New Common LP "Be" DL now folls!

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Just downloaded the new Common LP "Be" I'm only a few songs into it and so far it is pretty dope! Get online and get your Download on folls! Kanye & Jay Dee got that heat, I'm sure the rest of the LP will be that hit.... Oh snap, there is even cuttin' & scratchin'. Word.

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    COT DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!! This track on here "Real People" that Kanye produced is BANANAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH SHIT! Track titled "They say" w/ John Legend, Kanye chopped up Ahmad Jamal's
    "Ghetto Child" from the Jamalca LP. Kanye is a fool. This joint is......

FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    there was a big THREAD about this, where it was generally trashed, but I haven't heard it yet...do you find it "soft?"

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    "Ghetto Child" from the Jamalca LP.

Thanks, Chan... I was trying to recall where that sample came from. I knew it was something familiar, just couldn't place it.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    When Common came on stage at the Madvillian release show he was wearing tight pants a black panther jacket, I almost thought it was Mos Def. Was that soft? My homeboy in Denver saw common, first time I ever heard of him, hadn't blown up yet. '92 maybe. He came out on stage and started asking people if they were hard. If they thought they were hard? He said they weren't hard, but that was cool. They don't need to be hard. All the negativity around violence, all that, to some effect.

I thought that was cool, same summer that DJ Quick caught a beatdown by a bunch of Denver crips. I guess fivepoints was reprezentin' for their hood. Quick threw a 40 into the crowd of his show cause everybody was throwin' up C's. Caught a lawsuit.

there was a big THREAD about this, where it was generally trashed, but I haven't heard it yet...do you find it "soft?"

Sorry, I did not see the other thread. What exactly do you mean by "soft?" The lyrical content or the production? I really like the two Kanye produced tracks that I mentioned above. Real throwback style production, no handclaps and bongos! The samples he used are cool and I'm a BIG Ahmad Jamal fan so I'm feelin' the joint with the Ghetto Child sample. I'm still listening to the rest of the LP. Sure the lyrics are not "Hardcore" and the production is not "Knockin" but it is kind of refreshing to hear an LP like this. I listened to it in the car on the way to work this morning and it was a nice change from all the current rap records that I have heard lately. Maybe I'm feelin' "Soft" rap? What do I know anyway? I'm a 36 year old white dude from Seattle.

Thanks, Chan... I was trying to recall where that sample came from. I knew it was something familiar, just couldn't place it.

Damn!? I recognized a sample right away and Phill the Soulman "just couldn't place it?" I must be turning into a real record nerd. I remember back when I used to call you up and have you identify samples and records for me. Next thing you know, I'll be on the internet while I'm at work on a record website discussing
    music with other record nerds.

Damn!? I recognized a sample right away and Phill the Soulman "just couldn't place it?"

Yeah... I just don't give a shit about any of that shit anymore! I used to listen to my Ahmad Jamal (and similar) records all the time. Now all I listen to is lite rock from the 70's and a lot of Slim Thug and Chamillionare. The internet got me goin' nuts!

Damn!? I recognized a sample right away and Phill the Soulman "just couldn't place it?"

Yeah... I just don't give a shit about any of that shit anymore! I used to listen to my Ahmad Jamal (and similar) records all the time. Now all I listen to is lite rock from the 70's and a lot of Slim Thug and Chamillionare. The internet got me goin' nuts!

"Word Phil, I'm glad you ridin' for the South Big Hommie!" You need to get some ice in yo grill and roll around philly in a lac sittin' on 84' vogues. HOLLA!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Sorry, I did not see the other thread. What exactly do you mean by "soft?" The lyrical content or the production? I really like the two Kanye produced tracks that I mentioned above. Real throwback style production, no handclaps and bongos! The samples he used are cool and I'm a BIG Ahmad Jamal fan so I'm feelin' the joint with the Ghetto Child sample. I'm still listening to the rest of the LP. Sure the lyrics are not "Hardcore" and the production is not "Knockin" but it is kind of refreshing to hear an LP like this. I listened to it in the car on the way to work this morning and it was a nice change from all the current rap records that I have heard lately. Maybe I'm feelin' "Soft" rap? What do I know anyway? I'm a 36 year old white dude from Seattle.

..oh, hey, I don't really know what was meant by "soft," either, I had just read the thread where people were cappin' on it, so I wanted to know as someone who was feelin' it, if you thought it was "soft" too, but good anyways...I'll just have to check it myself...and form my own opinion...yikes!

---- 35-year-old white dude from Boston

• yeah I even read some idiot in the other thread claimed One Day It Will All Makes Sense was Commons best album. What a "lil dude".

• ...same summer that DJ Qui[color:blue]c[/color]k caught a beatdown by a bunch of Denver crips. I guess fivepoints was reprezentin' for their hood. Qui[color:blue]c[/color]k threw a 40 into the crowd of his show cause everybody was throwin' up C's.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Just downloaded the new Common LP "Be" I'm only a few songs into it and so far it is pretty dope! Get online and get your Download on folls! Kanye & Jay Dee got that heat, I'm sure the rest of the LP will be that hit.... Oh snap, there is even cuttin' & scratchin'. Word.

*buy*. Get your *buy* on.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    ...same summer that DJ Qui[color:blue]c[/color]k caught a beatdown by a bunch of Denver crips. I guess fivepoints was reprezentin' for their hood. Qui[color:blue]c[/color]k threw a 40 into the crowd of his show cause everybody was throwin' up C's.

Oh yeah, duh. "DJ QUIK"

• I bought "The Corner" 12" and I like it.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I thought "Food" was cool, but "Corners" was awfully dissappointing after hearing folks big-up it on here... that beat is just lame IMO

Haven't heard anything else yet...

I thought "Food" was cool, but "Corners" was awfully dissappointing after hearing folks big-up it on here... that beat is just lame IMO

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Heh... well I am all about That Facemelt Shit...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    So, I listened to the album driving over from SF to the East Bay (god bless 11 track albums) and came with these conclusions:

1) The album opens well with "Be" then "The Corner" but then plummets on four songs that I find more or less unlistenable - not because they're gratingly wack, but there's just nothing there to hold interest. "Go" is like the drunk girl at the club who thinks she's hot...but isn't. "Faithful" is back to Common's head-wrap rap days - it seriously sounds like it could have been left off of "Like Water For Chocolate." "Testify" is just a plainly terrible narrative song. I don't know why Common keeps insisting on recording these - he's not Slick Rick or Nas. I think, at his best, he can be evocative in his lyricism but that doens't equate to being able to tell a story effectively. This sounded like a bad "Law and Order" episode. "Love Is" belongs in the same bin as "Faithful."

"Chi City" is marginally better but I really would have expected something a whole lot hotter than what Kanye cooked up.

The album closes well though not enough to rescue "Be" overall. I always liked "The Food" - I wish more of the album was like this. I really liked "Real People" and "They Say" - there's something about Common's free-flowing verses here (enjambment, holla!) that carry a conviction to them - like Common knows he's in the groove and he's letting you know that he knows. He does the same thing with "It's Your World" but seriously, just turn it off after his verses end and before Pops gets his turn. I mean, it's cool that Com big ups his dad on every album but if you were bored of the Last Poets on "The Corner," this will be like torture.

Overall, the album just never comes together which is a bad sign considering it's only 11 songs long. Nothing coheres right - the sequencing (at least in the version I've heard) is poor, more than a couple of songs sound like they could have benefited from closer refining - or just removal altogether. And most of all, I don't feel like Common is any hungrier on this album than he was on his last two. Mid-career, better rappers have come with some fucking ILL shit to just say, "hey, quit fucking sleeping on me just because I'm not the new kid on the block." Look at Jay-Z's "Vol 3" or KRS-One's "Return of the Boom Bap" or Nas "God's Son."

"Be" just sounds too...comfortable. You know? Oh snap, does that mean it's soft?

The tough part is that I still have to write a cover story on dude. And personally, I like Common as an artist, I like what he's about. I just wish he'd come back with something to fuck people's heads up.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I like what he's about.

Headwraps-n-incense?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I like what he's about.

Headwraps-n-incense?

Nag Champa, bitches.

• beirutbeirut 14 Posts
    it's a cool album, but not as great as certain people are making it out to be. ideally, kanye (w/ dilla on a couple) and com making an album sounds good, but they could've both done a much better job on it. some of kanye's drums on a few of the songs ("be", "food") are just bad. i know 'ye could've done better than that...

• rookrook 357 Posts
    dashikis, too. him and prefuse had a beef a while back. pfuse was accusing him of being a bitch for reppin cocacola while also preaching peace/love/money troubles. '

but prefuse is punk he sold his shit to footlocker..

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I agree with most of what O-Deeznibble had to say. I like this album though, theres enough goodness that I will be picking it up when it comes out, hopefully with tracks that aint on the leaked version.

I'm still waiting for Electric Circus to surface in the dollar bins though, no chance in hell I'm paying more than 2$ for.