Sly and the Family Live Bootleg lp's

lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I've got this record on the "Family" label. It seems like a bootleg of a live show, recording wise, and it only came with an insert w/ a green pic of Sly and the track listing for the album.I was quite bummed, as I thought it might be a test press.Are these kind of boots pretty standard?

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Sounds like the typical old school rock live show bootlegs which I used to see regularly but don't really any more... it'd be cool to hear a Sly one though if the recording was worth a damn

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    it'd be cool to hear a Sly one though if the recording was worth a damn

I can't vouch for it. It sounds like the drummer is playing wet cardboard!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Sounds like your typical 70's bootleg. What's the date and venue on that one?

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    No date or venue!!
    What a piece of shit.

Maybe the tracklist is a clue:

thank you for letting me be myself
    m'lady
    sing a simple song

stand
    dance to the music
    hey music lover
    higher

I'm guessing from the tracks, his hoarseness on the mic, and the lack of back up vox that this show was nearer to the end for him.

• I'm guessing from the tracks, his hoarseness on the mic, and the lack of back up vox that this show was nearer to the end for him.

Too much cocaine & weed, not enough water.

I'm pretty sure I've seen Sly a few times around West Hollywood, Beverly Hills. There's a homeless guy that looks just like him. Anybody know how tall he is? This guy is about 6.1-6.2.

With the new Starbucks Sly CDs he should be getting payed but he probably sold all the rights off a long time ago.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Are there any good live Sly LP's (or even CD's) out there?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

One of only a small handful:

This one is of soundboard quality, two sets, recorded in 1968.

It's a double CD, I downloaded it as FLAC files. If anyone wants it, I can either do a trade or accept a few B+P's.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Woodstock and one or two other major rock festival soundtracks have doses... good recordings too which you're probably not going to find on the boots

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts

I'm pretty sure I've seen Sly a few times around West Hollywood, Beverly Hills. There's a homeless guy that looks just like him. Anybody know how tall he is? This guy is about 6.1-6.2.

hopefully not him.
    heard he's doing alright. clean and making music.

• I'm pretty sure I've seen Sly a few times around West Hollywood, Beverly Hills. There's a homeless guy that looks just like him. Anybody know how tall he is? This guy is about 6.1-6.2.

hopefully not him.
    heard he's doing alright. clean and making music.

Oh good. I hope that's true.

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    That sounds like the Madison Square Garden one. It definately is if you can't hear Larry Graham on 'Dance to the Music" ie his mic wasn't recording/turned on.