition!

• ost said:
    I really like some of these. The only issue I have, aside from a few of them sounding too much like a Kev Brown or Jay Dee bite, is that 12bit sampling should be used carefully imo even though this is the "SP Ensemble - SP Shit". It can make some things sound better but some melodic samples just come out sounding really bad. Just my 2 cents. But overall some nice stuff, some distinct sounding tracks & I prefer this one to your previous releases.

Of course man, that's why we don't just make SP beats.. We use the samples we feel would have sounded better in 16 bit in the MPC.. And some stuff sound better in the SP. And some stuff always sounds good in both machines. I guess we're just so used to the sound that we don't think much about it.

And on that "biting".. that's bullshit.. I mean everytime we sample/chop a jazz guitar people are like "ah that sounds like Kev Brown".. But they never say that if we chop a piano or some vibes or whatever. The beats still sound the same, it's just the instrument.. And Kev Brown have a different drum/bass style than us aswell. People are just used to Kev only chopping damned jazz guitars in every single beat. But people used to do that before he started releasing stuff. Whatever. I've been listening a little bit to Kev Brown, but our main inspirations are without a doubt PETE ROCK & Jay Dee. Which of the beats do you think sounds like Jay Dee? I think it's interesting to know.

Peace,

F.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Hi man, I realize its difficult to convey the tone in which I was saying what I did. As I mentioned I like several of them, the drums are always banging & there are some really distinct sounding beats.
    I guess bite may be a hard word, let's just say "a very strong influence" & I'm not referring necessarily to the sample but to the swagger, programming, bass line, etc... "Good artists copy, great artists steal"

Again, some great beats on there, keep it up.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    fred keep rockin. i didnt hear anything that sounded off or bad because of what the sp did. i guess some heads think some elements have to sound a certain way because its this or its that. keep doing you.

i definitely hear a jaydee influence in some of the drum programming and basslines, but from the first beattape yall did to this one, i have seen yall get more comfortable and have created your own sound. this is the best one ive heard since #2.

that outro beat is so damn nice by the way.
    are yall multitracking these tracks and doing overdubs or is basically all the samples of one beat fitting into the sp?
    trying to figure out how you were able to get some of those longer samples in as well as the drums and bass

• Lumin:

Thanks!
    I appreciate it. It's funny what you say about volume two.
    Cause I've always been telling my friends that volume two is my favourite. Until we did volume four.
    I think I like to pur them in this order: 5, 4, 2, 3, 1...

Thanks, the outro beat is mine too. I'm trying to remember what I sampled.. I made it in december or something so can't really remember. It's a fusion record.. It might be one of those Perigeo records.. Hmmm. I'm not sure.. I will try to think of it.. Each bar (1, 2, 3, 4) is from different breakdowns in the song.. The last bar is actually in another scale/has another ground note, so I spent some time to figure out how to do the bassline & pitched guitars in the hook.. Actually.. I remember the sample now.. It's from the Paul Horn - Visions LP..

The trick is to use the special menu. There's a function there that will let you pitch your samples way more down than in the regular pitch mode, so if you speed up your samples EVEN more before you sample, then you go to the special menu and pitch your samples 16 notes down, you will save a lot of sample time. And for the bassline on beats like the last one.. You just sample the ground note, and loop the very end of it so it lasts until you mute it with a pad in the same filter/mute/output group. Then you copy it to different pads and find the pitches you need to complete your bassline.

There's no multitracking in the beats.. All of them are single floppy beats. But we have added some effects (synths, scratches, wierd blip blop space sounds etc.) that is just layered on top of the whole mixtape. You prolly understood that thou.

Peace,

Fred.

• BUMP !!!

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    just saw your reply. didnt know about that option in the special menu. weird. are you speeding things up in your computer as well?
    ill see what i can do with that this weekend.
    thanks for the tips dude.

• It's kinda lika a secret. Some people know it, but they won't share it with other people.. I don't mind giving good tips to good people thou. Nah I use the MPC for pitching stuff/tuning stuff before I sample into the SP. It's the same as using a computer thou. Nothing special/fancy to the stuff that I do in the MPC before I sample it over.

Peace,

F.

• BUMP ! HARDCOPIES COMIN' SOON !