True headphones?

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Hello what is a good pair of headphones with true sound for recording applications?Thanks folk

Comments

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    I would like to know, too.
    I have a beautiful pair of $90 Sony's that I have to ditch because they actually make my mix sound better.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    AKG 270/271
    AKG 240-DF

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    well there is no such thing as true recording headphones.

remember that we don't hear sound in true isolated stereo the way you do in headphones. Thus it will never technically be accurate.

that said i would recomend you get a set that complements your monitors. My monitors are neutral / flat studio style and i have a pair of those sony mdr7000 headphones. Those phones will get me the bass that you aren't going to hear in the monitors... so they offer a good indication of what the joint will sound like "in the club"

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

I know a lot of studio dudes swear by the sony 7506s. I've owned two pairs and have had no complaints--they really don't seem to color the sound much...although you may need to train your ears to judge proper bass response for mastering as some people say these phones are a little "juiced" on the low end.

Here are some reviews:

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/headphones-home-audio/headphones/sony/PRD_118049_2750crx.aspx

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue16/mdr7506.htm

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MDR7506/reviews/

AKGs & Grados are also good phones, but they'll run you a bit more money...

-BELIEVE

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts
    well there is no such thing as true recording headphones.

remember that we don't hear sound in true isolated stereo the way you do in headphones. Thus it will never technically be accurate.

that said i would recomend you get a set that complements your monitors. My monitors are neutral / flat studio style and i have a pair of those sony mdr7000 headphones. Those phones will get me the bass that you aren't going to hear in the monitors... so they offer a good indication of what the joint will sound like "in the club"

this is all true.

also, re: the 7506s i recommended above...the earcushion will give out on you after awhile (get ripped/exposed foam/etc), which will subsequently change the "color" of the sound, which will put you back to square one again. Best recommendation, as stated above, is to use monitors & headphones together...and definitely do confidence checks with albums you already think are recorded/mastered well.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Hello what is a good pair of headphones with true sound for recording applications?

Jonny,
    I'd recommend these:

AKG K240 (~$100)
    Sennheiser HD-580 (~$200)
    Sennheiser HD-570 (~$130)
    Grado SR-80 (~$100)
    Grado SR-225 (~$200)
    Beyerdynamic DT250-80 (~$200)

Depending on the specific application, I'd pay close attention to whether the headphones are "closed" (sometimes referred to as "closed-back") or not. Having a closed back prevents bleed - important in isolation settings (vocal booth, etc.).

Otherwise, I'd look at their frequency response chart, the cabling, the jacks, and their overall durability. If they'll be used extensively, try them on and pay attention to how the cup surrounds the pinnae. In a word, circumaural.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

AKG is really good - I can get you a deal on them, if you like. A relative is the distributor of their products for northeastern Canada. I have the K 501's - Ask Danno - they're pretty good.

Peace

h

• bubor0ckbubor0ck 141 Posts
    sony mdrv900 tried and true 3 years and counting. should be able to find them for less than 150. they are a bit chunky but the sound is prime.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    The best headphones i've ever bought. Worth every penny.

You can read a review here

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    7506, should be had for less than 90 bicks. Sound great, flat response.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

These are my headphones.
    There are many like them, but these ones are mine.
    My headphones are my best friend.
    They are my life.
    I must master them as I must master my life.
    Without me, my headphones are useless.
    Without my headphones, I am useless.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I have 2 extra pairs of AKG K240's I could send you!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    The best headphones i've ever bought. Worth every penny.

You can read a review here

Beyer is dope. I wish they were easier to find in Canada.

h

• Thanks yall. I am going to look into these.

Preme when's the next time you're in NYC?

Bring em out, bring em out!