So Canadians... (Democracy Related)

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Today was kinda a big deal.Not that 99.9% of Canadians know what's up. But Speaker Milliken has probably made one of the biggest rulings in recent Canadian history.Anyone any thoughts?I mean, it's not like I'm thinking shit is going to go crazy like what happened in the Ukraine today. But I'm sure constitutional experts & westminster style governments from around the world were watching.What will Harper do? Middle finger?Or should we just have a thread about Canadian food?

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Is that roadkill?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts
    Is that roadkill?

Dude, we could have messed with your countries parliamentary system today. You could at least say thank you.

No, it's pure Montreal goodness. I was not there for that particular photo taking. But that dish is dee-lish!!!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    The ruling is historic because the Speaker is essentially being asked to decide which is supreme, the Parliament or the government. In other words, does the Prime Mnister have the right to say no to the elected Parliament when matters of national security are at stake.

i am never super happy with the canadian system but i somewhat appreciate its consistency..i hope we stay the par

Well, it's not often that some sanity comes out of Ottawa.

I'm happy with today. But I'm curious if this whole 2 weeks things will go smoothly.

I am kinda hoping Harper tries to make himself King and we call in the army.

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    Hey guys, what actually happened today? I've been so busy with exam time lately that I haven't had time to follow the news.

• The Speaker of the House of Commons reaffirmed the long-standing principle of parliamentary supremacy. in that regard, i think has maintained the constitutional status quo and kept executive privilege in check.

as i understand it, the decision means that the parliament can compel the harper government to release what are expected to be very embarrassing documents about the treatment of detainees transferred by Canadian forces to Afghan prisons.

btw best smoked meat poutine i ever had was at the main in montreal.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    btw best smoked meat poutine i ever had was at the main in montreal.

fuck it, i'm going tonight.

and NAGL: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/poli...article1547671/

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

What will Harper do? Middle finger?

That's what he gave to the Supreme Court, the Federal Court and the Federal Court of Appeals regarding Omar Khadr, right?
    I hope for the best but expect the absolute worst.
    After what happened with Canadian foreign aid not supporting a woman's right to choose, I just sink deeper and deeper into depression when it comes to Canadian state of affairs.
    At this point, I am willing to experiment with this week's Ukrainian approach to settling political differences, just Harper and me, bare knuckles.

At this point, I am willing to experiment with this week's Ukrainian approach to settling political differences, just Harper and me, bare knuckles.

I'd pay to see this.

And I agree. The whole abortion G8 thing is NAGL X 10000000000

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

damn I'm hungry.