Stones 60s boot white label... value check?

upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
not sure bout this one, some kinda Rolling Stones white label bootleg, Im not a Stones expert, no idea if this could maybe fetch some value..

the cover, plain white with a stamp:

and it has this insert:

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    typically from what I have noticed, Stones bootlegs actually from the era in which they were recorded are usually in the 30-50 dollar range, however the "stamp on a white sleeve" ones are usually from the late 60s/ early 70s...and by the looks of that tracklist, it looks likes a mid sixties concert...but my guess it is probably still in the 50 dollar range as an earlier one probably didnt exsist...

edit: I just noticed that it isnt a concert...so it might be worth a bit more as it might be demos/alternate takes kind of thing

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    yeah, that actually looks like a cool boot, from my favorite era Stones.

curious to know what the tracks are on there, ie alternate takes or what?

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    typically from what I have noticed, Stones bootlegs actually from the era in which they were recorded are usually in the 30-50 dollar range, however the "stamp on a white sleeve" ones are usually from the late 60s/ early 70s...and by the looks of that tracklist, it looks likes a mid sixties concert...but my guess it is probably still in the 50 dollar range as an earlier one probably didnt exsist...

edit: I just noticed that it isnt a concert...so it might be worth a bit more as it might be demos/alternate takes kind of thing

yeah, thanks.. its definitely a 60's press, studio tracks with a couple of live tracks thrown in, not sure why its called dark horses, only related stones title is wild horses which is from a later date than this record, but as i said, im not that much into stones, so i might be missing something here... ?

SoulOnIce said:
    yeah, that actually looks like a cool boot, from my favorite era Stones.

curious to know what the tracks are on there, ie alternate takes or what?

as i dont know the orig tracks i wouldnt be able to say if there are alternate versions or takes on here, i can say though, that the sound quality is not all that good..

(from the insert pic) can anyone tell me from which stones albums these tracks were originally released...?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    Most of these songs are either non-album b-sides (Sad Day, for instance) or are from the numerous early 70s comps of Decca/London-era material - Stone Age, Metamorphosis, Milestones, etc - that were released as cash-ins after they'd got their own imprint with Atlantic. It's possible there may be some alternate versions amongst them but it's more than likely an attempt at a pirate version of those Decca/London comps.

One More Try is from Out Of Our Heads
    Blue Turns to Grey and Look What You Done are from December's Children
    Time Is On My Side might be the stereo version from Milestones, although the following track, Congratulations, is its b-side, so it could just be A/B from the o.g. 45.
    Everybody Needs Somebody To Love is from Got Live If You Want It
    Fortune Teller and I've Been Loving You Too Long are probably from the Gimme Shelter comp (which has nothing to do with the film)
    Sad Day is the US b-side of 19th Nervous Breakdown, and was the b-side of an early 70s UK 45 of You Can't Always Get What You Want
    Surprise, Surprise is the b-side of Street Fighting Man
    My Girl and Ride On Baby are both from Flowers

this is very helpful, thanks a lot for the info!!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    One bootleg label seems to get more collector respect than others.
    TMQ, or Trade Mark or Quality.

If it is on TMQ you may get more money or have an easier time selling it.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

It's not a TMOQ, and the TMOQs that go for $$$ are the colored vinyl ones.

I doubt this is worth more than $15 - $20.

there is no indication of a record label, it does look somewhat homemade or privately pressed, with the stamp on a plain white old style flipback cover, pressed on heavy wax and the deep groove label being white with no writing or stamp on it.. again thanks a lot for any info!

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    i want the trident sessions stones boot. i passed it up about 5 years ago at bleecker bobs cause i hated that place and didnt want to give them a dime. that was really gay moves because i havent found it since.
    stones bootlegs sometimes have reggae tracks on them, those i have anyway. from when keith was exploring his inner keithstafarian.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    LaserWolf said:

It's not a TMOQ, and the TMOQs that go for $$$ are the colored vinyl ones.

I doubt this is worth more than $15 - $20.

this seems about right to me... i seen these tracks on other boots... nothing too fancy... i think my fav stones bootlegs are the '69 tour ones... Liver than You'll Ever Be and it's endless variations...