Craig Moerer description question

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
What does "boot" mean - bootleg???
That would be really weird.
It's not explained in the grading section.

Thank You.

edit - is he using it interchangeably with re-issue?

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Is the item a bootleg?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    yes, it means bootleg.

bassie said:

without seeing the item in question I can't say for sure, but generally if a dealer, especially a real head like Moerer, is calling a record he is selling a "bootleg," it means the record is an older bootleg and therefore may have some collectible value ... a new reissue he would just call a reissue (or RE) and leave it at that, whether the legality of the pressing is questionable or not. Older boots of records may just be acknowledged as such ... it is a grey area, no doubt, but here is a record I own that is clearly a bootleg (of a $400-$700 garage 45) yet also clearly has some collectible value:

http://webwarper.net/ww/~av/www.popsike.com/GARAGE-ROCK-THE-CHOB-AINT-GONNA-EAT-OUT-MY-HEART/330108922801.html

• Options
    nice post

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I'm guessing in this case that he's using it to denote something that is an exact repro of the OG.

Horseleech said:
    I'm guessing in this case that he's using it to denote something that is an exact repro of the OG.

Gotta disagree, at least, not if it's a new "exact repro:"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300442655011

SoulOnIce said:
    Horseleech said:

Gotta disagree, at least, not if it's a new "exact repro:"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300442655011

Uh, maybe he doesn't think it's a boot, maybe he thinks it's a reissue.

Don't really see the need for the snide "uh" but I guess I don't really see what distinction you are making - I intentionally looked for a Scorpio-esque "reissue" that could easily be called a boot ... I just don't see him calling some new stock he is selling as a "bootleg" for a number of obvious reasons.

• Options
    side note:

Is that the same Soulciety that worked on the Audrey Motaung - Colours Can't Clash Lp
    I think it is a german import and I will check the record cover when I get home.

she is a gospel/blues singer. strong supporter of womens rights, and "enjoys a relatively high media profile in Germany"
    http://www.mountain-africa.com/audrey.html

SoulOnIce said:
    Don't really see the need for the snide "uh" but I guess I don't really see what distinction you are making - I intentionally looked for a Scorpio-esque "reissue" that could easily be called a boot ... I just don't see him calling some new stock he is selling as a "bootleg" for a number of obvious reasons.

Scorpios are allegedly legit (whether they are or not is the subject for another thread) - why would he call it a boot?

ugh this is going nowhere. why would he call any "grey area" new pressing that he is buying from a distributor a boot? That is my question. I have no idea what your point is. Boobie Knight is an "exact repro" of questionable legality, and it is called a reissue - my point was, and is, that he is most likely only going to call something a boot if it is a used/vintage record that has some value, like the Chob 45 I posted above.

http://stores.ebay.com/Craig-Moerer-Recordsbymail-com__W0QQ_sidZ5606007?_nkw="boot"&LH_TitleDesc=1

(although this link shows that he will sell stock copies of doo wop boot 45's for $5 and call them as such, but of course, doo wop boots are ubiquitous and a massive part of the genre)

• Options
    i like boot legs, when i listen to them and add them to our radio stations library I have to look them up on discogs by catalog number. sometimes they end up being different artists than I think they are.

• i recently got a jeff beck boot with bernard purdie and bad bascomb doing all blow by blow and wired era stuff but the recording is just horrible...last time i drop dough on a boot without verifying sound quality first.

back in the day montreal used to have this lp/cd bootleg superstore called "rock en stock". new york had a bunch of spots too and i think they all pretty much got shut-down in the late 90's. those were the days i guess but now we have youtube..

I like how he calls those Motown ones a "weird boot"

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    even though I have ended up using the term..."boot" is the most widely misused term in record-dom.

Let me explain

a "boot" or "bootleg" is a term that is supposed to be applied to an item/release that doesnt currently exist and is unauthorized. Examples:

Pink Floyd "Live in Tallahasse 1976"...there is no legit issue of a this sparticular Pink Floyd concert
    Rolling Stones "Black and Blue demos and outtakes"...there is no legit release of these recordings

The aforementioned are correctly called "bootlegs"

a "pirate" is an unathorized pressing/release of an available, legitimate release(s)
    examples:
    Goldmine "Sound of Funk" compilations are pirate compilations, they are unauthorized releases as the licenses were not acquired for release

Scorpio's pressings of The Power of Zeus and Headless Heros of the Apocalypse are pirated copies...there are legit copies of these albums, however these particular pressings are pirated, i.e. unauthorized.

carry on

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    I like how he calls those Motown ones a "weird boot"

You really think Moerer is writing in the comments for each of his 150,000 listings?

He has 15 underling "interns" to do that. I'm sure this is just an issue of them not being on the same page.

SoulOnIce said:
    ugh this is going nowhere. why would he call any "grey area" new pressing that he is buying from a distributor a boot? That is my question. I have no idea what your point is. Boobie Knight is an "exact repro" of questionable legality, and it is called a reissue - my point was, and is, that he is most likely only going to call something a boot if it is a used/vintage record that has some value, like the Chob 45 I posted above.

http://stores.ebay.com/Craig-Moerer-Recordsbymail-com__W0QQ_sidZ5606007?_nkw="boot"&LH_TitleDesc=1

(although this link shows that he will sell stock copies of doo wop boot 45's for $5 and call them as such, but of course, doo wop boots are ubiquitous and a massive part of the genre)

Why do you assume that the Boobie Knight is of questionable legality?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    bassie said:
    What does "boot" mean - bootleg???
    That would be really weird.
    It's not explained in the grading section.

Thank You.

Please post a link.

Craig has been selling since the 70s.
    When 50s vocal groups were the thing he was a go to guy.

Repos of 50s vocal group 45s were called boots. As l recall.

lf you are looking at a 45 most likely it is a repo he is calling a boot.

Or, you could just email Craig.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I did!

Hello. Yes, that is short for ???bootleg??? or ???unauthorized pressing???.

This record is not an original pressing.

Hope that helps.

It is an early 1960s track. I didn't want to push my luck with the person on the other end, but I asked about sound quality.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Thank You to everyone who responded.

Horseleech said:
    SoulOnIce said:

Why do you assume that the Boobie Knight is of questionable legality?

You actually went back and edited your earlier post to add the statement in parentheses:

Scorpios are allegedly legit (whether they are or not is the subject for another thread) - why would he call it a boot?

... and then you ask me that question? I don't get you in this thread.

How about this: I think many Scorpio pressings are bootlegged/pirated/illegitimate/bullshit.

I think I've made that obvious even though you seem to keep asking me to say it RIGHT OUT (although as you say, it's a subject for another thread ... ?)

Hook Up seems pretty convinced that the Power of Zeus and Headless Heroes are boots, let's invite him to that "other" thread.