The Making Of Aquemini.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
Late pass? Irregardless, it's definitely a great and informative read!

http://clatl.com/atlanta/the-making-of-outkasts-aquemini/Content?oid=1552576

Comments

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    irregarless

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    empanadamn said:
    irregarless, holmes!

• dayday 9,611 Posts

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Thanks for posting -- great read.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    white_tea said:
    Thanks for posting -- great read.

+1. Especially enjoyable considering I've been listening to the new Big Boi all day today and thinking about Outkast a lot.

• who wrote the horn line for spottieottiedopalicious? was it a sample that they had replayed by studio cats or an og?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I'm a little surprised this thread has very little response.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Herm said:
    I'm a little surprised this thread has very little response.

Needs more Drake.

b/w

This article is an excellent read. I still remember getting my face melted the first time I heard Aquemini

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Great read, I don't have much to add as far as the thread goes.
    Except that "Mamacita" ruins an otherwise perfect record.

I replaced the vocal version with the instrumental on my ipod.

Jonny_Paycheck said:

This is so true.

And yeah, P***, I very clearly recall the first time I heard Aquemini, as well as the next 300 times I heard it.

I may be misremembering this, but doesn't faux_rillz esquire hatt on this rackord?

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

This is so true.

And yeah, P***, I very clearly recall the first time I heard Aquemini, as well as the next 300 times I heard it.

I may be misremembering this, but doesn't faux_rillz esquire hatt on this rackord?

No, but I do think that it is inferior to Stankonia, which seems to be a minority opinion.

Also, I think it has some sequencing issues--I probably would have tacked "West Savannah" on the end as a bonus cut. And, as noted, it contains what is hands down the worst track Outkast has ever recorded.

!PAPPADONNA!

Will anyone ride? That would be a bona fide act of courage, and I think I would be forced to respect it.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    !PAPPADONNA!

Will anyone ride? That would be a bona fide act of courage, and I think I would be forced to respect it.

^^ said sangthin in Spanish

Surely a man of your culinary prowess rides for a line like "In the microwave I got your favorite/Stouffer's, lasagna, that's how much I want ya."

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    oh cripes I had thankfully forgotten all about the endless fast forwarding of "mamacita/papadonna" when rocking Aquemini cassette in the car, now it all comes flooding back, replacing the vocal with the instrumental sounds like the best idea ever. Is the instro readily available?

hogginthefogg said:
    Surely a man of your culinary prowess rides for a line like "In the microwave I got your favorite/Stouffer's, lasagna, that's how much I want ya."

LOL--I just Googled the lyrics and discovered that Big Boi and Witchdoctor are both apparently on "Mamacita'? I genuinely thought it was just Andre and the girl--it's been that long since I've gotten past the first thirty seconds.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    anybody got the inst?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    !PAPPADONNA!

If the first verse and the hook were cut from the song, sure.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Still their best album for me. And yeah, this is a great read.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Yeah I've been saving this to read properly at a quiet moment at work. I love reading these kind of breakdowns of albums as is and it being one of my favourite albums makes it even more enjoyable. Thanks for posting it.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    who wrote the horn line for spottieottiedopalicious? was it a sample that they had replayed by studio cats or an og?

Don't know, but I've heard live bands cover the horn section a couple of times and wondered if it's in homage to Spottie or something else myself.