Hava Nagila

ayresayres 1,452 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Lil dude question: does anyone know of a standard version of Hava Nagila? Whose version is the best to play at weddings? Preferably longer than 3-4 minutes. The one I have sucks in quality, and I get the feeling it is not the official jumpoff.

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Lil dude question: does anyone know of a standard version of Hava Nagila? Whose version is the best to play at weddings? Preferably longer than 3-4 minutes. The one I have sucks in quality, and I get the feeling it is not the official jumpoff.

I had bad luck with an orchestral version, but threw it into overdrive with the Dick Dale version. That was a hit.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    The Ventures version is nice too.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    awesome, thank you both.

• if you want to get even wilder, try "hava tequila" by billy strange.

• i've got a disco version by the bojewsky boys with a bongo break and everything.

jewcy

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts

jewcy

graemlin request

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    if you want to get even wilder, try "hava tequila" by billy strange.

MP3 Request!

i've got a disco version by the bojewsky boys with a bongo break and everything.

jewcy

MP3 Request!

• no easy way to get vinyl into my computer, but if i remember next time i'm headed
    to someone's place where i can do that...

• cain't do it, i'm afraid...you'll just have to use your imagination! hava nagila mexican-brass-band style...melody line played first on trumpet, then on billy's twangy low-end guitar...nice bouncy rhythm...got it?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

The Dylan bootleg version is the one to rock. Under 1:00, too.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    My sister went to a very posh wedding outside of Delhi where they played Hava Negila. Not only was she the only Jew in the mansion, she was the only white person. Apparently the crowd went wild and did some sort of Bollywood version of the hora. How Hava Neglia infiltrated the upper echelons of Indian society, I've no idea, but there we are.

I'm definitely feeling these new graemlins. It'll be a while before the novelty where's off.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Bollywood version of the hora.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    which one was on the snatch soundtrack? i love that version.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Ayres I will lend you my Harry Belafonte version. It's a standard and classy straight take on the song.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    ooh i got some other stuff i want to borrow from you to. i'll send you a email in a minute

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Someone needs to make a really extendo klezish 12" of this joint. House bands rock this for no less then 10 minutes because us Heebs love to get jiggy on some old country sounds. Every version I have is way to short to get the chosen people body movin'.

Don't forget that my male cousins will eventually make their way to the inner circle to bust this move, but only after the 6 min mark and several G and Ts.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    My sister went to a very posh wedding outside of Delhi where they played Hava Negila. Not only was she the only Jew in the mansion, she was the only white person. Apparently the crowd went wild and did some sort of Bollywood version of the hora. How Hava Neglia infiltrated the upper echelons of Indian society, I've no idea, but there we are.

Weird. As I was trolling through google images under hora dance this was on the second page.

compliments of DJ Desi

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Freddie McGregor & Studio One Band version is nice

• I thought there was a version in Welcome to the dollhouse, but I'm wrong. The jewish garage band in that movie is great though and they do wack versions of other classics plus deranged originals. Anybody noticed that band?

• Lil dude question: does anyone know of a standard version of Hava Nagila? Whose version is the best to play at weddings? Preferably longer than 3-4 minutes. The one I have sucks in quality, and I get the feeling it is not the official jumpoff.

I had bad luck with an orchestral version, but threw it into overdrive with the Dick Dale version. That was a hit.

I was just gonna mention the Dick Dale version! Killer!

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I thought there was a version in Welcome to the dollhouse, but I'm wrong. The jewish garage band in that movie is great though and they do wack versions of other classics plus deranged originals. Anybody noticed that band?

My dorm president in college was the drummer in that band. Great big fat guy, like morbidly obese, with real curly hair. He was a rich kid who would always make jello shots for everyone on his hallway.