another record store RIP!

spivyspivy 866 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
http://thephoenix.com/BLOGS/onthedownload/archive/2010/07/15/harvard-square-s-twisted-village-to-close-july-25.aspx

always sad when its one of the home town spots. haven't been in a few years but its a definite record nerd spot that will be missed.

Comments

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    That sucks. At least they'll still be selling records, but that shop was a nice place to hang out and browse.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    ???A lot of things happened here,??? he says, eyes wandering around the store. ???A lot of discussions happened, band members met each other. A lot of those discussions that once took place face-to-face still exist, they just exist in different forms. The internet simply wasn???t here when we opened. People come in now, head down, and head straight to the bins. They already heard the [song] clips online. I???m trying not to see it as a good or bad thing, it???s just a thing.???

this sorta cracks me up, as i ALWAYS went into the store that way, from the time they opened, just b/c it was never really my scene there... i wasn't crossing off my checklist, i just didn't see that place as any sort of social center for me personally...

so, now there basically no record stores in harvard sq proper besides newbury comics?

• It's sad this place is going. It wasn't a goldmine for rare records but the owners were super nice!

• [i]???
    so, now there basically no record stores in harvard sq proper besides newbury comics?

Well Weirdo Records is not too far away and it basically caters to the same crowd.

• channonchannon 65 Posts
    With all the lame-ass "VINYL IS BACK" "news" articles that always crop up, how do we explain a store dying off every couple months?

Are new stores opening and we just don't here about that (people resisting change related)?

//delete

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    channon said:
    With all the lame-ass "VINYL IS BACK" "news" articles that always crop up, how do we explain a store dying off every couple months?

Are new stores opening and we just don't here about that (people resisting change related)?

All it brings in my experience is the kind of tourists that walk in, family of five, dad talking about how he used to dig the Ramones "back before I met your mother", 9 year old son asks if we have Pearl Jam, they walk out buying nothing, complaining about the heat and wondering if they should head back to Times Square to the cool whir of the hotel air conditioner.

Not exactly keeping the doors open.

You know who supports record stores? We do. Record collectors and music buffs. If you haven't been to your own local shop in a couple months, don't ask yourself why when they close their doors.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    There's not really a trend of record shops closing down here in Austin. Specialty shops like Friends of Sound, Breakaway Records, and Backspin Records are certainly having to hustle constantly in this economy...but right now is actually the best it's ever been in this town as far as record shopping goes.
    Hopefully that can last...

Jonny_Paycheck said:

You know who supports record stores? We do. Record collectors and music buffs. If you haven't been to your own local shop in a couple months, don't ask yourself why when they close their doors.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only reason my local shop is keeping their doors open. The few times I travel to NYC, your shop as well as others get patronized as well, I'm not trying to ask "why" about the shops I hit, more about this noticeable epidemic, that shop owners seem to be up against, what are the overall causes. You named one, I'll add:

I blame eBay...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yeah sorry, I wasn't trying to direct that specifically at you. Just in general. These threads pop up every so often when a shop goes under... but from behind the counter, I sometimes see guys from across the world more frequently than guys who live across town.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    [/i]
    p_gunn said:

In Your Ear on Mt. Auburn is still there and still sucks, Planet is on JFK Street next to Burks and is not bad at all.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

In the last city I lived in there were at least 4 to 5 good used vinyl stores at any one time: Bigtones, Hindsight, Music Box, Tracs, Victoria St Exchange actually maybe more at some point. Within a year of me leaving town there was only one left. 10 years on there are none :face_melt:

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    holmes said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

In the last city I lived in there were at least 4 to 5 good used vinyl stores at any one time: Bigtones, Hindsight, Music Box, Tracs, Victoria St Exchange actually maybe more at some point. Within a year of me leaving town there was only one left. 10 years on there are none :face_melt:

Fuckin asshole.
    Go back.