Please to recommend a good free web design program.........

El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
Hey if anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. I am cheap as a mug and I am looking for a free web design program sorta like Parallels Plesk Sitebuilder .....also any recommendations on good inexpensive web servers would be appreciated also. Thanks a lot...peace

Comments

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    Get your torrent on...
    All software is free if you know where to look.
    Dreamweaver is the only software worth using.

As for cheap hosting I find 3ix.org really good. I pay $8 a month and I can host as many sites as I want with unlimited bandwidth. Just one site is $1 a month.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    DJ_WubWub said:
    Get your torrent on...
    All software is free if you know where to look.
    Dreamweaver is the only software worth using.

As for cheap hosting I find 3ix.org really good. I pay $8 a month and I can host as many sites as I want with unlimited bandwidth. Just one site is $1 a month.

thanks imma get dreamweaver

In the long run if you want to teach yourself web design go for the industry standard and just try to make yourself something simple to begin with. There are tonnes of tuts on the net (youtube videos) etc. But investing in a good book with accompanying CD is a very worthwile investment.

I taught myself photoshop and webdesign out of necessity as I had a business (www.spiritdrums.com) and didn't want to fork over money everytime i wanted to add something etc.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    For hosting check out Dreamhost.com

Usually $8.95 a month. There is a lifehacker code you can use. Which if you pay for 2 years hosting up front brings it down to something like $2.69 a month. Plus they will hook up your domain registration for free.

And I believe you get a free trial of like 2 weeks or something.

One click wordpress installs was nice.

Lifehacker code if you're interested is 222

Here is the lifehacker post.

http://lifehacker.com/5546722/best-personal-web-host-dreamhost

DJ_WubWub said:
    In the long run if you want to teach yourself web design go for the industry standard and just try to make yourself something simple to begin with. There are tonnes of tuts on the net (youtube videos) etc. But investing in a good book with accompanying CD is a very worthwile investment.

I taught myself photoshop and webdesign out of necessity as I had a business (www.spiritdrums.com) and didn't want to fork over money everytime i wanted to add something etc.

Hey thanks a million for the advice I am going to take this dreamweaver course I see listed at the Univ of Akron's Continuing Ed dept I was always interested in taking this course as well as the Adobe courses they offer...might as well do it now.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    sweatshop said:
    DJ_WubWub said:

Hey thanks a million for the advice I am going to take this dreamweaver course I see listed at the Univ of Akron's Continuing Ed dept I was always interested in taking this course as well as the Adobe courses they offer...might as well do it now.

Go ahead and drop for the dreamweaver student edition then, only 140$ and dreamweaver is probably the best/most stable/intuitive apps I have ever used. Unless this is just for one blog or something, then go about it via the methods mentioned above.

• save your money -- pay a professional.

breadwinner said:
    save your money -- pay a professional.

....save from not buying the program by spending to hire someone to do it for you.... umm yeah right....

• sweatshop said:
    breadwinner said:

....save from not buying the program by spending to hire someone to do it for you.... umm yeah right....

if you did for a little set up $ you could get it proper...from there on easily do it yourself...best free program: notepad. I would trust a nice Wordpress or CMS set up platform over you learning dreamweaver or some other dumb coding program.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Notepad.

- spidey

marwal_bust said:
    sweatshop said:
    breadwinner said:

if you did for a little set up $ you could get it proper...from there on easily do it yourself...best free program: notepad. I would trust a nice Wordpress or CMS set up platform over you learning dreamweaver or some other dumb coding program.

I see what you are saying but learning dreamweaver is something I have wanted to do for a minute...

It helps if you have good photoshop skills a lot of web designers just make the site in photoshop with layers and pay someone to covert to perfect css and html. the last site I did www.australianrecordfair.com I paid someone US$30 for this service.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    alternativly, if you are just looking for a simple flash site and dont know flash, there are a myriad of web-based site builders, Wix being the best one ive seen in a minute: www.wix.com

DJ_WubWub said:
    It helps if you have good photoshop skills a lot of web designers just make the site in photoshop with layers and pay someone to covert to perfect css and html. the last site I did www.australianrecordfair.com I paid someone US$30 for this service.

I have had it done this way in the past....