'From Mambo To Hip Hop - A Bronx Tale' by Henry Chalfant

staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
I saw this doc a few years ago at a screening chalfant (of style wars, subway art and spraycan art fame) attended. To my knowledge this has never been commercially released in theatres or on dvd. The copy he showed then was still a work in progress. Its been up on youtube for a while but this flick is kind of slept on. Anyway someone just hipped me to the fact this is now up on megaupload as a divx file.

Its a really great doc that goes in to the whole mambo, salsa, boogaloo experience in 70's new york and ties a link to the influence that culture had on breakdancing and hip hop culture. The link in itself is not as interesting as the actual story of porto ricans and cubans etc landing in the bronx and getting their own thing musically. Anyway its an awesome documentary just for the footage and the music. Cop it.

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    staxwax said:
    Anyway its an awesome documentary just for the footage and the music. Cop it.

I don't even have to see the video to know I want this. Where can I buy it?? How can I be down??

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    hey i just noticed it IS on dvd - link here:

Amazon UK

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    staxwax said:
    hey i just noticed it IS on dvd - link here:

Amazon UK

DLing the torrent now. I'll check that Amazon link though. Thanks!!

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,461 Posts
    sweet thanx for the linkage, big Chalfant fan!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts
    staxwax said:
    megaupload

link?