Paging MoogMan

sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central

http://cgi.ebay.com/FORMULA-7-SOUND-FACTORY-ARTHUR-VEROCAI-FUNK-SOUL-BRAZIL-/200493981101?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item2eae5f5dad

I actually thought about it for a minute, but I just spent all my money on a pendant for Mrs. Saba on the occassion of the birth of Saba Jr. and for tolerating me generally.

The sound clips posted are pretty much the first three or four songs.

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I recently picked up the Anamaria Mauricio Vol. 2 with arrangements by Arthur Verocai reissue from him, and although it took almost three months to get here, it looks nice.

Here are twenty minuts of soundclips he posted.

http://www.soulsalaam.com/auctions/brazilbossafunk/anamariaemauricio2.mp3

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Hey Saba

Congrats for Saba Jr.'s anniversary. All the happiness to the little one.

I never saw that LP for sale here, so I can't say if that price is fair or not.
    Can't listen to the soundclips right now, but for that price is better that
    LP be a real FIRE.

MM

Thanks for the soundfile. Will check it later today.

Is that Anamaria and Mauricio album any good?
    I saw SoulSalaam selling it, but I thought it was quite expensive for a reissue.
    OG is impossible to find, though.

MM

sabadabada said:
    I recently picked up the Anamaria Mauricio Vol. 2 with arrangements by Arthur Verocai reissue from him, and although it took almost three months to get here, it looks nice.

MoogMan said:
    Thanks for the soundfile. Will check it later today.

Is that Anamaria and Mauricio album any good?
    I saw SoulSalaam selling it, but I thought it was quite expensive for a reissue.
    OG is impossible to find, though.

MM

sabadabada said:

Really, really good. I think its better than the first LP.

• Whoa! never seen that album - i assume its the same Formula 7 group that did three albums called Som Psicodelico right? I don't like this sellers hyperbolic descriptions much. I would also recommend the Anjo Mau Nacional Novela he has up for sale just for the track O Trem By Orchestra Som Livre.

I've got a full rip of Ana Maria E Mauricio Vol.2, i'll post it here after i've uploaded it. I agree, it's better than Vol.1.

I dont think its the same Forula 7. Its much more in the Gerson King Combo, James Brown funk vein.

• sabadabada said:
    I dont think its the same Forula 7. Its much more in the Gerson King Combo, James Brown funk vein.
    Just listened to the soundclips - i don't think its the same group either now.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    djmario said:
    sabadabada said:
    Just listened to the soundclips - i don't think its the same group either now.

No, it doesn't sound the same at all.

The clips sound pretty great and I'm curious to hear some of the other cuts, like the Brazuca cover.

Not $900 curious, though.

thanks

djmario said:

Thanks, G.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    That Forumla 7 sounds like a pretty tepid funk terd to me, but then again I don't really like any Brazilian straight up funk ala Gerson King, Cry Babies, etc. I gotta have some of that local Brazilian sound to go with the funk to get into it.

Now that Anamaria & Mauricio on the other hand is killer and has been at the top of my want list for some time now. Why is it so damn impossible to find an OG? Vol 1 isn't that rare.

I've bought from Soul Salaam before... he may be the slowest shipper of all time, but he does get it to you eventually and has great records that don't turn up too often.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    djmario said:

Wow thanks. That's a great album that will be playing a lot this summer.

• MoogMan said:
    djmario said:

Thanks, G.
    You're welcome, it's my pleasure. I haven't a clue why Volume 2 is way rarer than volume 1. It sucks though, since volume 2 is way better!

As for Brasilian funk with a local touch, you might enjoy this:

Neno Exporta Som - Deixa A Tristeza.

Neno later changed his performing name to Bedeu & has a fair few releases under that name. However, this compacto is the only release i know of under the name Neno Exporta Som. The next copy of it to turn up is mine!

Maybe vol. 2 is rarer because it didn't sell enough and was aborted.
    I'm just guessing here, though.

Thanks for the tip on the Neno's record.
    The next second copy I find is yours. ;)

MM

djmario said:
    You're welcome, it's my pleasure. I haven't a clue why Volume 2 is way rarer than volume 1. It sucks though, since volume 2 is way better!

As for Brasilian funk with a local touch, you might enjoy this:

Neno Exporta Som - Deixa A Tristeza.

Neno later changed his performing name to Bedeu & has a fair few releases under that name. However, this compacto is the only release i know of under the name Neno Exporta Som. The next copy of it to turn up is mine!

• MoogMan said:

MM
    You're welcome again. Haha, serves me right for sharing information about it before i sourced a copy! all i say is good luck finding one, i only know of three people with copies and none of them wish to sell it. There are bound to be more of them around though.

b/w this tune is more samba funk orientated cover of an Os Originais Do Samba classic. This time i have a copy :P:

Hey G

Like always, I was just bi*ching with you.
    I don't have much expectations on finding these obscure
    compactos. They only sold a handful of copies and are like
    hens teeth.
    You know if I ever find 2 copies one is yours, right? ;)

MM

djmario said:

You're welcome again. Haha, serves me right for sharing information about it before i sourced a copy! all i say is good luck finding one, i only know of three people with copies and none of them wish to sell it. There are bound to be more of them around though.

b/w this tune is more samba funk orientated cover of an Os Originais Do Samba classic. This time i have a copy :P:

• This is good, though IMO the Salinas version is better. Did Jorge Ben ever record it himself?

djmario said:
    MoogMan said:

MM

• MintingDown said:
    This is good, though IMO the Salinas version is better. Did Jorge Ben ever record it himself?
    As far as i know; no he didn't. I agree, Salinas' version is pretty nice too.

b/w

Ed*on - i know you're just fooling around :P knowing about these records and being able to hear them is enough for me!

Yeah, you're right.
    But it doesn't hurt having the real thing, right?

djmario said:
    Ed*on - i know you're just fooling around :P knowing about these records and being able to hear them is enough for me!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    djmario said:
    knowing about these records and being able to hear them is enough for me!

Often I wish that was the case for me ;)

• FortyFivan said:
    djmario said:

haha, how about sending some of that spare cash that you seem to have so much of my way then!

Back to the original point though, the Formula 7 album sold for $700. Who gripped it; Japanese? Sabadabadabadabada? someone else on here?

djmario said:
    FortyFivan said:
    djmario said:

haha, how about sending some of that spare cash that you seem to have so much of my way then!

Back to the original point though, the Formula 7 album sold for $700. Who gripped it; Japanese? Sabadabadabadabada? someone else on here?

Not me. It was okay and certainly rare, but I agree that it lacked local flavor and was basically a second-rate funk joint.

• I'm still curious - who bought this record exactly....?

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Captain Planet reviewed that Formula 7 record a while back. I dig the song he posted, but haven't heard the rest of the LP.

Sounds a little West African to me for some reason.

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/blog/indepth/captain_planet/