It all began in NOLA (Biggie/Aaron Neville-R)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central

Neville's first verses = Biggie's "Warning"

Crazy coincidence?

Or was Biggie down with early Neville?

Comments

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    I don't find it at all crazy that Biggie would have been playing some Aaron Neville, Dude covered The Delphonics on his second album (Not an obvious hit, either), made refrences to the Isley Brothers, he had Superfly playing on his debut's intro, all this leads me to beleive he was jamming to old school r&b alot. Plus Aaron was really big from the 60's on, i'm sure biggies mom kept an Aaron Neville's greatest hits album around.

peace,xavier

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    there's gonna be alot of slow singin and flower bringin if my burgular alarm starts ringin

nothing really more than that line verbatim right? and in "Over You" tbe line w/ flower bringin comes before slow singin...

always thought the lyrics of "Over You" were pretty badass. would be cool if Biggie threw that in as a shoutout to AN, but also it's far from unbelievable that it could be coincidence...

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    The lyric in the Neville song is "sad signing"; the Big lyric is "slow signing." The only verbatim is "Gonna be," and "flower bringin'."

Tenuous.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The more research done, the more people will realize that like 90% of the culture initially ran through NOLA.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Does it need to be verbatim to be influenced by it?
    Not only is the arrangment/syntax the same, it has the same theme.

Only thng I wouldn't say over the other is that he necessarily grew up with it because of his Mom or something like that..he could have heard it at a Denny's and those lines stood out to him or quietly embedded themselves into his head for later output.