A Turd In The Hand Vs. The Bush Twins

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
Rock-A-Logic Rant #264

As you get older I guess one of two things can happen.....you get cranky and dislike most of the things around you or you learn how to appreciate even the small things that can bring you fleeting pleasure.

When you're young you think you're gonna find that perfect partner. One that will make you happy for the rest of your life, always be perfect and you'l never tire of each other. Some folks actually accomplish this???..most don't.

What happens quite often though is you think you've found your perfect match, and things go well for a while but then you start to get bored and start looking for something different???.more exciting??????or the relationship begins to require more work than you want to invest???..things just don't go as smoothly as they used to???..or worse case scenario, something bad happens and you never want to see that person again.

In my experience records are the same way???..you start off looking for that perfect record???.something you can play from beginning to end and never get tired of???.a record that brings a smile to your face and warms your soul everytime you hear it. Like finding the perfect partner, some people find that record and they are satisfied???.most of us record collectors never do though.

We start looking for new excitement???.something different??????a little "strange" on the side, only your records don't get jealous and in some respects are the perfect partner. So you start looking for other "perfect" records??????that record you can settle down with and be satisfied with happily ever after. Except it's like chasing that first drag from a crack pipe???..you are NEVER satisfied.

When you're young you're out there only looking for "10's"???..hoping to find that perfect blend of mind, body and personality that will allow you to live the life you always dreamed of. As you get older you start widening the playing field, realizing that there is a lot more to a relationship than superficial things???..you start to look deeper into people to find those qualities you have learned to appreciate over the years.

I've had this same relationship with records??????I've owned most of the sexy slabs of vinyl that people consider a "10" and in most cases I grew tired and bored with them???..sure they were great the first 50 times but after a while listening to them was like the same old boring Missionary position time after time and I needed something new.

And after 30+ years I find that I get my kicks in smaller doses and from more unlikely places. You know that "turd" of an LP that only has one good cut???..finding that for me is like having that cute 25 year old waitress wink at me???.it won't mean much a couple of days from now but it gave me five minutes of happiness that those 20+ year old worn out "10's" just don't do for me any more.

Maybe I'm musically jaded like Hugh Hefner is with blond triplets??????or maybe the older you get the cheaper the kicks???.but that one tracker turd is putting a smile on my face while you're "10" is having an affair with the Pool Boy behind your back.

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I think its time to put Rock in a home.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    I think its time to put Rock in a home.

Maybe so.....serves me right for trying to justify my turd appreciation.

Just put me in the Nursing Home Hugh Hefner's in.

We'll put you in the crooked home we saw on 60 Minutes.

• Options
    I hear the Bush twins have herpes.

Pelvic Dust = LM&J

• Options
    sabadabada said:
    Pelvic Dust = LM&J

Reunited and it feels so good. :real_headz:

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i think a lot of soulstrutters might have got into buying old records with a different ear than you, rock. younger guys that grew up on hip hop and discovered good music while looking for samples and such. i mean i liked plenty of different music growing up, but didnt care whether it was a record or whatever. most of my music from back then was random things i would tape off my friend's older brothers. i didnt start buying used records until 92 or so when i thought i was keeping it underground. back then i would be happy as hell to find a record with 20 seconds of great music on it. i mean, i could make the DOPE beat with it, right?

i think a lot of us that came up like that have now regressed/progressed into wanting whole albums to shine. i know i have. i went from having 4000+ records to about 1200 and i'd like to cut that in half.

point is... distinguishing turds from diamonds has become more important with age.

*a lot of those "10s" wind up being miserable whiney turdevoirs.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I was born grumpy and I get more and more accepting and agreeable as I age.

• If I catch the pool boy fucking my records behind my back he is so fired

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    I was born grumpy and I get more and more accepting and agreeable as I age.
    exactly

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    If I catch the pool boy fucking my records behind my back he is so fired

WOULD RATHER WATCH THE POOL BOY FUCK HIS RECORDS

b/w

I'm all about records I can listen to front to back. I think of it as "music I can bake bread to" because I don't want to be in the middle of something with my hands all messy and then a turd starts blasting all up in my business. But I guess when I'm twenty years along I very well may feel differently about it.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    I don't want to be in the middle of something with my hands all messy and then a turd starts blasting all up in my business.