Jack Mcduff

nrichnrich 932 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central

FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1113362269hcrink">

Heatin System[/b]
Hot
Really, Really Warm

INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">

Comments

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    hi

[brazilian musique is king]

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    just find a thread with the poll in it and copy the codes for it.

btw, i think that record is pretty good if memory serves me. I haven't listened to my copy in a long time though. jack mcduff has some good records.

dave

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    It's a really good Soul-Jazz piece by McDuff.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    that one is way cool, but I think I like Moon Rappin' better. Dustygroove calls it "Baroque" & "funky" - how do you compete?

An incredible record -- the kind of album that no fan of funky[/b] jazz should be without! This album is far and away one of the greatest ever cut by Brother Jack McDuff -- and it's a baroquely[/b] complicated batch of funky jazz cuts that's still light years ahead of any other record! The tracks are much longer than you'll find on Jack's other work -- and the group plays these lines that are laidback and trippy, yet which still have a tremendous amount of funk in them. Guitar sets the tone, spacing out over the drums of the great Joe Dukes; electric bass rumbles at all the low, dark spots; flute and tenor sax cut some sharp edges in the void; and the organ of Brother Jack comes in over the top, and soars with cosmic lines of sound! The album includes the monster cut "Oblighetto", sampled by Tribe Called Quest years back -- plus other amazing groovers, like "Flat Backin", "Moon Rappin", and "Loose Foot".

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1113362269hcrink">

Moon Rappin'[/b]
    Baroque
    Funky
    Baroquely funky

INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    I like the baroque many fany [brazilian] colours

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    I like his cover of Ain't No Sunshine. It's really unique and seems only loosely based on the og.

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    that one is way cool, but I think I like Moon Rappin' better. Dustygroove calls it "Baroque" & "funky" - how do you compete?

New sub-genre "Baroque 'N' Beat" starting in 10...9...8...7...

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I like his cover of Ain't No Sunshine. It's really unique and seems only loosely based on the og.

I have that on this Chess/Janus sampler. I agree.

"Gettin' Our Thing Together" is amazing too

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    What about "Magnetic Feel"?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I got that Hot Barbecue LP. That shit is pretty sick.

specially the cover where he's eating a BBQ slab bigger than your head

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    What about "Magnetic Feel"?
    i like this one

a little later but it sounds good to my ears

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

Heatin System[/b]

i got mucho jack mcduff LPs including this one and it doesn't get much love. I remember it being pretty average. And plus it pictures him playing a melodica inside the gatefold and I didn't hear a single note of that shit anywhere on the record. what gives?