sampling laws & the current state of hip hop production...

edited July 2010 in Strut Central
I'm a producer/ dj/ beatdigger/ sample fanatic. since the late 90's- present it just seems like hip hop ( both emcees & production) has been at an all time low. & with dudes like kanye west, who in my opinion is dope but a bit overrated, seem to have a stronghold in that department, along with major label politics (& bullsh*t). & these labels wonder why record sales are at an all time low, partially blamed on the internet. will or could there possibly be another golden age or new wave of artists & producers who'll take it to the next level yet take it back to basics at the same time? what are your thoughts? holla...

Comments

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    With things like ACTA and the Obama administration stepping up anti-piracy plans, it's only gonna get worse.
    ???

• yeah you've definitely got a point, but that's only going against our american & God given right to freedom of expression, if such a thing ever even exsisted. i have no problem paying the original artist for clearing samples, not that I'm that obvious to begin with. there's so many producers (loopdiggas) out there who stay very much under the radar & hardly ever if at all clear their samples. not that i would blow up their spot cuz i wouldn't want that (or even let it) happen. i just feel as if music is an art just as much as sampling is an artform. & to sit in your basement, bedroom, attic or wherever you create & sit there contemplating whether you should loop or chop something up wondering if you'll be considered 'old school' or whether labels will want to clear it or not is absurd. it seems like everywhere i go & meet heads like myself or music lovers in general, everyone gets nostalgic, reminiscing about how they miss 'that feeling'. doesn't mean we shoulld stick to sampling atomic dog & funky worm, as there's SO many records out there. i really dig the neptunes & timbaland & even they sample from time to time... there's gotta be a balance & not just jerk music and casio keyboards. to me it's a simple formula: 'old' school basics with new school asethics. combine the two & there you have it instead of cats like plies doing remakes of 80's songs like pina colada

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

As Peter Adarkwah at BBE suggested to me about 8 years ago (after passing on a CD of beats I submitted), producers should let the art guide their actions. I was focused to heavily on chopping up my samples, instead of letting the art just flow. You should just make the track however you wish to, and let the label people/lawyers worry about sample clearances and such. The artist should focus on the art, otherwise, she/he detracts attention from their creative process. I just sample how I wish, looping outright or chopping up samples, because all I care is making hot tracks. Feel me?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• you're absolutely right man, i feel you. there shouldn't be ANY kinda restraints in art, or else it isn't art. i went through this VERY short phase a couple years ago, where i knew an a&r at def jam, wanting to present my beats to ghostface, who, in my opinion, has a very choice in picking beats (sampled). but (a&r) dude was more concerned with getting 'paid off the top' & not paying for clearance. I'd make beats thinking ' i hope the label, not ghost mind you, who i was initially making these beats for, 'likes this'. needless to say that didn't go far. I'll be damned if ANYONE dictates how i make art. the industry doesn't get it. it's funny; for years the majors have sh*tted on the indie underdog & have conquered, only to be suffering now. def jam was the giant back in the days with the best roster. now look at them, putting redman & the roots on hold while they promote ne-yo... i just think these 'giants' don't get it & don't really listen to the streets. which is where hip hop started. chop, loop whatever. as long as it's fresh, current & relevant. as long as there are records & turntables people will always sample. and it never really went anywhere. it's been here the whole time...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

As Kev Brown said, "I do what I do." Nuff said.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• i couldn't have said it any better brother lol, my feelings exactly. peace my man.

• Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

As Peter Adarkwah at BBE suggested to me about 8 years ago (after passing on a CD of beats I submitted), producers should let the art guide their actions. I was focused to heavily on chopping up my samples, instead of letting the art just flow. You should Just make the track however you wish to, and let the label people/lawyers worry about sample clearances and such. The artist should focus on the art, otherwise, she/he detracts attention from their creative process. I just sample how I wish, looping outright or chopping up samples, because all I care is making a hot tracks. Feel me?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• dj mfasis on crack said:
    I'm a producer/ dj/ beatdigger/ sample fanatic. since the late 90's- present it just seems like hip hop ( both emcees & production) has been at an all time low. & with dudes like kanye west, who in my opinion is dope but a bit overrated, seem to have a stronghold in that department, along with major label politics (& bullsh*t). & these labels wonder why record sales are at an all time low, partially blamed on the internet. will or could there possibly be another golden age or new wave of artists & producers who'll take it to the next level yet take it back to basics at the same time? what are your thoughts? holla...