Roll Bounce

jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I just saw the preview for this flick last night. As corny as it looks.... I'm gonna have to see this one. web a href="pagehttp://www2.foxsearchlight.com/rollbounce/" target="_blank">pagehttp://www2.foxsearchlight.com/rollbounce/[/url] I want my own roller disco (or at least do a night somewhere). I've talked to two different rinks and nobody is down to let in ANY outside music. Little Old Lady: "we don't allow any outside music. We have had the same DJ for 30 years and he's great." probably a case of Hiphophobia even though I explained it would be authentic Disco/Boogie music. As soon as I said turntables she got scared.Would it even be possible to have a roller rink that served booze. Or would liabillity present way to much of a problem???If there's any other Bay or even SoCal strutters that would be interested in trying to organize a roller type function please contact me.When I lived in LA I tried talking to that rink in Glendale but they weren't havin it. There's always World on Wheels.Being a major disco/boogie freak, playing at a rink would probably be my dream gig.Anyone else share this dream?Anyone ever play at a rink? So far the best I've gotten is two years ago when my friend took one of my boogie mixes out to Burning Man. She gave it to the guys with the roller rink and apparently they played the whole CD three times in a row!!!

Comments

• I want my own roller disco (or at least do a night somewhere). I've talked to two different rinks and nobody is down to let in ANY outside music. Little Old Lady: "we don't allow any outside music. We have had the same DJ for 30 years and he's great."

probably a case of Hiphophobia even though I explained it would be authentic Disco/Boogie music. As soon as I said turntables she got scared.

Would it even be possible to have a roller rink that served booze. Or would liabillity present way to much of a problem???

If there's any other Bay or even SoCal strutters that would be interested in trying to organize a roller type function please contact me.
    When I lived in LA I tried talking to that rink in Glendale but they weren't havin it. There's always World on Wheels.

Being a major disco/boogie freak, playing at a rink would probably be my dream gig.

Anyone else share this dream?
    Anyone ever play at a rink?

put together a little package. give them a few of your mixes. maybe make an example of a flyer you would pass out to show them you would help them promote the night and bring people to the rink. come up with an idea of how you would get paid (if you do want to). i.e. do they pay you a flat fee to play? do you take a dollar for each person that comes in the door? do you charge on the door too? maybe if they see how it can benifit them as well they will be interested, and you putting the package together shows them you are really interested.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

"Hello roller rink manager! We've put together a little package. Here's a few of our mixes and an example of a flyer we would pass out to help you promote a night and bring people to the rink. We can talk about how we would get paid, for example: do you pay us a flat fee to play or do we take a dollar for each person that comes in the door. If you see how it can benefit you as well me, we're sure you will be interested. I hope the fact that we've put this package together shows you that we are really interested. It'll be Super Sonic!"

"We don't allow any outside music. We have had the same DJ for 30 years and he's great."

"Hey you little sucker punk DJs! Are you bitches trying to step to me, dog? I'll battle you anytime, anyplace... but this is MY house, son! MY... HOUSE....SON!!!!! Bet!"

• yeah you're right. they've already told him no. might as well not spend the couple of hours it would take to put that together and go talk to the rink owners for his dream gig.

not trying to be the motivational speaker but if you gotta dream might as well make it happen. whats the worst that will happen? they tell you no? so you have to go back to scheming how you gonna make that dream happen.

i'd go talk to the dj too. dude has been doing it for 30 years. he probably wouldn't mind taking a friday off once a month. maybe he has always wanted to take his girl to the drive-ins on friday but had that roller gig. i know when i had my weekly there were times i needed somebody to step in.

not trying to be the motivational speaker but if you gotta dream might as well make it happen. whats the worst that will happen? they tell you no? so you have to go back to scheming how you gonna make that dream happen.

All jokes aside, I completely agree. The more work you put in, and the more persistent you are, the more chance you'll make something happen.

And this might be a longshot, but is there a girls rollerderby league in your area? That's how my co-DJ and I ended up spinning punk and funk at roller rink a few months ago - we played while them chicks was skating around wailing on each other to the joy of a couple hundred people. You could contact your local rollerderby league and see if they have any hints on how to get a left-of-center event happening at the rink.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Thanks for the good ideas. There's a Bay Area Derby Girls league that has formed, but they haven't done any bouts yet. I'm deffinetly going to conntact them. Tho from what I understand they prefer that Rockabilly crap. But they might be swayed once they peep the ill boogie.

Thanks for the good ideas. There's a Bay Area Derby Girls league that has formed, but they haven't done any bouts yet. I'm deffinetly going to conntact them. Tho from what I understand they prefer that Rockabilly crap. But they might be swayed once they peep the ill boogie.

Yeah you don't need to do any events with 'em, just see what kind of contacts they've made with rinks that are open-minded.

Granny might have been a Vaughn Mason groupie back in the day you never know