Mothers Day is a Nazi-Capitalist Abomination

staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
So after you get your flowers and chocolate spending frenzy on think about this you capitalist robots
In 1907 Anna Marie Jarvis (1864-1948), a Philadelphia teacher originally from Grafton, West Virginia, began her own efforts to establish a national Mother's Day.
Germany's first Muttertag observance took place in 1922, Austria's in 1926 (or 1924, depending on the source). Muttertag was first declared an official German holiday in 1933 (the second Sunday in May) and took on a special significance as part of the Nazi motherhood cult under the Hitler regime. There was even a medal?das Mutterkreuz?in bronze, silver, and gold (eight or more Kinder!), awarded to mothers who produced children for the Vaterland. (The medal had the popular nickname of "Karnickelorden," the "Order of the Rabbit.") After World War II the German holiday became a more unofficial one that took on the cards-and-flowers elements
After the war it was one of the bright ideas of nazi germany the us latched onto, along with other highlights such as nazi rocket science & scientists, and of course the bush family fortune - seeing the uber celebrating of mothers day as a nice commercial money spinner for companies like Hallmark
The holiday eventually became so highly commercialized that many, including its founder, Anna Jarvis, considered it a "Hallmark Holiday", i.e. one with an overwhelming commercial purpose. Nine years after the first official Mother's Day, commercialization of the U.S. holiday became so rampant that Anna Jarvis herself became a major opponent of what the holiday had become and spent all her inheritance and the rest of her life fighting what she saw as an abuse of the celebration.Later commercial and other exploitations of the use of Mother's Day infuriated Anna and she made her criticisms explicitly known throughout her time. She criticized the practice of purchasing greeting cards, which she saw as a sign of being too lazy to write a personal letter. She was arrested in 1948 for disturbing the peace while protesting against the commercialization of Mother's Day, and she finally said that she "wished she would have never started the day because it became so out of control. She died in 1948, regretting what had become of her holiday. In the United States, Mother's Day remains one of the biggest days for sales of flowers, greeting cards, and the like; it is also the biggest holiday for long-distance telephone calls.Mother's Day continues to this day to be one of the commercially most successful U.S. occasions. According to the National Restaurant Association, Mother's Day is now the most popular day of the year to dine out at a restaurant in the United States.For example, according to IBISWorld, a publisher of business research, Americans will spend approximately $2.6 billion on flowers, $1.53 billion on pampering gifts?like spa treatments?and another $68 million on greeting cards.Mother's Day will generate about 7.8% of the U.S. jewelry industry's annual revenue in 2008, with custom gifts like mother's rings.It's possible that the holiday would have withered over time without the support and continuous promotion of the florist industries and other commercial industries. Other Protestant holidays from the same time, like Children's Day and Temperance Sunday, do not have the same level of popularity.

Comments

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    so Im guessing you didn't get your mom anything?

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    Except that Mother's Day was made a national holiday by Woodrow Wilson in 1914 - well before the Nazis (or the DAP for that matter) even existed.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    it only blew up like that after the mid forties - which is when its founder started denouncing it

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    But by the information in your OP, she was already protesting it 9 years after it became a national holiday (1923). Roosevelt had a stamp made commemorating the holiday in 1934.

The Nazi connection seems spurious, at best.

EDIT: Even if it did start to gain popularity and commercial importance following the war, my guess would be that that would be more due to the effects of the Depression as well as war austerity measures.

keep telling yourself that as you nurse your guilty conscience for participating in a nazi glutton fest - mama's boy

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I enjoy posts that BEGIN by validating Godwin's Law.

In any case, Nazi connect or not, Mother's Day is an obnoxious holiday, perhaps only second to Valentine's Day for manufactured sentiment.

(I'm still taking my mom out to dinner though).

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Im workin today - and the restaurants are usually a mess this day.

Ill cook when i get home.

Mommy had the nerve to ask for some Ribs/Greens/Mac-N-Cheese.

"I cant whip that up after work?" WTF.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    restaurants are usually a mess this day

no nazi can stop be me from knocking up a killer breakfast for my special lady friend

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    my mother just called me a poo face on facebook.
    she's a wild one, but i love her to death!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Well I'm pretty sure there are many different takes on mothers day through out history. Just a couple

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matronalia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothering_Sunday

But in any case, I called my mom.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Seeing first hand what my 7.5 month pregnant wife has been through already, without even getting to the labor or years of parenting, moms certainly deserve a day for some extra love. You don't have to spend a bunch of money, but do something for your mom, she birthed your stupid ass.

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    i got my mom a tea set.

was that wrong?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    A) Dude is broke

B) Hates his Mom

C) Ungrateful little prick

D) Siblings are not broke and make him look bad annually.

E) Loves to type the word Nazi(See E40 Thread)

A) Dude is broke

B) Hates his Mom

A) Dude is broke

B) Hates his Mom

You forgot to mention he was a Nazi.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Worst. Troll. Thread. Ever.

I don't know.....that one last year that claimed Father's Day was created by NAMBLA was pretty good.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    i got my mom a tea set.

was that wrong?

you Nazi loving bastard

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

Aren't they generally non-factual in content?

I agree mothers need some saluting, but American holidays and observances tend to be mostly of the economically stimulating nature.

i got my mom a tea set.

was that wrong?

you Nazi loving bastard

worst. sense. of. humor. ever.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    A) Dude is broke

B) Hates his Mom

RLMAO....

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Sooooo, no gift for dilla's mom staxwax?

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I find it a little odd that Rock even looked at the E-40 thread.

I thought it was about an IRS form that would save Senior Citizens $$$.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

I thought it was about an IRS form that would save Senior Citizens $$$.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Mother's Day is an obnoxious holiday

yeah, today totally sucked. the worst part was the look on my Mother's face when she opened my gift.
    it was like she was happy or grateful or something ... ugh.

to think I could have slept in and not driven to this useless brunch with that ... woman.