Catnip Revealed: An LA Weekly Madlib Interview

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
Madlib is nowhere to be found. Peanut Butter Wolf, the head of his label, Stones Throw, doesn't know where he is. Despite repeated phone calls, Eothen (Egon) Alapatt, the imprint's general manager, hasn't heard back in 48 hours. J. Rocc, one of his best friends, is baffled too. They were supposed to have gone record shopping yesterday, but "shit came up." Currently, Madlib is missing the rare interview appointment, but the unexpected is expected. So long as he turns up around Memorial Day, a few hours before his flight to Copenhagen for a potential collaboration four days from now, no one's about to put out an Amber Alert.

http://www.laweekly.com/2010-06-24/music/the-madlib-mystique/

Comments

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    The interstellar infinity of his music indicates liberation from the limitations of gravity and time.

Pretty pointless article.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    "People only know me for what they've heard, but that only represents about 10 percent of what I've done."

:oh_my:

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Do Americans spell 'spector' as 'specter'? Or just the LA Weekly?

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    "He has records from almost every nation," says his frequent collaborator, hard-boiled Detroit rapper Guilty Simpson. "He doesn't just buy them to sample. He wants to understand each song. He doesn't need to know the language to realize musicality."

That's one of the reasons that BK in Africa was so amazing to me. I'm actually african and the way he incorporated elements like whistles the way they are used to beat time in traditional dance rituals or pygmy chants or seamlessly mixing polyrhythmic drumming is further proof of his ability to deeply understand music from all horizons. unfortunately stuff like that goes over the head of the casual listener. I wouldn't have expected that from this forum anyway

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    He's only releasing 16 albums this year? Why so lazy?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    damms said:
    "He has records from almost every nation," says his frequent collaborator, hard-boiled Detroit rapper Guilty Simpson. "He doesn't just buy them to sample. He wants to understand each song. He doesn't need to know the language to realize musicality."

That's one of the reasons that BK in Africa was so amazing to me. I'm actually african and the way he incorporated elements like whistles the way they are used to beat time in traditional dance rituals or pygmy chants or seamlessly mixing polyrhythmic drumming is further proof of his ability to deeply understand music from all horizons. unfortunately stuff like that goes over the head of the casual listener. I wouldn't have expected that from this forum anyway

:get_on_my_level:

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    batmon said:
    damms said:

:get_on_my_level:
    it seems I should have put a 'though' instead of 'anyway' at the end of that post. obviously some took it the wrong way

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    Still speaking of 'Lib here is the song he closed his (incredible) 2nd set on GP's Worldwide with last year

does anyone have an idea what it might be ?

one of the 1st songs in that set was this other nasty joint

the 2h broadcast is still available here: http://core.thomaslaupstad.com/gilles-peterson-worldwide-2009-06-18-madlib-j-rocc-as-guest-hosts/
    there's no tracklist for his 2nd set though

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    damms said:
    I'm actually african and the way he incorporated elements like whistles the way they are used to beat time in traditional dance rituals or pygmy chants or seamlessly mixing polyrhythmic drumming is further proof of his ability to deeply understand music from all horizons. unfortunately stuff like that goes over the head of the casual listener. I wouldn't have expected that from this forum anyway

YES!

MORE PLEASE!

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    damms said:
    BK

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    damms said:

pygmy chants

:face_melt:

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    faux_rillz said:

YES!

MORE PLEASE!

• damms said:
    Still speaking of 'Lib here is the song he closed his (incredible) 2nd set on GP's Worldwide with last year

Am i alone in feeling that this loop above isnt strong enough to to last a whole 1:40 even with the subtle changes? (I do really dig the drum pattern though)

I kind of feel like this is typical of where Madlib has landed with his style for the most part. For 20 seconds i'll really enjoy the beat but any more and i grow tired and kind of wish the track actually would go someplace or at least do some kind of ABA in song structure. instead i'm given subtle cellular changes which in turn becomes something stagnant and bland after a whole minute or so of the same thing. not hatin, just some criticism.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    smoking_robot said:
    damms said:

Am i alone in feeling that this loop above isnt strong enough to to last a whole 1:40 even with the subtle changes? (I do really dig the drum pattern though)

I kind of feel like this is typical of where Madlib has landed with his style for the most part. For 20 seconds i'll really enjoy the beat but any more and i grow tired and kind of wish the track actually would go someplace or at least do some kind of ABA in song structure. instead i'm given subtle cellular changes which in turn becomes something stagnant and bland after a whole minute or so of the same thing. not hatin, just some criticism.
    here here

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    Do Americans spell 'spector' as 'specter'? Or just the LA Weekly?

:real_headz:

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I'm through with collecting records. From now on, I'm going to revolutionise them.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Irrespective of what any of us think of Madlib, that was a fucking diabolical article.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    IRREGARDLESS IT MAY BE A MUTE POINT:

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    This article is a newspaper based blowjob, hopefully someone got a reacharound for it.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I just saw it referenced somewhere else...person was loving it!

The article is insane. I cannot imagine reading an article written like that about any subject without thinking, "what the FUCK is this dude talking about?" Dude definitely partook in Madlib's weed offerings...crazy words in a row in there...

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    He's probably got paid by the word so he tried to stretch that schitt.

Papi gave me one pie, but it cook like two

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    Fanzine article.

I love polyphonic pygmy singing, but haven't checked for Madlib in ages. I'm certainly not hating, but his whole manufactured mystical auteur hermit steez are tired. Quasimoto is his best work. With his other schitt, he does not even approach the Sun Ra levels he tries appropriate. That said i know a couple of very musical dudes, who ride hard for him, so maybe there are levels in his music, that my tone deaf mind cannot understand.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Think a lot of these alternative weeklies just pay a flat rate for features and smaller articles.

Did appreciate 'Lb's reading list. Might pick up that book about magic by the Blondie bassist.

• white_tea said:
    Did appreciate 'Lb's reading list. Might pick up that book about magic by the Blondie bassist.

that book is worth picking up, lachman loses his way a bit when he tries to apply his ideas about the 60s to the 2000s in the final (short) section, but that doesn't hurt the point he is trying to make. also, what appears in the article is not an accurate description of what the book is about.