Good Records NYC Online

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
We put this in the announcement section last week, but I don't think many people saw it.
Jonny Paycheck and myself launched the new site complete with a web store:
http://www.goodrecordsnyc.com

I know a lot of people on here are web designers and programmers, so feel free to chime in with any helpful advice. I'm definitely interested to see what the strut thinks.

Comments

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    YO!! The store is dope. It's simple, short record descriptions, good prices and easy navigation. Great work guys!!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    You might want to start by changing your homepage meta title.

Right now it just says 'Home'

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I don't like how the "buy" button is secluded.

The site needs for sale schitt on the front page to entice .

Wishin when you hit the buy button it would have the same appeal as the front page i.e. colors, layout.

you have your email written out on the footer good.records @ gmail.com

Spambots will go wild with that shit.

A contact form is your best bet

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I am a fan.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    great site/selection

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    nice work Tom

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Is there a way I can listen to the records you're selling without buying anything?

• Once im in the store, there's no easy way to navigate back to the main website. There should be a link from the prostore shopping cart site back to the main site.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Good job, Jonny & Delay.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Thanks for all the tips, everyone...

We're working on them and a lot of them will be simple fixes. A couple won't be, but we'll try our best.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    heed Raj's advice and get that email addy off your pages PRONTO...we once went from a couple spams a day to literally 5 to 6 hundred a day overnight until I learned the value of the contact form.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I never realized you were so lose to my neigborhood. I'll have to come by and lurk.

The_Hook_Up said:
    heed Raj's advice and get that email addy off your pages PRONTO...we once went from a couple spams a day to literally 5 to 6 hundred a day overnight until I learned the value of the contact form.

oh yea. same thing happened to me. I just changed it to read contact, and then put my email adress in the hyperlink. I also changed to a gmail account for email rather than the emal that came with my domain and the gmail filter is much better and I rarely get any spam now.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Looking good! You still need to put your hours up on there though. Also, your online store isn't as much fun to drink in. But overall, very nice.

Your site NEEDS better SEO. There are no meta tags whatsoever. And the homepage has no text. Even your address is a graphic which won't get any love from the Google crawlers. If you are going to have any luck pulling people off the street your site needs to be optimized much better.

Also, the site lacks cohesiveness, the store, blog, and homepage all have different looks (NAGL).

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Good start fellas, really like the stream of pictures on the main page. The two things I noticed was your blog and mixes section go to the same page, and apart from hitting the back button there is no way to navigate to the website's main page from those pages.

Oooo. Oooo. Do me next. Whats wrong with my site.

other than the fact that it belongs to me, and that it hasn't been updated in a year.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    RAJ said:
    You might want to start by changing your homepage meta title.

Right now it just says 'Home'

stepping to the home, i await to open the door.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    i have also noticed that you don't highlight the Hand of King David, a great selling point for that record. maybe you can put the image in ms paint and draw the red circle around it saying "AYOO"

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Some thoughts:

- the store side is a totally different site. Aside from building a shopping cart system by e-hand, I don't think there's a whole lot that can be done about the formatting.

- the mix link is supposed to route to the blog posts that are categorized as mixes (on the original store blog, there were lots of these). Unfortunately in migrating the thing over the original blog was deleted and so there are currently no mixes. We're working on this... should be some up later today.

- Keep the comments coming, I am not savvy about this stuff at all, so it's all very helpful.