? - Lessons from fashion's free culture (TED TALK)

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
Big fan of TED Talks. Found this one pretty interesting. This ties in pretty well with my thoughts on sampling laws IMO.http://www.ted.com/talks/johanna_blakley_lessons_from_fashion_s_free_culture.htmlEdit: The embed below is kinda messed. Better to follow the link above to view fully.

Comments

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    pretty interesting; i think she makes a lot of good points.

still, i'm not sure that i agree with her on one of her most basic assumptions: that innovation is necessarily worthwhile(at the end, she goes as far as to say that an inter-disciplinary team should figure out what ownership rights would be ideal to create innovation, and that we enact those rights).

that might be true for utilitarian objects, assuming that the innovation makes the object help us do our job better. but for the arts, like music and fashion, there's nothing inherently good about innovation. you might make new music by doing something new, but if it's not "better" who gives a shit?

if that's the case, then maybe innovation isn't worth giving up the individual property rights of the work's creator? (i.e. giving up copywright)