The latest internet Meme - is worth a moment of your time RR

staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central

Antoine Dodson: from local news item to internet sensation

Antoine Dodson's furious outburst on a news channel after a sex attack on his sister turned into a viral YouTube video and inspired a hit song. Now he is making the most of his fame

Earlier this year, the United States National Trust for Historic Preservation gave a special honour to the town of Huntsville, Alabama, naming it one of America's Dozen Distinctive Destinations for 2010. Huntsville, read the February citation, "offered cultural experiences different from the typical vacation destination". Seven months later, a young African-American from the poorest part of the town has vindicated that decision in a fashion that the judges could never have anticipated.

A week ago, Antoine Dodson was just another boy from "the projects", the run-down housing estates which are a feature of every American town and city. Living with his parents, siblings, nieces and nephews in Lincoln Park, where opportunities were few and far between, Dodson had few prospects of escape from his bleak surroundings. This weekend he is a cult hero for millions of young followers, has struck a business deal with Apple and hopes to move his entire family into a more upmarket neighbourhood. The story of how it happened is a modern fairytale combining issues of race, the media, music and the creative power of the web to transform the meaning of everyday events.

Dodson's remarkable ascent to internet stardom began with just another violent incident in Lincoln Park: a sexual assault on his sister, which the local television station chose to cover in its news round-up. Elizabeth Gentle of WAFF TV interviewed Dodson's sister Kelly after she was attacked in her bedroom by an intruder. The interloper had climbed on to the ledge underneath Kelly's window before sneaking in, jumping on her in bed and groping her.

[email=http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/aug/15/antoine-dodson-internet-sensation]The full story[/email]

Comments

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    ha ha ha, this is funny, but soon enough he'll have his own bottled water, cologne, clothing line, 21inch rims on a volvo and will randomly show up in a movie about being locked in a bank vault with snakes...

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

This is genius - face it.

NOT genius.
    Autotuning some youtube fool is everyday business it seems.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I'm actually anticipating the rapist coming forward to take credit.

"You really are so dumb"

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    staxwax said:

This is genius - face it.

NOT genius.
    Autotuning some youtube fool is everyday business it seems.

Ok genius might be taking it a little far but damn - they've got a whole orchestra in there with him.
    Its funny.

nah fuk that it is genius.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    I'm actually anticipating the rapist coming forward to take credit.

"You really are so dumb"

better yet, the rapist autotunes his own track and posts it on youtube and issues a battle for autotune supremacy...

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I already posted a thread about my boi Antoine called How to Properly Inform the Community About an Intruder. The song is awesome and I know all the words. The cover versions are also great.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Latest.. pfft this meme is old yo.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    staxwax said:

they've got a whole orchestra in there with him.

I only hear terrible plug-in instruments combined with video samples showing an orchestra. So the requirements of ingeniousness seem to be at an all time low.

Almond said:
    I already posted a thread about my boi Antoine called How to Properly Inform the Community About an Intruder. The song is awesome and I know all the words. The cover versions are also great.

ok cool i did a search for bed intruder and nothing came up i didnt see your post. those cover versions posted in your thread are off the heezy too.

Latest.. pfft this meme is old yo.

haha - the innurnets is mad fast sonnnnn

ss should do a dumb autotune some random ish competition. anyway this shit cracked me up.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    pass.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    It hath done been taken to a new level.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    The Waxidermy take on things

• jjrocksjjrocks 109 Posts
    The auto-tune the news folk write catchier melodies than folks whose job it is to write catchy melodies. I heard their Double Rainbow song once and I woke up with it in my head the next day.

hey I agree the shit is catchy as hell - i hate most pop music and all that auto tune kanye west ish but this is just stupid enough for me to dig it.

i wonder how epic beard man is doing today? probably getting high in some alley...