Al Goodman R.I.P.

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
http://www.newpittsburghcourieronline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2604:a-truly-sad-day-for-me-al-goodman-of-the-momentsray-goodman-a-brown-passes&catid=44:entertainment&Itemid=48

by Bob Davis

Special to the New Pittsburgh Courier

(Soul-Patrol.com)--I'm still in shock. I was in my car driving to a concert at the Dell East in Philadelphia earlier this afternoon when I got a phone call from Daisy Brown, telling me about Al Goodman's passing. I started calling people. I met ELP at the show and told him the news. He was in shock. The phone calls of total and utter disbelief kept coming in.

Later ELP asked me if I was ok. I told him that I was, but I really wasn't. I guess he could see it in my face. A few moments later, I told him that I was leaving. Got back here and my email box is flooded with messages announcing the passing of Al Goodman.

I really don't know what to say. Here is something that I wrote about Al a few years ago on his birthday that I will share with you below. I can't write anything else right now. I'll let cha know when I get any details...

Happy Birthday - Al Goodman

Most of you don't know Al Goodman like I do. Oh sure you know his music because Al Goodman is the leader of the MOMENTS. The Moments - one of my all-time favorite slow jam groups, only had one major pop hit with "Love on a Two Way Street", but they had many years of successful singles on the R&B charts and at one point were actually something like James Brown in that you could always hear a Moments song being played on Black radio.

However despite all of that, Al Goodman is hardly a "household name". But that's ok, what is important is that Al Goodman is one of the best friends that Soul-Patrol has and has been for a very long time. And the secret to that is that Al Goodman is a "regular brotha". See when you deal with Al Goodman it is a very simple thing. There are no shades of grey and there is no confusion on where he stands. And when he believes in something, he stands committed. And so has been his relationship to Soul-Patrol, when back in 2003 he entrusted in me the internet launch of Ray, Goodman & Brown's indy album "A Moment with Friends". http://www.soul-patrol.net/rgb_friends.ram

30 years ago Al Goodman was my friend, when he (along with Billy Brown and the late Harry Ray) helped me to lure many an unsuspecting female into God knows what.

And today Al Goodman is even more of a friend as he helps Soul-Patrol to navigate the uncharted waters of just how we are going to help save Black music & Black culture from destroying itself. So that not only makes Al Goodman my friend, it makes him your friend as well.

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I am a great fan of The Moments. Al Goodman was part of some classic and timeless music. Rest in peace, Mr. Goodman. Your music will live on!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    For years The Moments were one of those groups that I knew a fair few songs by but had never actually connected the dots and linked them all to the same artist. Needless to say that when I found out I loved them even more. RIP.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

For those The Moments fans out there, the first song on my "Slow and Funky" mix "So This is Goodbye" is by the group, in addition to "Sexy Mama" cued in later on during the mix. I like them so much, I had to give them a double-shot. :feelin_it:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    gonna spin some moments today
    RIP

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Al Goodman R.I.P.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    The best to ever do it in the sweet soul genre. I would pick out my beat up copy of "My Thing" this evening, if I had it in hand. RIP

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    What songs by the Moments really highlight Goodman as singer? I'm used to their falsettos (Moore, then Ray) and I can't think of any moments' song that really prominently puts up Goodman's baritone as lead.

• R.I.P. - Mr. Goodman

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    My Mom is a hugh Moments fan, this song especially. RIP to a great one.