Protest songs?

samosachaatsamosachaat 8 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
Hello, I'm playing at a political rally protesting Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio. Putting together a playlist and I'd love to hear some suggestions... Trying not to get to negative or angry (e.g. "I Shot the Sheriff" "Fuck the Police") and I'm definitely looking for some Spanish language stuff, like Rueben Blades. THANKS!

Comments

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,461 Posts
    By the Time I Get to Arizona - PE

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    She wont fill the dance floor, but you might want something by Tish Hinojosa

Again, wont fill a dance floor but a version of deportees is obligatory

Also a version of Rivers Of Babylon might be nice.

If you are doing a souljazz set all the Gaye, Wonder, McCann, Scott-Heron songs.
    Plus all the War, DeVaughn, Luis Gasca...

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    samosachaat said:
    Hello, I'm playing at a political rally protesting Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio. Putting together a playlist and I'd love to hear some suggestions... Trying not to get to negative or angry (e.g. "I Shot the Sheriff" "Fuck the Police") and I'm definitely looking for some Spanish language stuff, like Rueben Blades. THANKS!

Don't think I read this very carefully the first time.
    An anti Joe Arpaio rally? Dude, you have got to play I Shot The Sheriff. Don't want to get too negative? Just keep playing the intro between other more uplifting songs.

I would think boarder music would be more appropriate than Rueben Blades. But I don't have too many suggestions. I know names, like Steve Jordan who just died, but not songs.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    and don't forget plenty of linda ronstadt.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Trying not to get to negative or angry

why protest?