Your Top jazz albums from the last 25 years?

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
"modern" jazz dont get too much chatter here on the 'strut and im wondering if any of you cranky old stuck in the 60s-70's jazz and hiphop heads keep up with the current (relatively) jazz stuff.

No Reissues....
MIne Top Picks form the past 25 years are as follows (no particuliar order):

Cassandra Wilson - New Moon Daughter
Brad Mehldau - Largo
Wynton Marsalis - In This House, on this morning
Jason Moran - Same Mother
Pharaoh Sanders - Save Our Children
Lounge Lizards - No Pain For Cakes
Andrew Hill - Timelines
BIll Frissell - Gone, Like a train
Ron Miles- Womans Day
John Zorn - Naked City

what are yours?

Comments

• for my money this is the greatest thing sonny ever did...pharoah sanders absolutely kills it on this one as well.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    for my money this is the greatest thing sonny ever did...pharoah sanders absolutely kills it on this one as well.

man...i cant cosign big enough on this one.
    Cant believe i left this off my list.
    I know alot of people who ride for this album, too.

• channonchannon 65 Posts
    I honestly don't listen to much current jazz, but this one struck me off hearing a tune on NPR one day:

Artist is Christian Scott, very broody, almost dark sound...

channon said:
    I honestly don't listen to much current jazz, but this one struck me off hearing a tune on NPR one day:

Artist is Christian Scott, very broody, almost dark sound...

yeah, ive enjoyed his last few and he has a new one out that I have yet to check out.

And on the "euroman" tip, this brand new one is really doing it for me lalely:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I only pretend to like jazz if it's been sampled for rap songs.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    This should earn me a kicking...

Duderonomy said:
    This should earn me a kicking...

ill let that one slide.

if you had posted this, however....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

then we may have had a problem.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    If you haven't yet checked out Gretchen Parlato, I'd recommend it. Two full-length albums so far - S/T, which came out around '07, and In a Dream, which came out less than a year ago.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    mrmatthew said:

BIll Frissell - Gone, Like a train

huge Frissell fan, but that might actually be my favorite of his. Also love Good Dog, Happy Man; East-West; Unspeakable; Frisell w/Dave Holland & Elvin Jones... also a friend sent me this recently, knowing I'd be into it:

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    Caught the debut of Frissell's "Baghdad/Seattle Suite" back in February, and it was top notch: Eyvind Kang & Rahim al Haj filled out the trio. I don't think they've released anything as of yet, but look for it when if/when it comes out.

• A friend of mine rides hard for Kurt Rosenwinkle, haven't really checked him out myself. Q-Tip's also a fan.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here are some of mine, in no particular order:

-"A Single Sky"-Dave Douglas
    -"Like Minds"-Burton, Corea, Metheny, Haynes, and Holland.
    -"Heartcore"-Kurt Rosenwinkle.
    -"Symbols of Light (A Solution)-Greg Osby.
    -"The Mariac Suite"-Wynton Marsalis Septet.
    -"American Dreams"-Charlie Haden with Michael Brecker.
    -"Music We Are"-Jack DeJohnette.
    -"I Remember Miles"-Shirley Horn.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    "Qing Wen" from this album, popular on shows like Gilles P/Worldwide a few years ago. Spiritual jazz.

• Some of the Vandermark 5 album's like "Burn Notice" or "Airports For Light" or "Beat Reader" are worth checking out. But none of them are totally consistent and waffle between the Free, Modal and Straight Ahead veins. The man is nothing if not prolific, seems like Vandermark's released at least 10 recordings a year for the last 15 years.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Geat Philly jazz LP from 1987 -

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

Gilles Peterson hype related. But i'm not that that much exposed to current jazz if not for G.P.'s worlwide show.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    this one is one I just got recently & enjoy

• maldorurrmaldorurr 120 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    for my money this is the greatest thing sonny ever did...pharoah sanders absolutely kills it on this one as well.

Cosign well fvckin' hoard. Also a big fan of pretty much everything by Henry Threadgill, especially the '90s records with Very Very Circus and Make a Move with either Gene Lake or Pheeroan AkLaff on drums, both of whom are some meeeean muhfuggers. His last one, Up Popped the Two Lips with Zooid, is some very interesting kind of Euro-African chamber music with an Arabic touch.

Doesn't quite make the 25-year mark, but Anthony Davis' Of Blues and Dreams (1983, I think, on Sackville) is a great amalgam of very rigorous composition and free-improv.

Any and all Cecil Taylor.

David Sanchez with Lage Lund on guitar was straight at the Village Vanguard last year, but I've yet to hear a recording that was as brilliant as the gigs I caught.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Gotta look into that Sonny Sharrock LP...

This is a great Jazz set