Lovers Rock help

djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
Easyfirst off hello. I'm a dj/producer based in the uk (midlands), been checking a bit on here, grabbing some mixes and posted a couple of bits in the audio section. there's some serious knowledge on this board!Anyways, i was wondering if anyone knows of any good Lovers Rock albums on the same tip as Night Nurse by Gregory Isaacs? Just checking some compilations it seems like there's a fair bit of crap to wade through(like any genre though i guess).thanksAdam

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Well.. there's JA Lovers Rock and then there's the version UK. The JA version is mainly dudes and very much based on a US 70s Soul sound. The UK is it's own thing, predominately female singers, with a smooth and sultry sound, Sade meets Soul II Soul. (but you probably know this already.)

I think 12" are the way to go for Lovers Rock, although there are a few solid albums.
    The JA artists seem to be able to put together a solid lps worth of tunes more than their British counterparts. But then you'd expect that from artists like Sugar Minott, John Holt or Freddie McGregor.

There a LOT of dodgy comps available. But good reggae comps are nothing to be ashamed of, in fact they can be your best friend when trying to pick up things cheap, although some are now themselves fetching a hefty price.

You can't go wrong with the ones put together by David Rodigan.

The 'Massive: An Album Of Reggae Hits 1-3' compilations are a pretty good reflection of top tunes of the UK sound systems in the mid 80s. (They're half Lovers, with Dancehall on the flip though.)

'Lovers Rock Serious Selections 1-3' are also by Rodigan, mostly featuring the original 12? discomix versions.

also

'Lovers Fashion 1-2' on the UK Fashion label (that mainly focused on Lovers) are quality also.

There's lots of info already on the net, check this online station - www.burningrockers.com. There's also lots of Lovers tracks on Youtube, especially Mikey Dreads channel.

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    Brilliant, thanks for the help!