Violence in your city

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited March 4 in Strut Central

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    damn man....thats ugly. not sure how yall managed to eat your food!
    i think violence can take place anywhere at anytime...but of course in some areas it just happens a hell of a lot more....usually in poor areas, unfortunately. i live across from a beautiful rec center that has courts, a pool, an indoor facility and a couple diamonds. several people get shot there every year. the ugly truth is its always young black men killing young black men. i dont feel unsafe there since i'm not caught up in what these kids are getting shot over, but its still tragic. i saw someone get stomped outside a chinese food place a couple weeks ago and you never know when a bullet might fly, so i guess i should be more petro. but like you said...desensitized...it almost seems normal

a lot of party people are fucked up in philly right now cause a 21 year old young lady who used to go out a lot just got murdered at her doorstep, undressed and beaten to death in the empty lot next door. what the fuck can you say to that?? who knows if it was random or someone she knew, but its a horror story. i hate that my mental reactions to all these things are "these things have always happened" and that i dont get more distraught. i mean it pales in comparison to hutus tutsi machete madness, but its still the ugly side of humanity

hope you and your friends are cool after seeing that shit.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    last year - 0 homicides

this year, 1 so far .....

i have lived in dc, st louis & detroit when they broke murder records
    not good times

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Memphis can get pretty rough, city pop is 670,000...metro area about a million
    Year Murder Forcible Rape Aggravated Assault
    2001 158 480 5,886
    2002 151 517 5,538
    2003 126 438 5,436
    2004 105 444 5,813
    2005 137 400 7,628
    2006 147 425 7661
    2007 128 452 7605
    2008 138 366 7646

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    maaan, i feel like further south you get, the violence magnifies. maybe its just relative to poverty? wait till folks chime in from new orleans. or magnetic from jamaica.

i dont know what it is about violence...so horrible but its like hard wired in our genetics. when i was working in high schools you could feel when there was a fight happening in the school...it was like electricity in the air. real weird. fist fights of course are not the same thing as murder rape assault, especially when its a fair one, but theres something sick but intriguing about human voyeurism.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    A crew of four 13-14 year olds was just arrested for a home invasion in which an older man in the house was knocked unconscious with the butt of a shotgun and a 15 year old girl (also in the house) was sexually assaulted. Makes me thankful that I wasn't home when my house was broken into and ransacked a little over a month ago...

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I seem to have an uncanny knack for just missing violence.

Although I do recall seeing this guy get knocked out by a street punk who had a padlock at the end of a chain. He took one smack to the head and went down. I ended up randomly making friends with him about two years later. It took months before I figured out it was the same guy.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Few days ago there was a double murder in the parking lot of the Pink Monkey right down the road from my place. Apparently, it started as an argument over a stupid cell phone.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Memphis can get pretty rough, city pop is 670,000...metro area about a million
    Year Murder Forcible Rape Aggravated Assault
    2001 158 480 5,886
    2002 151 517 5,538
    2003 126 438 5,436
    2004 105 444 5,813
    2005 137 400 7,628
    2006 147 425 7661
    2007 128 452 7605
    2008 138 366 7646

I can't imagine what it would be like to be a Cop in a place like this.

3 murders a week and 20 rapes/assaults each and every day.

Disgusting.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    last year was up in college park, md for my brother's graduation. we were driving to a korean bbq spot for a lil celebration and on the way we stopped at a red light. some dude in the passenger seat started whaling on the girl driving, then dragged her out and started stompin on her. stole the keys out of the ignition and ran off. poor girl got up and just peed herself. called 911 real quick, but everybody else who was stopped just drove off.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Usually once or twice a year there's some shooting in my immediate area, eg the square block that I live on. Obviously, there is a fair amount of violence around Harlem but from East to West, Top to Bottom we're talking the size of a small city. People make it out to be more than it is, particularly because if you're not in the drug game or shooting dice late or hanging out on certain corners/blocks, that shit is very distant.

However, this shit happened the other day, as my wife was on her morning jog through this very park, we were shook no lie. Because of the randomness. And when I left the crib later they still hadn't caught the motherfucker. All types of blood on the street and in the station:

Police Search Park After Harlem Triple Stabbing

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    No, no violence in Los Angeles.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I used to live across the street from two notoriously gully spots in Richmond, VA, "The Palace Nightclub", and an after hours spot called "Chuckie's Place." Broad Street was the main drag for everyone in the city with rims and a system to ride, hang, and bang. The two clubs were really the epicenter. I saw at least a dozen situations that included firearms outside, but 1 in particular sticks in my memory.

My girlfriend at the time woke me and summoned me to the window to see one guy with a pistol in the neck of another pinned to the wall outside. People were screaming and i specifically remember people telling the guy, "do it! shoot him."
    Something was said to defuse the situation, and the guy that was pinned took off. We closed the blinds and headed back to bed and then POP POP POP POP. I ran back to the window to see the dude originally with the gun layed out on the sidewalk with blood EVERYWERE. They shot him 8 times. I never talked to the police because of my proximity to the clubs and i still feel guilty every time i think about it.

Another incident took place a few blocks away in Jackson Ward. Some friends were drinking and listening to a boom box on their porch when this kid walks up brandishing a Mack10 and squeamishly demands everyone's money. Before anyone could say or do anything, the kid closes his eyes and sprays the porch. Luckily he was totally green and nervous, cause he missed almost everyone. Out of 10 people, only one got hit, and the NYC subway token in his wallet actually stopped the bullet. (I KID YOU NOT! he wore the concaved token on a chain around his neck afterwards) The cops were right around the corner and came skreatching after the kid who ran down the block. They shot and killed the kid a couple blocks away.

Possum Tom = Delay?

These name changes always confuse me.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I've been in NYC since '87 and seen a lot of nasty shit. I've seen a number of dead bodies, most of them when I was a bike messenger - pedestrians and other messengers.

Weird things stick out... I remember coming across a messenger under a sheet on Madison avenue, his feet were visible and I noticed that his sneakers were brand new, probably the first day he ever wore them.

NYC is entirely different than it was back then though. Years ago when I lived on the corner of 9th and D I spent 20 minutes flat on my floor while a crazy machine gun fight moved through my neighborhood, bullets flying everywhere. Not a word about it in the papers the next day.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    hi herm!

Possum Tom said:
    hi herm!

Damn, I'm good. Awesome possum!

• I was once put under arrest for the shooting of a ttc busdriver. sad to say, he was blinded. i was scared because i didnt even know anyone had been shot or why i was being arrested i was just in the vicinity so they said they had to do it. the kid who did it was sentenced and went to jail.

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
    As much as I cant (under) stand it... is it wrong that im de-sensitized ?

Last wkend I came home to news that my pops homie ( a deacon ) ...his 14 yr old son was shot dead, close range in his heart by a 16 yr old and 20 yr old.....mistaken identity. wtf. police witnessed it. 2 blocks from my house.

this wkend a 10 yr old girl was shot.

my hood gets really hot with all of this. much of it never makes the news. its nothing new... been happening since high school and its not getting better.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Horseleech said:

NYC is entirely different than it was back then though. Years ago when I lived on the corner of 9th and D I spent 20 minutes flat on my floor while a crazy machine gun fight moved through my neighborhood, bullets flying everywhere. Not a word about it in the papers the next day.

Yeah man I was living around 8th & C around 1993 and shit was WILD around there at that time. Still is to a degree though no matter how many coffee shops open up. And unfortunately I have seen people get shot, get stabbed, beaten to a bloody pulp, saw a dude get thrown out a window to his death, seen mad bodies, few years ago I found a body in an alley of a young woman who had been murdered and (probably) sexually assaulted. Growing up in Philly it was always fucked up but the violence the past several years has been off the charts. Motherfuckers know the deal.

The violence in BK is crazy too. So much shit you never hear about, but through my wife I hear some crazy shit that goes down, especially in Flatbush, East New York, Brownsville.

Here's some shit that happened last year, that was terrible...

Last year there was a big block party on my old block of St. John's off of Washington. Literally thousands of people on the block, mostly kids and shit. Was chilling downstairs on the stoop with my neighbors, and ran up to go to the bathroom when I heard *POP POP POP POP POP POP* and you know, you hear that shit all the time so you do get desensitized to it. But I came down immediately and everyone was fucked up. The 2 kids that were just sitting in the car right in front of my crib, well... some dudes rolled up on dirtbikes and just blasted them. They were dead and it was lucky that no shots hit my neighbors. Little Kayla was like 10 or 11 at the time, and she was so fucked up about it shaking and in shock to have just witnessed to men get shot to death in front of her. So bad to be a kid and see that shit. Her moms was all messed up. They couldn't find the older brother (who was like 13 at the time) and freaking out. Stupid fucking dudes shot these kids dead cause they had some beef over talking to a girl, on some "disrespect" shit. 19 and 20, dead.

There's a whole generation of kids out here that can't grasp that "dead" is DEAD, as well as not truly knowing the value of human life. Also a whole generation of kids that have not learned to deal with conflict other than resorting to violence. Unfortunately it's mostly young black males. And the system has helped perpetuate it but not doing anything to address the root causes. Young black men and expendable. Motherfuckers don't give a fuck. Truly fucked up on so many levels I can't even begin to express my rage about it.

Crazy INSTANT KARMA thing is that the kid who did the shooting sped away on his dirtbike, blowing through red lights at intersections for blocks and blocks trying to make his getaway, until he breezed through one intersection and was hit by a car. Shooter was killed on the spot. Shit is fucked up son.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Big Chan, you already know I play ALL the clubs in that area. I seen it all son, for a number of years. I seen some shit go down last week. Everyone was screaming and running and you know I was standing there all calm Eric B style waiting for whatever to happen, happen and get over with.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    There's a lot of violence in Hempstead. I always hear about someone getting shot or robbed in the Stead.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I hate when kids are around whenshit goes down.

I saw an employee of a community center get shot in the head over a basketball game. I was teacer at an afterschool program, we were between classes and a whole bunch of nine year olds saw the whole thing. Its heatbreaking seeing their sad faces but glad they were ok.

Crazy cool thing is old boy lived. Bullet got lodged in his thick, Tongan skull.

Cosmo said:
    Horseleech said:

Yeah man I was living around 8th & C around 1993 and shit was WILD around there at that time. Still is to a degree though no matter how many coffee shops open up. And unfortunately I have seen people get shot, get stabbed, beaten to a bloody pulp, saw a dude get thrown out a window to his death, seen mad bodies, few years ago I found a body in an alley of a young woman who had been murdered and (probably) sexually assaulted. Growing up in Philly it was always fucked up but the violence the past several years has been off the charts. Motherfuckers know the deal.

The violence in BK is crazy too. So much shit you never hear about, but through my wife I hear some crazy shit that goes down, especially in Flatbush, East New York, Brownsville.

Here's some shit that happened last year, that was terrible...

Last year there was a big block party on my old block of St. John's off of Washington. Literally thousands of people on the block, mostly kids and shit. Was chilling downstairs on the stoop with my neighbors, and ran up to go to the bathroom when I heard *POP POP POP POP POP POP* and you know, you hear that shit all the time so you do get desensitized to it. But I came down immediately and everyone was fucked up. The 2 kids that were just sitting in the car right in front of my crib, well... some dudes rolled up on dirtbikes and just blasted them. They were dead and it was lucky that no shots hit my neighbors. Little Kayla was like 10 or 11 at the time, and she was so fucked up about it shaking and in shock to have just witnessed to men get shot to death in front of her. So bad to be a kid and see that shit. Her moms was all messed up. They couldn't find the older brother (who was like 13 at the time) and freaking out. Stupid fucking dudes shot these kids dead cause they had some beef over talking to a girl, on some "disrespect" shit. 19 and 20, dead.

There's a whole generation of kids out here that can't grasp that "dead" is DEAD, as well as not truly knowing the value of human life. Also a whole generation of kids that have not learned to deal with conflict other than resorting to violence. Unfortunately it's mostly young black males. And the system has helped perpetuate it but not doing anything to address the root causes. Young black men and expendable. Motherfuckers don't give a fuck. Truly fucked up on so many levels I can't even begin to express my rage about it.

Crazy INSTANT KARMA thing is that the kid who did the shooting sped away on his dirtbike, blowing through red lights at intersections for blocks and blocks trying to make his getaway, until he breezed through one intersection and was hit by a car. Shooter was killed on the spot. Shit is fucked up son.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Big_Chan said:
    Damn. Here is video of the shooting last night. You don't see the shooting, but you hear the gunshots and see people running.

not sure how you didn't hear that CANNON. goddamn!!!!! I wonder why someone was filming from the roof right then? were the dudes below involved?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    There's an unfortunately high amount of violence in Oakland; there's a shitload of violence in East Oakland. Not much violence in my neighborhood, though four years ago, there was a shooting across the street from my place on Thanksgiving. The gunman just walked into an apartment and lit everybody up. One dude broke his back jumping out of a third-story window trying to escape. I heard the shots and everything, it was surreal.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Usually once or twice a year there's some shooting in my immediate area, eg the square block that I live on. Obviously, there is a fair amount of violence around Harlem but from East to West, Top to Bottom we're talking the size of a small city. People make it out to be more than it is, particularly because if you're not in the drug game or shooting dice late or hanging out on certain corners/blocks, that shit is very distant.

However, this shit happened the other day, as my wife was on her morning jog through this very park, we were shook no lie. Because of the randomness. And when I left the crib later they still hadn't caught the motherfucker. All types of blood on the street and in the station:

Police Search Park After Harlem Triple Stabbing

this incident was brought to my attention by you actually. and then by another friend who actually was in that station an hour prior.

just the other day a woman with her 2 kids in tow stabbed another woman in her arm on the train for accidentally bumping one of her children. no deaths as a result but still...

chill the fusk out!

• i think someone else sufficiently clarified killadelphia's postolmania status.

recently a friend of mine was brutally beaten, raped and murdered. while this sort of thing could happen anywhere i guess, there were a couple pieces of information that came to light about the investigation that indicated the sheer apathy of the police force here, due mostly in part to the fact that they were responding to a burglary call, but had they investigated the scene and not just sped off in the purported direction of the perpetrator, this probably would have been a case closed.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    About a month ago a murder suspect got surrounded by the cops at his mother's house. This was a block from my house. He came out waiving a gun and walking towards the cops. They yelled for him to drop the gun but he kept coming so they shot him. He lived, turns out it was a bb gun. The whole thing was filmed and it looks like he wanted the cops to kill him. My wife and I had driven by minutes before and I had been walking my dog there about a half hour earlier. I was more worried about catching a stray from the cops who shot at dude 12 times and only hit him twice.

Richmond had been doing better on the murder stats, but shit gets ugly in the summer when everything moves outside. Too many dumb kids with guns. Rarely is the shit random though and I don't feel unsafe. That said I wouldn't go for a stroll late at night either.

Having lived in philly for 5 years I saw some ugly shit, from what I have heard the last few years make that shit seem like Christmas.

Stay safe people.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Crime is down in Toronto, but fear-mongering and sensationalist reporting is not.

About a month back, a 15 year old kid got shot opening the door to an apartment over a girl, but every news report mentioned gang affiliation. Right away, his death is not a senseless tragedy, but the passing of someone barely human, characterized by the colour blue. The apartment was upstairs from a record store I check now and then, on a neighbourhood strip I shop and eat on.

A lot of the violence in the city is concentrated within minutes from my house, the majority of the victims are young men. Things got a lot better last summer when community policing was initiated. Then they ended it in the autumn; took the extra cops away, put the rest back in their cars and recently things started up again. Two of my favourite clubs shut down due to flare-ups. The owner of one bar did searches with handheld metal detectors, even checking your shoes, and had two cops at the front door. Still two people got shot, one who didn???t make it.
    There are two major turf wars going on, one to my South East, another to the North. That???s the major cause of shit, but domestic violence and random angry shootings and stabbings are sprinkled in there.

There are a lot of community-based social services, education and health programs trying to deal with what???s happening, but small, under-funded organizations can???t get on top of the situation, more like they are constantly trying to catch up to it.
    Like other areas with similar problems, this is a demonized neighbourhood that becomes increasingly so the more shit-ass reporting makes it a satellite populated by uncontrollable brutes. A place not be visited or acknowledged as part of the city, with real people and families living and working and going to school here???the majority of whom have nothing to do with gun justice and power struggles.
    It???s a monster eating its own tail.

The ridiculous amount of handguns circulating and the ease with which one can obtain a weapon is another part of it.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Here in B-More we're up to like 82 homicides so far this year. 9 of them happened over the, 3 day, memorial week end. Shit is getting crazier every year. And we're still down by like 5 homicides as opposed to last year. We average a homicide every 36-48 hours. NOW THAT"S CRAZY!!

Check this out.