SENTENCES: THE LIFE OF M.F. GRIMM

staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
For the past three years, Grimm has gone from rapper to respected author thanks to the success of his Eisner-nominated, Glyph Award winning autobiographical graphic novel Sentences: The Life of MF Grimm.

Anyone up on this? Havent seen it but it looks interesting - he also dropped a new album. I've always kept checking his music out - although often uneven, I like his flow and content. He always has something I can appreciate on his albums. You have to hand it to the guy - way to keep coming back - reinventing himself as a comic book author, winning awards and still releasing music? I respect the mans hustle.
Written by Percy Carey; Art and Cover by Ronald Wimberly
"Fascinating."???TIME OUT NEW YORK

"Powerful."???NATIONAL PUBLIC RADIO

"With Wimberly's elastic drawings punctuating drama and humor, Carey skillfully transports hip-hop's braggadocio energy and irresistible rhythms onto the page. GRADE: A-"???THE WASHINGTON POST

"Fresh and urgent."???LIBRARY JOURNAL

Grimm Comic book preview

Also some joints on the new lp sound good to me..

Comments

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    i bought this graphic novel quite some time ago now and haven't read it since i bought it, but i remembered it to be pretty entertaining. good art work too. not a massive grimm fan but it was good to see what he is about...

• Grimm got an amazing story..perseverance..big up to Grimm..that comic is dope!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    the comic looks great. i can do without his tracks tho.
    still, props to grimm for getting thru thick and thin

• I bought awhile back too. It's a good read read. It tells his life story coming up. He was Sesame St when he was a little kid.
    Not really a fan of the new album but think the dude has way more hustle than alot of these underground rappers.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    this will always be classic to me

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    jammy said:
    i bought this graphic novel quite some time ago now and haven't read it since i bought it, but i remembered it to be pretty entertaining. good art work too. not a massive grimm fan but it was good to see what he is about...

• Awwww man. The graphic novel was okay. As with most Vertigo titles, there could have been a bit more editing on the writing but hey, it's just a comic book right? I thought the artwork was just ehhhhhhhhhh, but I'm a snob so there ya go. I can't knock MF Grimm for doing his thang tho'. He has a very interesting story, but I think with some good editorial direction his story could've been told better. Either way, he's done more than me so I guess I should just congratulate him on his accomplishments and continue to be some dweeb on a record internet board critiquing people who are doing bigger thangs than me. So it goes...

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    the comic looks great.

Jim Mahfood is nice with his.