Toronto Hip Hop Ummm *Cough* "Festival"???

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
When did hip hop start having "Festivals"???

Festival directed by Lil X...

Ludacris, Kanye West, Lil Jon & The Eastside, Nas, Busta Rhymes, Ciara, Fat Joe, Mos Def, Kardinal Offishal, Brooke Valentine, Rascalz, Keshia Chante and more.

DJ and MC battles and get up-close-and-personal with their favourite artists at the Artists Meet and Greets. Sneaker Boutique/Gallery. Canada's first luxury auto show. Video Vixan[/b] contest. Atari Gaming Area. Graffiti expo. B Boy & B Girl battles.

$59.50+Tax+Service charge for 1 day
$79.50+Tax+Service charge for VIP 1 day
$99.00+Tax+Service charge for VIP 2 days

For VIP tickets that include Indoor Lounge, access to Beer Tent, separtate port-a-potties[/b] and VIP after parties (yet to be determined).

And held at The Docks no less...

I'm all for hip hop being showcased and people getting paid. But this just seems awful in my book.

Side note:

With no "true" Summer Jam in effect.. The sky is falling?

http://www.eckounltd.com/promos/gettingupcanada/

Comments

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i want a Busta Rhymes / Kardinal Offishal collab...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    i want a Busta Rhymes / Kardinal Offishal collab...

Now that would be hot...

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    How is different than Hot 97's yearly concert or Rock the Bells in LA? Just sayin... Its not surprising. IF there is money to be made people will do what they can to get it.

• Options
    Bring back Toronto vs. New York at the COncert Hall.

K.

• DOR, just performed at a HOP HOP festival called splash. 50,000 + attendees. peace, stein. . .

K.

Hell yeah...

I'd even settle for the Varsity Arena concert days.

How is different than Hot 97's yearly concert or Rock the Bells in LA? Just sayin... Its not surprising. IF there is money to be made people will do what they can to get it.

I guess I just have a problem with the term "Festival"

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

I guess I just have a problem with the term "Festival"

ok that I can understand.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

I'd even settle for the Varsity Arena concert days.

rap fest

OOF

• Options
    Bi**y,

You ever go to Fresh Fest in Buffalo back in the 80's?

K.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

K.

I guess Ron (Nelson) would do 'em if he was still spinnin' hip-hop as opposed to reggae/dancehall...

Boogie Down Productions versus Rumble & Strong
    MC Lyte versus Michie Mee

• Options
    I'd take Junior Delahaye versus Noel Ellis, too.

K.

Bi**y,

You ever go to Fresh Fest in Buffalo back in the 80's?

K.

No... My moms wouldn't let me goto concerts when I was that young. I remember reading about it and thinking damn I wanna see RUN DMC (Which I didn't see until that wicked tour with Public Enemy and EPMD at Varsity Arena in 87 I think?)

K.

I guess Ron (Nelson) would do 'em if he was still spinnin' hip-hop as opposed to reggae/dancehall...

Boogie Down Productions versus Rumble & Strong

MC Lyte versus Michie Mee

Shit... I was going to talk about the whole rumble n strong deal.

Nice to know someone remembers these. Cause I forget unless someone kicks my memory.

I remember there was a few DJ battles. One was Peter (Now a house DJ from Peter & Tyrone).

And the Beat box battle was dope as I remember...

• Options

It was won by 2 guys that went to my high school (Danny MAcdonald and Devon Wilmont (who used to run with the Markaham and Eglinton Rebels back in the day). I'm in the process of securing the whole video footage from my friend at City TV.

K.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

I went to grade school w/ Dave (Rumble) and also knew Jason (Strong) when he was partners w/ Dave; have @ least 2 cassettes of unreleased material includin' their dis of Ivan Berry: 'Jose' - performed to BDP's 'Jimmy'...

And somewhere in my crates, Dave's UK 12" on the Gee Street label (which was later absorbed into V2)...

It was won by 2 guys that went to my high school (Danny MAcdonald and Devon Wilmont (who used to run with the Markaham and Eglinton Rebels back in the day). I'm in the process of securing the whole video footage from my friend at City TV.

K.

Shit.. That would be hot.

I was just thinking about the media CityTV must have of this stuff. Someone needs to get their hands on it. I would pay for some of that history.

I went to grade school w/ Dave (Rumble) and also knew Jason (Strong) when he was partners w/ Dave; have @ least 2 cassettes of unreleased material includin' their dis of Ivan Berry: 'Jose' - performed to BDP's 'Jimmy'...

And somewhere in my crates, Dave's UK 12" on the Gee Street label (which was later absorbed into V2)...

Shit, I would love to hear that tape or get a copy. I remember they preformed on Hmm.. Can't remember if it was Electric Circus or Soul in the City a wicked track I never was able to find anywhere. I loved their fuse of hip hop n' reggae.

Speaking of Beat boxing above. I have a wicked beat box mix that Ron played around 86-87. Which has this dope cut up of PB - Crying over you and also a dope drop of La di da di.

I need to transfer that shit over. I, at one time had every Sat. radio show of Ron's from 87-92 which some gurl stole right from my house.

No one really gives Ron props for his contribution to hip hop in this city.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

If I'm able to locate the tapes, I'll see if there's time to do a digital transfer; I remember speakin' to Ron and goin' down to the Ryerson basement durin' those shows - there was a stretch of time around '87 or so when he went down to Buffalo every Friday to pick up records @ this 1 store (the name of which I can't remember @ all)... Ron also had a home studio @ his parents' place in Scarborough in the mid-'80s; a lot of people passin' through tryin' to get their sonic grind on @ the time...

Before leavin' for DC and college, I did a road trip one summer, went to Philadelphia and NY and brought back the UBB series on wax for Carnival Records - Jason had been hip to 'em b/c Scott and KRS had been usin' those breaks for their own BDP records as well as the 2 joints they produced for Rumble & Strong on that Beat Factory vinyl EP (Michie Mee also had 2 tracks produced by BDP on that record) from the mid-'80s; the last person I've seen w/ a copy of that EP other than myself is Howard (aka Swiff of the Grassroots)... Anyway, went to Sounds of Market (Street) and stocked up on the UBB series whilst talkin' to DJ Tat $ (Steady B's DJ @ the time of his 1st Jive album), who was workin' @ the store...

If I'm able to locate the tapes, I'll see if there's time to do a digital transfer; I remember speakin' to Ron and goin' down to the Ryerson basement durin' those shows - there was a stretch of time around '87 or so when he went down to Buffalo every Friday to pick up records @ this 1 store (the name of which I can't remember @ all)... Ron also had a home studio @ his parents' place in Scarborough in the mid-'80s; a lot of people passin' through tryin' to get their sonic grind on @ the time...

Before leavin' for DC and college, I did a road trip one summer, went to Philadelphia and NY and brought back the UBB series on wax for Carnival Records - Jason had been hip to 'em b/c Scott and KRS had been usin' those breaks for their own BDP records as well as the 2 joints they produced for Rumble & Strong on that Beat Factory vinyl EP (Michie Mee also had 2 tracks produced by BDP on that record) from the mid-'80s; the last person I've seen w/ a copy of that EP other than myself is Howard (aka Swiff of the Grassroots)... Anyway, went to Sounds of Market (Street) and stocked up on the UBB series whilst talkin' to DJ Tat $ (Steady B's DJ @ the time of his 1st Jive album), who was workin' @ the store...

Wicked... Love to read shit like this. I would be crazy grateful for a copy of that Rumble stuff. I think the one track I'm thinking of had "Mercy, Mercy Mercy" in the chorus.

Man, the old Carnival dayz...

What was the names of those 2 Michie Mee tracks? Remember off hand? Not O.T.M. or V.I.C. right? I always wondered why Michie wasn't asked to join BDP. She would have killed it. I know KRS had tons of respect for her back in the day.

Hey PEK or anyone else for that matter...

Ron Nelson aKa Ronnie O... Track called Breakdown on a Canadian boot from around 80-81 with Rappers Delight on the 1st side.

Anyone know wuts up with this? Was it real? First Canadian hip hop 12" ?

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

What was the names of those 2 Michie Mee tracks? Remember off hand? Not O.T.M. or V.I.C. right? I always wondered why Michie wasn't asked to join BDP. She would have killed it. I know KRS had tons of respect for her back in the day.

Can't recall off the top of the dome - my copy's sittin' in storage somewhere; there were about 500 to 1000 copies pressed of that vinyl, has a color jacket w/ a really lackluster graffiti-like illustration... Scott was fond of her as well - can't disclose more than that though...

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Ron Nelson aKa Ronnie O... Track called Breakdown on a Canadian boot from around 80-81 with Rappers Delight on the 1st side.

Not sure - the track I was tryin' to hunt down back in the day was Sunshine Sound Crew's signature joint w/ the chorus 'we've come to take control' - which JC killed on the regular w/ Brother D(ifferent) bein' the hype man durin' that track... Never did get a name/title - on some Bambaataa soak-label-off-in-the-bathtub secrecy ish...

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts
    any one have any DJ Power tapes from the late 80s?
    lost mine and gutted.

is he still on the air?

lost mine and gutted.

is he still on the air?

I just saw Power last week. He said he was working on getting a new show up.
    Not sure what or where it was.

Late 80's tapes? No I don't... He was on the air back then? I thought he was on during the 90's. What were the years for X & Mastermind? I guess I could call up either and find out tho.

Not sure - the track I was tryin' to hunt down back in the day was Sunshine Sound Crew's signature joint w/ the chorus 'we've come to take control' - which JC killed on the regular w/ Brother D(ifferent) bein' the hype man durin' that track... Never did get a name/title - on some Bambaataa soak-label-off-in-the-bathtub secrecy ish...

Hmm.. I dunno if I ever heard that track.

Miss the old sound system clash dayz.

lost mine and gutted.

is he still on the air?

I just saw Power last week. He said he was working on getting a new show up.
    Not sure what or where it was.

Late 80's tapes? No I don't... He was on the air back then? I thought he was on during the 90's. What were the years for X & Mastermind? I guess I could call up either and find out tho.

these might have been before his radio show. they were a couple of mix tapes he did. one was called the power hour that i listened to all the time. don't know him but i lived down the street from his family and my brother was a friend of his brother and his sister was in my class in grade 7.

if you could ask him about that tape i'd owe you back big. the power hour tape was one of my favourites, it had wrath of kane and crazy double action of talking all that jazz.

and is it true that drinkin old gold Mr. X and Z are from toronto?

and speaking of power hour, can i get a michael williams appreciation?
    anyone who can go from doing soul in the city, throw on a leather jacket, jump from behind a couch and host a metal show gets my respect.

and speaking of power hour, can i get a michael williams appreciation?
    anyone who can go from doing soul in the city, throw on a leather jacket, jump from behind a couch and host a metal show gets my respect.

I've always had an appreciation for MW. Cept on Rapcity.

Huge on Soul in the City tho....

Those fishbone t-shirts... Classic...