Glenn Beck Pt 28384

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
Dude has finally lost it.

Comments

• FunkyFlatulentFunkyFlatulent 1,106 Posts
    What the fuck. I can't even comment on stupid stuff like this. No matter your affiliation this shows a lot about your character (or lack there of).

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I find it fascinating that some folks are obsessed with this dude.

And he's laughing all the way to the bank.

It's Howard Stern for politicos......

And as illustrated by a scene in the Howard Stern movie........

The number one reason people who love Howard Stern listen: to hear what he says next.

The number one reason people who hate Howard Stern listen: to hear what he says next.

But Howard has the decency to let you know it's an act. This guy as horrible as it sounds is influincing who will be the next president of the united states. People that use Religion or Politics to make a quick buck make me sick (and that's about all of them).

But Howard has the decency to let you know it's an act. This guy as horrible as it sounds is influincing who will be the next president of the united states. People that use Religion or Politics to make a quick buck make me sick (and that's about all of them).

Wait.....you listened to the above clip and think it isn't an act?

Really??

Like that was some serious political commentary......wow!

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

It's Howard Stern for politicos......

after thinking about that, your right.
    Glenn Beck is racist, Stern as much as I like him, he can be racist with his jokes.

Sad thing is that there is a whole generation like Stern listeners that believe this crap that comes out of Beck's mouth. People think he is a leader or scholar.
    I can't stand him, but my poker buddies who fall into a whole different age bracket them me love this guy. They say he speaks the truth, and what people don't want to hear.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts

Beck seems to think it is.

He's issued a statement.

"In discussing how President Obama uses children to shield himself from criticism, I broke my own rule about leaving kids out of political debates. The children of public figures should be left on the sidelines. It was a stupid mistake and I apologize--and as a dad I should have known better."

He's issued a statement.

"In discussing how President Obama uses children to shield himself from criticism, I broke my own rule about leaving kids out of political debates. The children of public figures should be left on the sidelines. It was a stupid mistake and I apologize--and as a dad I should have known better."

Nothing there indicates it's serious, just tasteless.....dude is a jackass plain and simple.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

He's issued a statement.

Nothing there indicates it's serious, just tasteless.....dude is a jackass plain and simple.

True, and if people didn't tune into him just to be outraged he would probably be off of the air.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Step 1:
    Fold the bill so that the "ON" of "ONE" is covered:

Step 2:
    Fold again like so, covering "HU" of "HUNDRED:"

Step 3:
    Another fold covering part of "DOLLARS:"

Step 4:
    Finally make one last fold, and with a magic marker, add the following letters to reveal a hidden message!

Nothing there indicates it's serious.

There's nothing there to indicate his viewers intelligence.

He's issued a statement.

True, and if people didn't tune into him just to be outraged he would probably be off of the air.

Someone is outraged by him here at SS daily.

I blame THEM for his popularity!!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    wait - is someone claiming that Beck is popular because he pisses off people?

He's a classic rabble-rouser.

The rabble falls for these types every time.

It's a good thing he's not on a fair & balanced new channel then.

I could be mistaken but I don't believe Beck's favorable ratings are due to people who tune into him just to get pissed off.

I could be mistaken but I don't believe Beck's favorable ratings are due to people who tune into him just to get pissed off.

I never said they were his main audience, but they are a significant share.

And then there are plenty who just love the fact that he's pissing people off.

Again, I don't mean to sound disbelieving but this really doesn't make intuitive sense. I've never watched the Glen Beck show in my life but through other shows, like The Daily Show or Colbert Report (or any number of leftist websites), I'm exposed to parts of his broadcast. I am not, however, remotely contributing to his direct popularity.

Why would one subject themselves to a show that they have a strong suspicion is going to piss them off? What kind of masochistic form of media consumption is that? I really can't think of a single corollary.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Again, I don't mean to sound disbelieving but this really doesn't make intuitive sense. I've never watched the Glen Beck show in my life but through other shows, like The Daily Show or Colbert Report (or any number of leftist websites), I'm exposed to parts of his broadcast. I am not, however, remotely contributing to his direct popularity.

Why would one subject themselves to a show that they have a strong suspicion is going to piss them off? What kind of masochistic form of media consumption is that? I really can't think of a single corollary.

Well, I think we need to make a distinction between people who might tune in to Beck in order to get angry AT him versus people who tune in to Beck in order to get angry WITH him. And there are an awful lot of people in the latter category.

Also, there's an interesting dynamic happening of late: As Beck shifts his stance from "radio shock jock" to "serious political thinker" (culminating with his theater-of-the-absurd "plan for the next 100 years" that he's going to lay out in DC on the anniversary of MLK's "I have a dream" speech), he's losing a lot of viewers. To me, this suggests that a good chunk of his audience doesn't want to be serious, they just want an excuse to be "righteously" angry.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    In the 90s my dad would listen to the Limbaugh radio show because it pissed him off.

It really irritated me.

Well, I think we need to make a distinction between people who might tune in to Beck in order to get angry AT him versus people who tune in to Beck in order to get angry WITH him. And there are an awful lot of people in the latter category.

Of course. I've always assumed a large % of his audience were precisely people in the latter camp. It just doesn't make sense to me that a statistically significant % of his viewers tune in just so they can get heated by him.

Also, there's an interesting dynamic happening of late: As Beck shifts his stance from "radio shock jock" to "serious political thinker" (culminating with his theater-of-the-absurd "plan for the next 100 years" that he's going to lay out in DC on the anniversary of MLK's "I have a dream" speech), he's losing a lot of viewers. To me, this suggests that a good chunk of his audience doesn't want to be serious, they just want an excuse to be "righteously" angry.

Maybe - though it might be a bit early to draw long-term conclusions based on only a few weeks of evidence.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Once a speaker who worked in radio spoke at a school event of mine. He said that there was a lot of money to be made in "conservative" media since right-wingers seem to enjoy hearing people who hold the exact same views they do, and enjoy being told what to think. Whereas the "liberals" listen to NPR and whatnot and agree to disagree. I don't remember this guy's name, but he knew Limbaugh and said that he was an incredibly smart man who worked like a dog to read up about every political issue and news story of the moment just to fill his arsenal up with shit to throw.

These guys know that they're pandering to the crowd; their very livelihoods depend on it. The biggest shame is that too many people rely on their commentary as actual news, whereas even a dumbass can identify Colbert/Stewart as satirists.

In the case of Howard Stern his numbers showed(during the height of his popularity) that people who claimed to dislike him actually listened to him longer each day than people who said they liked him.

Look at Simon Cowell....dude built a lucrative career because people loved to hate him.

The Beck hate comes across to me as a self esteem builder..."Look how stupid/racist this guy and all his "followers" are....I'm so much better/smarter than they are".

Let me ask you this O....If people don't watch him to hate on him, and the above isn't true, why does he get so much face time here??

I agree with Beck being an entertainer and a decent proportion of his audience (But not the main %) are people who he pisses off. I think the main difference IMO. Is none of the people like Stern, Limbaugh, Stewart, etc are on a professed fair & balanced new channel. His show is week nights at 5PM in a prime spot on one of the largest news channels in the world.

The day Stern is on at 5PM on CNN, I'll totally agree with you rock.

And I think the main potion of people who dislike Beck, don't watch his show. They get his idiocy from other means and not directly from watching the guy.

In the case of Howard Stern his numbers showed(during the height of his popularity) that people who claimed to dislike him actually listened to him longer each day than people who said they liked him.

Look at Simon Cowell....dude built a lucrative career because people loved to hate him.

The Beck hate comes across to me as a self esteem builder..."Look how stupid/racist this guy and all his "followers" are....I'm so much better/smarter than they are".

Let me ask you this O....If people don't watch him to hate on him, and the above isn't true, why does he get so much face time here??

Apples and oranges with the comparisons above.

For one, radio is mobile and that changes the way in which one consumes a radio host vs. a television host. Moreover, I think there are people who could find Stern's show (or him) distasteful but they'd still tune in out of some curious fascination. I'm sure those people exist for Beck. I just don't happen to believe it's a significant portion of his audience however.

For two, Simon Cowell is part of a larger show; he is not the show itself. You can't compare that with a host like Beck or Olbermann where they are the ONLY reason you would tune in. With "American Idol", if you like the show but hate Cowell, you learn to deal with Cowell. You don't stop watching the show you otherwise like just because you hate one component of it.

I fully believe there are people who watch Beck for pure entertainment value. But I don't think those are the same people who get genuinely pissed off at him; I think it's people who are emotionally indifferent to his politics, even if they diverge from their own. But if Beck makes you boiling mad? I just don't buy that you're tuning into his show.

You also don't need to watch in order to have that "self esteem building" moment. That's why you watch The Daily Show. They package it up for you so you <i>don't have to watch Beck</i>. Or listen to Palin's speeches. You just get the digestible nugget that's served up with the ridicule pre-packaged for you.

It's basically irrelevant if you tune in to his show directly or derive your outrage second hand. If you go on to the outernets and rant about him you are getting his name out there and growing his brand, and he is very aware of this.

I don't understand why anybody pays attention to him either way.

I don't think that's true.

There has been a boycott going on for the last few months and something like over 100 Fox advertisers have refused to have their products advertised during his show and his numbers have started to drop.

Some are stating it's around 50%

http://www.politicususa.com/en/glenn-beck-ratings-drop

I don't think that's true.

There has been a boycott going on for the last few months and something like over 100 Fox advertisers have refused to have their products advertised during his show and his numbers have started to drop.

Some are stating it's around 50%

http://www.politicususa.com/en/glenn-beck-ratings-drop

Except he rode this model to fame and fortune.

He may be slipping and overplaying his hand now, but that doesn't mean that he wasn't using people's outrage to his advantage.

I think recently he's gone too far for mainstream media and has made too many distasteful comments and that's what is hurting him.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I go back and forth on how important these people are.

On the one hand after Obama's inauguration the Rs were a drift with out a strategy of how to be the loyal opposition.

Then Rush came along with the say no to everything and make him fail strategy. This is the strategy the Rs have followed, making Rush pretty dern powerful.

On the other hand, Rush was the guy who pushed for McCain to select Palin, which ended any chance of a McCain victory. A sign of his strength.

The flip is he never backed McCain during the primaries, but McCain steamrolled the opposition.

It's hard to point to many election victories of politicians who were picked by the likes of Rush. We will have to see if Rubio or Paul can win a general election.

As for Beck, Savage, Foxnews; I think they have an impact, but mostly they preach to the choir. Before they came along the far right was greatly marginalized and lead by militia/John Burch types. Most right wing commentators were intellectuals like George Will, William Safire who often talked over the head of the masses and who were not entertaining. So for many right wingers Foxnews was a breath of fresh air. These people do turn in en mass and are influenced, but mostly they just have a voice now.

I miss Paul Harvey, he was the best.