Bud Selig Refuses to Reverse Blown Call

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
what a total creep selig is.

Commissioner: MLB Won't Reverse Blown Call
Bud Selig Congratulates Pitcher, Says League Will Look Into Expanding Use Of Instant Replays
NEW YORK (CBS) ???

Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig congratulated Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga Thursday for a "remarkable pitching performance," despite the call the cost him a perfect game, but did not reverse umpire Jim Joyce's decision, leaving the game in the record books as a one-hitter.

Selig praised Joyce for his professionalism in accepting the error after the game and also said that the league would consider the use of instant replays beyond home runs as a result of the incident. In his statement, he said:

"As Jim Joyce said in his postgame comments, there is no dispute that last night's game should have ended differently. While the human element has always been an integral part of baseball, it is vital that mistakes on the field be addressed. Given last night's call and other recent events, I will examine our umpiring system, the expanded use of instant replay and all other related features. Before I announce any decisions, I will consult with all appropriate parties, including our two unions and the Special Committee for On-Field Matters, which consists of field managers, general managers, club owners and presidents."

Selig had the power to reverse Joyce's missed call that came with two outs in the ninth inning Wednesday night in Detroit. Joyce ruled Cleveland's Jason Donald safe, then admitted he got it wrong.

Selig admired Joyce for his handling of the embarrassing situation, saying:

"The dignity and class of the entire Detroit Tigers organization under such circumstances were truly admirable and embodied good sportsmanship of the highest order. Armando and Detroit manager Jim Leyland are to be commended for their handling of a very difficult situation. I also applaud the courage of umpire Jim Joyce to address this unfortunate situation honestly and directly. Jim's candor illustrates why he has earned the respect of on-field personnel throughout his accomplished career in the Major Leagues since 1989."

Many thought Selig should reverse the call, including St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa.

Tigers manager Jim Leyland said MLB gave Joyce the option to not work Thursday's game between Detroit and Cleveland, but Joyce chose to stick with his job behind the plate. Leyland added that Galarraga would present the lineup card and shake hands with Joyce at home plate before the afternoon game.

In 1991, a panel headed by then-commissioner Fay Vincent took a look at the record book and decided to throw out 50 no-hitters for various reasons.

The instantly infamous play, which had social networking sites all abuzz, will add to the argument that baseball needs to expand its use of replays. As of now, they can be used only for questionable home runs.

Galarraga bitterly sipped a beer minutes after the blown call negated his place in baseball history. An apology and hug changed his attitude.

Joyce, in tears, asked for a chance to apologize after the Tigers beat the Indians 3-0.

"You don't see an umpire after the game come out and say, `Hey, let me tell you I'm sorry,"' Galarraga said "He felt really bad. He didn't even shower."

Galarraga, who was barely known outside of Detroit a day ago, and Joyce, whose career had flourished in relative anonymity, quickly became trending topics on Twitter. At least one anti-Joyce Facebook page was created shortly after the game ended and firejimjoyce.com was launched.

"I worked with Don Denkinger, and I know what he went through, but I've never had a moment like this," Joyce said.

Denkinger didn't have to deal with the wrath of fans on Twitter or Facebook. Denkinger helped tilt the 1985 World Series by blowing a call as a first base umpire, and that followed him throughout his career.

Joyce has been calling balls and strikes and deciding if runners are out or safe as a full-time major league umpire since 1989. He has been respected enough to be on the field for two World Series, 11 other playoff series and a pair of All-Star games.

The split-second decision he made will probably haunt him for the rest of his career.

Joyce emphatically signaled safe when Cleveland's Jason Donald clearly didn't beat a throw to first base for what would've been the last out in Armando Galarraga's perfect game for the Detroit Tigers, setting off a chorus of groans and boos that echoed in Comerica Park.

Chuck Klonke, the official scorer Wednesday night with nearly three decades of experience, said he would not change the disputed play to an error from a hit to give Galarraga a no-hitter.

"I looked at the replay right after it happened, and Miguel Cabrera made a good throw and Galarraga didn't miss the bag so you couldn't do anything but call it a hit," Klonke said Thursday morning. "I watched the replay from the center-field camera, which some people thought showed Galarraga might've bobbled the ball, and I didn't see it that way at all. I have 24 hours to change a call, but I wouldn't consider it.

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I can't think of a legit reason for Selig NOT to overturn this.

The ump admitted he blew it...and it didn't change the outcome of the game.

The only possible thing I can come up with is that it would be the third Perfect Game thrown in a month, with only 20 being thrown in the history of MLB.

Maybe Selig feels it would cheapen the legend of a Perfect Game, or worse, raise some eyebrows as to how lame post-Steroid hitting has become?

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    pitcher is brown.

• why didn;t selig give his reason(s) for not overturning this?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    pitcher is brown.

Yeah....this is probably the reason.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    this made me really sad

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    you stay classy, CNBC anchor...

(1:05...)

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    This has not been officially announced yet.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Reversing it would be soft. Shit happens.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    this shit isn't football or hockey. he MIGHT get a scorekeeper's overturn and the out becomes an error thus a no-hitter is awarded. though the clock is ticking and runs out in a few hours (24 hours from end of game).

the human element is what makes the game special.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    selperfuge said:
    this shit isn't football or hockey. he MIGHT get a scorekeeper's overturn and the out becomes an error thus a no-hitter is awarded. though the clock is ticking and runs out in a few hours (24 hours from end of game).

the human element is what makes the game special.

wait, is there a 24hr rule? that's the first i heard of this. its gotta be tough on the pitcher though...even if it gets overturned, on some "the moment was lost" type of deal.

Soccer/Football is full of this type of schitt as a result of no desire to instill video replay by FIFA. So each year there are about 3 or 4 types of these calls where huge stakes are lost as a result of a missed call (I see you Ireland). But perfect games are a fucking black swan, so this is pretty hard to swallow for sports fans.

do gotta say its refreshing to hear an official own up to this type of stuff though. in retrospect it was a bad call, but i've seen more obvious errors go through in sports, so i can only fault the ump a little.

• this whole old timey "human element" of baseball is what makes it so special argument is total crap. its ok to have instant replays and second guessing of umps for home run calls but not other aspects of the game?

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    the 24 hour thing is only for the scorer -- and he can't overturn the play and make it perfect. but can make the hit an error.

frankly the human element is what makes the game exciting. could you ever conceivably imagine this scenario before it happened? baseball reinvents itself all the time and dude is taking it well, hell he's a bigger hero for the time being than halladay and braden combined.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I wouldn't mind if it was overturned, but I'm not all up in arms about it like so many people.

I've seen too many blown calls in baseball and every sport that had a much bigger impact than just one player's stats - games lost, championships lost, careers ended - and nobody even talked about reversing it, it just "was."

besides, reversing it now will feel pretty hollow to dude. he already knows he threw a perfect game - the whole fun of it is getting bear-hugged by your catcher, pig-piled by your teammates, having that moment when the final out is called.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    whiny fans should get over it......The Ump fucked up, The Ump cried, The End.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    Reynaldo said:

agreed. also y'all are talkin about this only cuz of the blown call.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    edulus said:
    Reynaldo said:

agreed. also y'all are talkin about this only cuz of the blown call.

I'm not even a baseball fan but your comment makes no sense because this thread is ABOUT the blown call. That's like saying "you guys are only bragging about your weekend finds 'cause this is a weekend finds thread," isn't it?