Teh new LCD Soundsystem

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
File under: Better in concept than in practiceFile under: Overrated File under: Criticize before listeningPitchfork: 9.2And the verdict is... ?

Comments

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I'm a fan, but

Hate to say it but Hercules sorta ether'd the whole DFA catalog, IMO. That's going to be a veeeeery tough one to top.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    he was quoted by SFJ in a recent NYer as saying "the more you are like me, the less use you have for my band"

if that isn't the essence of the hipster aesthetic I dunno what is

• digging it

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    he was quoted by SFJ in a recent NYer as saying "the more you are like me, the less use you have for my band"

if that isn't the essence of the hipster aesthetic I dunno what is

Yeah, that was kind of a weird article. I hope SFJ was emulating his subject in his injecting of some musical reference every few paragraphs:

Blah blah blah... Iggy Pop... blah blah blah... Liquid Liquid... blah blah blah... Brian Eno.

And that's the thing, if this dude James Murphy is unabashedly jocking all these people's music, why not just listen to the real deal instead, especially when it is so obviously better. The "disco-rock" style still sounds like rap-rock to my years; if this is the way it supposed to sound, I rather listen to disco and rock separately. Then again, maybe I'm...

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I really like the track Kon put on that mix recently, 45:33 or something like that. Disappointed it wasn't on the album.

There are tracks I like a lot, but it didnt sound like a 9.2 to me..

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I've never heard this dude's music, but that piece made it sound deeply unappealing.

SFJ is perhaps throwing salt on LCD's game because his own shitty 99 Records inspired band fizzled

I really like the track Kon put on that mix recently, 45:33 or something like that. Disappointed it wasn't on the album.

Sounds like that might be that jogging song he made for the Nike-iTunes thing.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

45:33 is a completely different album. Actually it's a mix that was commissioned by Nike. Some of their best work. Which one did Kon use?

And Daniel they're a really good group although a bit of a lightning rod for people who want to decry anything for having been embraced by the "hipster" world. James Murphy is a talented dude. Plus they put on a hell of a live show.

I'll have to give the new album a listen.

has a record collector actually ever made good music?

serious question

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    SFJ is perhaps throwing salt on LCD's game because his own shitty 99 Records inspired band fizzled

• I really like the track Kon put on that mix recently, 45:33 or something like that. Disappointed it wasn't on the album.

45:33 is a completely different album. Actually it's a mix that was commissioned by Nike. Some of their best work. Which one did Kon use?

And Daniel they're a really good group although a bit of a lightning rod for people who want to decry anything for having been embraced by the "hipster" world. James Murphy is a talented dude. Plus they put on a hell of a live show.

I'll have to give the new album a listen.

cosmo's right about this being some of the bands best work. it's available split into individual tracks on cd and 2X lp.

To be sure, when Murphy hits, he hits. There are a couple of songs that I think are really great. The one that I love is this new-wave tune called "Too Much Love." In it, Murphy uses a processor on his voice and it's a fairly simply dance floor song. It's when he starts screaming that I really can't hang with.

However, LCD Soundsystem embodies hipsterdom and has so since its inception, for better or worse. His song "Losing My Edge" is practically the theme song (although probably not a bad choice). I saw him DJ once in 2003 or so; didn't mix much (if at all) but selection was good.

has a record collector actually ever made good music?

serious question

Uuuuhhh....really? List would be quite long, don't you think?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

To be sure, when Murphy hits, he hits. There are a couple of songs that I think are really great. The one that I love is this new-wave tune called "Too Much Love." In it, Murphy uses a processor on his voice and it's a fairly simply dance floor song. It's when he starts screaming that I really can't hang with.

However, LCD Soundsystem embodies hipsterdom and has so since its inception, for better or worse. His song "Losing My Edge" is practically the theme song (although probably not a bad choice). I saw him DJ once in 2003 or so; didn't mix much (if at all) but selection was good.

The thing that I think is so ironic is that, while you're right about "Losing My Edge" being a hipster anthem, it basically shits on everything "hipster." Talk about lost in translation...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

The thing that I think is so ironic is that, while you're right about "Losing My Edge" being a hipster anthem, it basically shits on everything "hipster." Talk about lost in translation...

Seriously. "I'm losing my edge to the art school Brooklynites with little jackets and borrowed nostalgia from the unremembered 80s."

I ride for LCD Soundsystem. Dude puts some good covers on the b-sides of his 7"s too.

Talk about lost in translation...

you think?

hating hipsters is the essence of hipsterdom

it's that self loathing thing - "I wouldn't belong to any club that would have me as a member" etc

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hahah yeah, "I'm losing my edge to the Internet seekers who can tell me every member of every good group from 1962 to 1978"

B/W

"I heard you have a compilation of every good song ever done by anybody. Every great song by the Beach Boys. All the underground hits. All the Modern Lovers tracks. I heard you have a vinyl of every Niagra record on German import. I heard that you have a white label of every seminal Detroit techno hit - 1985, '86, '87. I heard that you have a CD compilation of every good '60s cut and another box set from the '70s. "

• deanosoundsdeanosounds 181 Posts
    I'm a fan, but

Hate to say it but Hercules sorta ether'd the whole DFA catalog, IMO. That's going to be a veeeeery tough one to top.

I agree!! when's the next hercules album coming?

whatever ya'll - don't really matter what they represent, IMO. If WillyB wants to elect em for pres, so be it. that dude/label has made some of the best dance music of the past decade. not crazy about the new record - but sure as shitfire ain't ruling them out. Who the fck else is going to put out a Liquid Liquid LP this day in age?

And Losing My Edge was and is still hilarious.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

you think?

it's that self loathing thing - "I wouldn't belong to any club that would have me as a member" etc

I understand that sentiment but yes I think to a degree it's lost in translation whereas there was a whole scene out there that when they first listened to it said "Oh but they're not taking about me, they're talking about the new kid that moved in to the loft next door."

True again. It's funny in a few different ways -- him being "there" at the Paradise Garage, Ibiza, etc. He's obviously being snarky toward the kids he professes to losing said edge. But, at the time, he provided those same kids of laundry list of shit they would then name-drop ad infinitum.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    If dudes around here are hating on Losing My Edge, it's probaby because it hits a little too close to home. "Have you seen my records?"

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Who the fck else is going to put out a Liquid Liquid LP this day in age?

The Beastie Boys AKA "hipsters"

Tangent - do people still equate Williamsburg as the epicenter as all things hipster? I mean, I haven't been there in a long time but last I was it was like $4,000,000 condos and Hasidim.

Now BUSHWICK, I mean "East Williamsburg" on the other hand...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    If dudes around here are hating on Losing My Edge, it's probaby because it hits a little too close to home. "Have you seen my records?"

Hahah, yeah. "I hear everybody that you know is more relevant than everybody that I know."

B/W

As much as I love that song, and think James Murphy is the man, he PLAYYYED himself in that tune when he mentions "Eric B and RAKEEEM" - Talk about cringe worthy...

you think?

I understand that sentiment but yes I think to a degree it's lost in translation whereas there was a whole scene out there that when they first listened to it said "Oh but they're not taking about me, they're talking about the new kid that moved in to the loft next door."

ok, I'll trust you on this one

you'd know better than I

Tangent - do people still equate Williamsburg as the epicenter as all things hipster? I mean, I haven't been there in a long time but last I was it was like $4,000,000 condos and Hasidim.

Oh it's a scene man.

Have yourself a visit. You'll see - shit's hilarious.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

you think?

ok, I'll trust you on this one

you'd know better than I

Great, dude. Hope everything all works out for you.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Oh it's a scene man.

Have yourself a visit. You'll see - shit's hilarious.

Yeah, I'm cool man... I'll take your word for it.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

When it came out, someone on here (I wish I could remember who) posted something to that effect. It was almost james-ian in its absolute dead-on-ness.