Beatmixing with belt-driven turntables?

bropsbrops 182 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
This is what I got:That's all I could afford when I bought them a few months ago. Right now I really regret I didn't wait half a year, maybe I could afford something a little better... but that's how it is, not much to do with that now.Anyway, I mostly just play my records anyway. I've been doing some DJing, but that's mostly i-am-a-drunk-student parties, and the music I play got to be in that category (mostly indie stuff (yes, dance-disco-post-funk-punk).. and rock, metall and if I'm lucky some hip hop). I haven't been too serious about being a good DJ technically, but have concentrated more on just playing good music as get people up on their feets. Recently I've feeled that people get more eclectic (you know, this is Norway... most people are kind of slow here), and hip hop and different more beat-centered music is more appreciated.So I thought why not get a little bit more serious about this. I've been trying to beatmix for ages now, but I just can't figure it out. Does anyone have any good advices for a total newbie? When I'm DJing at clubs I have better decks, so therefore I also feel I have more control. Maybe I don't, but home on my shitty Numarks I feel helpless.

Comments

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Don't sweat it. A lot of us on here learned on belt drive tables. BD-10s baaaby!

besides, if you learn on belt drives then everything else will be easy as hell.

• For belt drives, those have got to be 100 times better than the old shit I vicked from my grandma. Those actually have pitch control.

For a while I was rockin a belt drive with no pitch control and one of these.

Technics SL 1100. It had pitch ontroll but the torque was all jacked up. At least it wasn't belt drive.

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    Okey, I'll guess I have to give it a real try then. Any tips/tricks on where to start? I've heard it's a good idea to get two of the same records with an easy beat. Should I do that?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Okey, I'll guess I have to give it a real try then. Any tips/tricks on where to start? I've heard it's a good idea to get two of the same records with an easy beat. Should I do that?

Yea, and if you can get them various beat battle records. Starting with the same record is a good place to start, but useing the beat battle type records with endless beats is a good way to get the hang of matching pitches with bifferent beats. Treat it like any kind of music practice.....don't worry about anything that would sound good for a show or club, just practice. I used to just go back and forth for an hour with 2 Mark the 45 King break records and it ws a lot of help. Good luck!

• chasechase 767 Posts
    if you learn just using the pitch fader it wont matter what type of table your using.. that being said

you need to learn to count music, and as long as you can find the "one" count, you will be in the right direction

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Practice on those until they break and hopefully by then you will have saved enough money for a good setup.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    The best music to get a feel for beat matching with would be straight up four on the floor BOOM - BOOM - BOOM - BOOM type club music - especially music made electronically so you know it is going to be a perfect steady tempo.

Heres the method (you might already know, but just in case...)

1. Find the first beat of the record in the headphones. (Obviously while the record you want to mix it with is playing).

2. Rub the record back and forth on the first beat in-time with the beat on the record thats playing.

When it gets to the start of a bar on the record that is playing (ie. 1[/b] - 2 - 3 - 4 - 1[/b] - 2 - 3 - 4......) let your record go on the 1 (still only in your headphones) - immediately get on the pitch and adjust the speed until the beats are perfectly synchopated.

3. When you think you've got it right, pick the needle up and go back to the first beat at the start of the record again. Let it go at the start of a bar again (still only in the headphones)[/b], but this time leave the pitch alone and let it play for a good 20 seconds to see if it stays in time.

4. Make minor adjustments to the pitch to fine tune it if it is slightly losing or gaining pace on the record thats already playing.

The records should be like this.

(playing record) 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 | 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

(cueing record) 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 | 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

If they aren't quite in sync, it would look more like this:

(playing record) 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 | 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

(cueing record) 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 | 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 < this one needs speeding up.

5. Finally, get it so that you can hear both records in your headphones and adjust the volume of the record you want to mix in so that it sounds about the same level as the one thats playing - check what you are hearing against the level-meter on your mixer. A lot of djs forget how important this bit is.

6. Now drop that first beat on the start of a bar on the record thats playing and mix it in.

You should be listening to the monitor or sound system now instead of your headphones.

If you have dropped the beat in a little bit late or early and its not quite in time, pince the turntable spindle with your fingers to slow the record down or lightly tap the label area to speed it up. Dont touch the pitch cause you should have got that bit okay.

After a while of getting used to doing this, you can pretty much have one little listen in the headphones and, get the tempo right pretty much instantly and adjust it as you are mixing it in.

Thats how I'd do it anyway.

PAECE!

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    Excellent! Thank you very much.

5. Finally, get it so that you can hear both records in your headphones and adjust the volume of the record you want to mix in so that it sounds about the same level as the one thats playing - check what you are hearing against the level-meter on your mixer. A lot of djs forget how important this bit is.

I don't have a level-meter on my mixer. A new mixer is probably the first thing I'm gonna upgrade. The one I have now is not much.. what mixer would you guys recommend if you don't have to much money and don't gonna scratch?

• A friend of mine has that setup, if i remember correctly the cross fader will start crackling if you're gonna be scratching at all for any length of time, and the cost of replacing those makes it more sensible to by a new mixer first...

Belt drive decks make you have a lighter and more subtle touch which can be useful, i learnt on some real shitty decks that didn't stay in time for very long because the belt can stretch and mess up the timings... learn to quick mix to get over that... or do what loads of soul and funk guys do... just fade out one record and fade the next one in after it or just cut off the track that's playing (DJ Oneman stand up, haha

2nd Hand Technics are a good way to go... they hold their value well and they are reliable, if necessary just buy one, and then get a second one when you can afford it later down the line...

• MassiveMassive 194 Posts
    Wow, nice post Mr. Lee. Props. We need a "Knowledge Dropped" graemlin.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Its also a good idea to get some real good slipmats if you have tables with low torque. Butter rugs are good but you can also cut a circle out of plastic or wax paper to go under the slipmat you already have. Just use your existing slipmat or an LP to trace a circle on one of those plastic LP sleeves. This should make it a lot easier for you to control the record.

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    Butter rugs are good but you can also cut a circle out of plastic or wax paper to go under the slipmat you already have. Just use your existing slipmat or an LP to trace a circle on one of those plastic LP sleeves. This should make it a lot easier for you to control the record.

Done that. I bought DJ Q-Berts DIY DVD, so I learned this trick
    Also just bought some new slipmats, so I should be good to go...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    brops you know your countrymen are pretty much running shit right now on the underground dance tip right?

• Yooo, my homeboy bought the same set up last week..so i was showing him how to beatmatch and some other tricks. But man it's hard on these things, I guess they are cool to start with and later get something better but i noticed you can't go back I'm used to my 1200'S I couldn't even beatmatch on the Numarks

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    brops you know your countrymen are pretty much running shit right now on the underground dance tip right?

I probably should've, but don't know who you're talking about now. The only thing that comes to my mind is Tangoterje. He's allright I guess. Besides that we of course have the Bergen bands like R??yksopp, Datarock (friends of mine), Annie and Erlend ??ye, but those are not "underground", are they?

I though Norway was more "famous" because of their jazz acts like Supersilent, Bugge Wesseltoft, Rune Grammofon and Jazzland in general, and screwed electronica artists like Kim Hiorth??y. Which genre are you really talking about now?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    nevermind

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    Yooo, my homeboy bought the same set up last week..so i was showing him how to beatmatch and some other tricks. But man it's hard on these things, I guess they are cool to start with and later get something better but i noticed you can't go back I'm used to my 1200'S I couldn't even beatmatch on the Numarks

I've been trying a little with two of the same songs. I don't have two of the same records, so I played the one song from my computer and the other one on the turntable. Got it right after a while, but seems like my turntable actually is going faster than the song playing from cd, because after just a few seconds or so the turntable is ahead... been trying to fix it with the pitch, but with just small adjustments it's starting to go slower than the cd. Really frustrating...

playign the song on the computer and then on the decks isnt a good idea... the area on the pitch closest to 0 is where the adjustments are the least accurate..

back to norway yeah you named alot of the biggies... but your missign the big guns... lindstrom and prins thomas.

• CLabCLab 76 Posts
    lindstrom and prins thomas.

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    back to norway yeah you named alot of the biggies... but your missign the big guns... lindstrom and prins thomas.

Never heard of them actually... I'll definitely look into it. I'm the editor of a Norwegian site called Hissig (http://hissig.no/), so this might be something I should take a closer look at considering they're not well known in Norway.

the words blowing and UP spring to mind

::

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Whatever happened with Rune Lindbaek ? He was down with the Idjuts back in '00 and now it's all Lindstrom & PT...

Anyway, one of these days I'm getting my tattoo:

lindbaek did a really dope 12" on modal awhile back.. with the requisite lindstrom and prins thomas remixes.