Singer Portable Skipping Issues?

facesdfacesd 236 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
Dear Strut technical support,

Does anyone else have a Singer portable like this?:

It's a great portable, plays loud, however it skips when playing "new" records. That is, when you play an older piece of vinyl it holds really well with no skips however when I put on a newer record (brand new) it just will NOT hold and the needle skips across. I even placed a quarter on top to see if that would help but no dice. I assume this is due to older records having 'deeper' grooves???? We play the same records on the Columbia joint and it holds just fine. As the neddle works its way toward the middle of the record it begins to hold better but man, its pretty frustrating.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks for any help and/or advice.

Comments

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    Here is an example:

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    The stylus may be blunted.

(insert joke here)

Can you find a new one?

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    i dont know if its from the angle that you shot the video, but that lil tonearm looks bent to the right to me...from end to end, if that isnt the case, id say try and newer stylus..

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    The stylus may be blunted.

(insert joke here)

Can you find a new one?

Thank you and Cityboy...unfortunately, I think the stylus is OK as this was in the box and had not been used very much....the tone arm is adjusted correctly. Oh well.....

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Are you sure it's not a weight issue. The arm just looks extremely lite. Try putting a paperclip or 2 on it. Don't attempt a coin, it will most likely be way too heavy. Good luck!