McChrystal, Petraeus, Petraeus, McChrystal

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2010/0623/In-replacing-McChrystal-with-Gen.-David-Petraeus-Obama-reasserts-authority

Does it make a difference?
Does any one care?
Did the president need to assert his authority?
Was McChrystal more important to victory and should have been left alone?

I don't understand the hubbub. McChrystal and aides got caught telling a journalist the things they say in frustration. If the president seemed intimidated and uninformed to McChrystal, I think that is a good thing for us to know. It was already well known that the pres, and the VP differed on Afghanistan, so that is not news. That the general's staff has a nickname for the vp is not that big of a deal. In my way of thinking.

I think it is all out of proportion. I don't think what was reported was that bad, and I don't think that firing McChrystal is the correct response.

But that's just me.

Comments

• fauxteurfauxteur 342 Posts
    Agreed, and Petraeus already has enough to do.

Obama was reportedly "furious" ....
    who's been running the White House PR lately? :eyeroll:

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Karzai likes McChrystal. That makes me not like him automatically.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    McChrystal ripped the COMMANDER IN CHIEF in public... tough to recover, and definitely makes the C.I.C.'s job tougher, as he has to convince the armed forces that he actually has authority.

From a man who, because of his position, should define discipline it was a shocking lapse, and definitely fair to relieve him of his duty.

• it was a breathtakingly immature and inappropriate move for a man of such great responsibility. that lapse in judgement i think itself was gross enough but the fact is how could the civiliian leadership that is at the top of the chain of command continue to work in good faith with a dude who (along with his entourage who are simply cosigning the general) is openly mocking them in the pages of a major publication. the totality of the statements and barbs and jokes paints a picture that is hard to ignore.

the general serves at the pleasure of the president and not the other way around.

if he had some critical remarks he had to get off his chest he should have waited until e had retired.

crabmongerfunk said:
    major publication.

debatable.

• gareth said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    major publication.

debatable.

i never said it was a good publication but when you can pick up a copy at any 7-11 next to the beef jerky jar and lottery tickets at the counter then you get called a major publication.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

I think it is all out of proportion. I don't think what was reported was that bad, and I don't think that firing McChrystal is the correct response.

McChrystal gave Barack no choice in the matter. At all. He had to go.

crabmongerfunk said:
    gareth said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    major publication.

debatable.

i never said it was a good publication but when you can pick up a copy at any 7-11 next to the beef jerky jar and lottery tickets at the counter then you get called a major publication.

Just funnin', dog- it's a music snob site.

Agree on McC, as we've seen. Fuck him, and that silly mag.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    gareth said:
    . Fuck him, and that silly mag.

That magazine is aimed at the idealistic, impressionable and well intended 15-25 year old ....and I can appreciate their youthful naivete on lessons yet to be learned.

It's the folks over 30 that subscribe to their viewpoint(s) that are concerning.

McDoofus gave Obama no choice.

• That magazine is aimed at the idealistic, impressionable and well intended 15-25 year old ....

isn;t that more like the spin magazine demographic?

its hard to believe now that rolling stone magazine was once one of the premier underground publications in north america,

Spin is a music magazine that dabbles in politics.

Rolling Stone has become a political magazine that dabbles in music.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Who's The Boss?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I'm no expert, but I always assumed that Rolling Stone was aimed at Baby Boomers.

And Obama clearly had no choice, I don't understand how anybody could fail to see that.

His choice of Petraeus and the rationale he gave were spot on also.

Horseleech said:
    I'm no expert, but I always assumed that Rolling Stone was aimed at Baby Boomers.

My kids have subscribed for 5-6 years and I read them regularly....if it's truly aimed at Baby Boomers I'm embarrassed for an entire generation.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Horseleech said:

My kids have subscribed for 5-6 years and I read them regularly....if it's truly aimed at Baby Boomers I'm embarrassed for an entire generation.

I didn't say it was aimed well.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Horseleech said:

I always say that Rolling Stone is aimed at teeny boppers and baby boomers. No middle ground. Dylan. Gaga. That's it.

The issue wasn't with McC having a disdain for leadership but his expressing it to any reporter, much less one who would make the story about him, not the war or his war strategy. What makes it even worse is that it seems that the whole story was set up by his public relations staff -- some of whom have already and rightfully resigned.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Don't you mean Betray Us. I thought the president had "no faith" in him or his failed stratagies?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    [

[

POAST OF THE YEAR!!