How good is that Discovery Club LP?

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
http://www.collectorsfrenzy.com/Details.aspx?id=380081585841

I did a search in the forum but nothing really came up - I just wanted to get an idea of how good that Discovery Club LP is. Killer funk from start to finish? One tracker? Breaks?

I've just been offered it oin trade or a sizable cash amount - just weighing up which one I'll take!

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• i think someone posted the audio of this record a while back and i remember thinking it was pretty meh aside from the funkadelic cover...i also recall that record being at the centre of a dispute between a long-time board member and a now-departed, foul mouthed angry dude...

definitely a gripped on record. you could prob flip it for something you really want...

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Damn, so a bit of a one tracker then? What Funkadelic track to they cover?

And yeah... I remmeber the situation you're talkkkking about ;)

• http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/48217/

edit: this is much better than i remember it..

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    I saw this record once selling for 475, BTN on ebay from an Atlanta seller sold a copy for 750 but the condition was like VG.
    Some years back it was being compared to "east of underground".

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    shooterali said:
    I saw this record once selling for 475, BTN on ebay from an Atlanta seller sold a copy for 750 but the condition was like VG.
    Some years back it was being compared to "east of underground".

Ebay dude discojohn had it up for auction earlier this year in VG+ condition. He didn't list it as Discovery Club but put the name of the two bands in the listing instead. It sold for $175, I was the second highest bidder :(

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I have this and think it's a little more than a one-tracker, but not by much.

Underground Railroad is by far the better band and their Funkadelic cover (I Got A Thing) is probably the highlight, but there's a couple of other decent tunes as well. There's a rare 45 of 'Ain't No Second Best' b/w 'Harlem On My Mind', which are probably the two best cuts after 'I Got A Thing'

Not essential unless you are a serious soul/funk collector.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Thanks for the input guys. The guy has a few other grails he might let go actually, including that Marvin Whoremonger record that might be more consistent.