WTF Is Wrong With People

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Not even the woman he saved gave a damn???.........smhhttp://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/hugo_wouldn_have_done_that_family_FKNTR0IUj3tsYhB5uSzfELTale-Yax, 32, was fatally stabbed several times in the chest at 5:40 a.m. Sunday while saving a woman from a knife-wielding thug on 144th Street and 88th Road in Jamaica, according to police.Video footage from a surveillance camera shows dozens of passers-by walk past him as he lay on the ground.One indifferent stroller snapped a photo of the victim on his cellphone. Another even lifted an unresponsive Tale-Yax, saw a pool of blood below his body and then walked off. Firefighters didn?t receive a 911 call until 7:23 a.m.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    nagl

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    What about the lady he helped? She couldn't call 911 for the dude who saved her? Awful story. I hope they catch the killer.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    she apparently didnt know he was stabbed

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    boutique good samaritans on the colonialist tip

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I was going to say, "Isn't '911' in Jamaica '119'?" But then I found out it was in New York. And since Rock loves NYC so much...

There were some good points in the comments:

"Unfortunately many non-villainous people still figure that "getting involved" can lead only to trouble. Trust in government today is at such a low ebb that people are afraid even to call 911 anonymously. They assume, with some justification, that no good deed will go unpunished.

Something else to consider: how many people in NYC routinely, every day, walk right past some guy lying in a cardboard box? Well, how do you know there isn't a pool of blood under that guy? Do you ask him if he's OK or needs anything? Do you call 911? New Yorkers are accosted constantly by parasites with stories about how their wallet was just stolen and they have to get back to wherever. When you live in New York, you can't help but become defensive and callous."

I'm not so sure about the last sentence since I have never been there, but the "reasoning" of the people who walked by makes sense...somewhat. Plus, I'm sure people who saw blood immediately thought "Bloody homeless person = OMG! DISEASES! Don't touch!" Ignorant, but understandable.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    but understandable.

Not really...why you trying to play apologist?

• ennuiennui 111 Posts
    When I first heard about this yesterday morning, I thought it had striking similarities to the Kitty Genovese story, which also took place in Queens.

but understandable.

Not really...why you trying to play apologist?

To piss you off.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Soulstrut is on some Secret Wars shit right now. Everybody grab a partner and let's do this. Two men enter the octagon, one man leaves.[/b]

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    This is terrible but unless it was a visible puddle of blood who's gonna pay attention to a homeles man laying on the street? It sucks but look at the time we live in. This is awful though.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    There's a news item this morning about a 79 year old man getting robbed and roughed up on the subway by two guys and no one did anything - not even answer his cries for help.

I can't imagine the horror of needing help in a crowd of people and no one stepping forward.

Walking away from someone, anyone, lying in a pool of blood is not in any way understandable to me.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    This is terrible but unless it was a visible puddle of blood who's gonna pay attention to a homeles man laying on the street? It sucks but look at the time we live in. This is awful though.

Breeze is pretty much on point. It really sucks but such is life, especially in a big city like New York. If you see a homeless man lying on the street most of the time you're going to walk right past them.

And I saw this on the news last night. The pool of blood wasn't visible until the paramedics turned him over hours after the fact.

Still pretty terrible. Dude did a noble act and paid for it with his life.

The pool of blood wasn't visible until the paramedics turned him over hours after the fact.

Another even lifted an unresponsive Tale-Yax, saw a pool of blood below his body and then walked off.

Another even lifted an unresponsive Tale-Yax, saw a pool of blood below his body and then walked off.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    There's a news item this morning about a 79 year old man getting robbed and roughed up on the subway by two guys and no one did anything - not even answer his cries for help.

I can't imagine the horror of needing help in a crowd of people and no one stepping forward.

Walking away from someone, anyone, lying in a pool of blood is not in any way understandable to me.

i saw a girl running away in tears from a BIG dude a month ago...he catches up to her and she screams let me go you are hurting me...

this was late at night near a metro station in a semi shady avenue...
    there were cops right in front of the station and i was on the other side of the street...

the cops left in their car...passers by were on some

she storms into the metro... the guy was quite behind her (letting her go)

then he finally bolts for the metro

i left my girl's hands and ran in pulled the guy's coat and told him to calm down
    he shoves me and jumps the rail..the metro employee just looks to the ground...
    i had to run down stairs and stop dude to make sure the girl got in the metro and he did not

thanks god for the good timing minor bruises.... no one was goint to help and thank god i got involved

you can't count on anyone to do the right thing... its depressing
    and with the lederly it's disheartening

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    well youre lucky you werent killed. im not superman.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

i saw a girl running away in tears from a BIG dude a month ago...he catches up to her and she screams let me go you are hurting me...

this was late at night near a metro station in a semi shady avenue...
    there were cops right in front of the station and i was on the other side of the street...

the cops left in their car...passers by were on some

she storms into the metro... the guy was quite behind her (letting her go)

then he finally bolts for the metro

i left my girl's hands and ran in pulled the guy's coat and told him to calm down
    he shoves me and jumps the rail..the metro employee just looks to the ground...
    i had to run down stairs and stop dude to make sure the girl got in the metro and he did not

thanks god for the good timing minor bruises.... no one was goint to help and thank god i got involved

you can't count on anyone to do the right thing... its depressing
    and with the lederly it's disheartening

The last real ass whuppin i took was the result of stepping in to help a train driver who had just been sucker punched by some fuckin wannabe thug back in Sydney in 1999.

a full subway car full of people watched the whole thing go down, as did THREE uniformed train security guys.

tough guy's friend cracked me with a bottle from behind as i was calmly and non confrontationally trying to diffuse the situation and get the driver out of danger. 4 of them stomped me out while a good 100 people sat in their seats and watched.

when i stubled back onto the train, some fuckin cunt actually had the nerve to say "that was fuckin stupid mate".

there is something in me that just cannot bare to see someone being hurt, its always been that way. Victimization/Bullying in any form turns my fuckin stomach.
    I have had to work hard on keeping my impulses in check since becoming a father,and know that there is more than one way to win a fight, but if someone needs help, i think we all have a duty to step in.

i am as guilty as any city-dweller of turning away from panhandlers and junkies, but i have lost friends to junk, and been homeless and alone in a big city myself, so i do try and help where i can, seeing kids begging (knowing they are the victims of an organised scam) breaks my heart.

Maybe im a big softy, but i can live with some bruises, what i cant live with is knowing i had the chance to help someone but instead turned a blind eye.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

Maybe im a big softy, but i can live with some bruises, what i cant live with is knowing i had the chance to help someone but instead turned a blind eye.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

This.

I still feel like shit for not doing anything years ago as a guy just yelled and yelled at who I guess was his girl for everyone on the subway platform to hear. He grabbed her a couple of times, too, which made my heart jump because I didn't know if he was going to shove her on the tracks. It was ugly and meant to humiliate her. She kept walking away, he followed her and I followed them. But I never said a anything, which I should have just to distract him or diffuse it.
    I didn't know how to deal with the way she was dealing with it. It was so hard to tell what she may have wanted to happen; to be left alone by everyone and to mind their own business or to be rescued from this guy. I feel like I should have just taken a chance of getting yelled at by both if it was the former rather than leaving her stranded on the latter.
    They were going a different direction than me, they got on their train and I felt sick to my stomach.

I already told this story on here, but New Year's Eve I had to beat the living shit out of this dude who was roughing up some girl as 15 other people just stood there with their do-nothing jaws on the floor.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I was in the lobby of a club and this dude was punching a girl in the face....I grabbed him by the shoulder, spun him around and took a fist to the eye that resulted in sticthes....by the time the club bouncers had the guy on the ground the girl was yelling for them to leave him alone.

Maybe I should have learned a lesson from that but I would do the same exact thing if I saw it again, only this time I'd duck.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Come close to death a few times. Best to see the situations coming, and avoid them.

I was in the lobby of a club and this dude was punching a girl in the face....

...the girl was yelling for them to leave him alone.

Pathetic and sadly, all too typical. "But-but-but...he looooooves me!"

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    A 70 year old man was stabbed in my neighborhood last year. He laid on the sidewalk for an hour and a half, moaning, bleeding to death while people walked by. Witnesses said they thought he was a homeless man.

Not to toot my own horn because I'm an asshole, but I actually do check on unconscious/semi-conscious homeless people.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Two friends of mine (now married) saw a woman being assulted in south west Sydney one night a few years back now. The guy (who was pretty built) ended up copping a beating not only from the guy but from the girl he tried to help. That's often what happens though in situations of doemestic violence, apparently. The victim will often side with the perpetrator out of fear of repercussions.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Yeah, I would advice one think before jumping in on some violence. You can lose your life as this story proves. I have a big scar on my lip for trying to help someone catchin a whoopin.

But letting people bleed to death on your street is not cool.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    I was at a Notting Hill Carnival house party that got weird quick. One of the owners went MIA and the other passed out. Party went from fun to real fun to wtf are random people just coming in off the street? once the soundsystems closed down.

At one point a huge fight broke out upstairs and this woman getting beaten up started shrieking. people downstairs froze to listen and people upstairs were watching it like entertainment. The bystander effect is real: i froze too - but then shook it off and ran up the stairs from the foyer to save her.

when i got to the landing i realized it was a skinny dude getting his ass kicked screaming in a high-pitched falsetto. i caught a lot of ribbing for that one.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    its easy to freeze up, but shits gotta be said. even "YO, what THE HELL!" or whatever to distract,maybe buy the victim some time. jumping in physically is another matter. but if i saw someone victimizing an old person or a child i wouldnt sit on the sidelines

a good friend of mine, tired of seeing parents scream on kids and bully them in public decided that when he saw that shit, he'd walk up to the parent,point in their face and say "shut up". i told him to prepare to get punched in the face.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

The last real ass whuppin i took was the result of stepping in to help a train driver who had just been sucker punched by some fuckin wannabe thug back in Sydney in 1999.

huh, yeah, same thing with me, last beating I caught was when I tried to help a kid getting the shit kicked out of him at a hardcore show. I thought I was going to be OK, I calmly stepped to dude who was literally holding an unconscious kid up with one hand while punching him in the face with the other and just sort of said "he's had enough, man" and he let go of the kid and seemed to chill ... then his boy went "WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU??" and suddenly I had 6 dudes on me throwing punches and kicking while I turtled. The dude that was on-stage singing for the band (and my friend) actually came down and pushed to the back of the club and pulled dudes off of me one-by-one. I was spitting blood and had a good shiner, but honestly a few bruises were better than idly watching somebody get put in a coma just to satisfy some sadistic jock urges.

• It's stories like these that truly make me wonder at times. For me personally, if I see trouble that can be handled with a simple intervention, I'm willing to step in and calm whatever needs to be calmed. But when it's something that has a chance to become violent and possibly deadly, it becomes a situational ethic. If it's a woman or child, I'll most definitely do SOMETHING. Anything is better than ignoring the fact. Even if I can't physically do anything, I can at least call 911 or try to get people's attention by yelling. I know that in certain cities there's a saturation of stories that are all the same, but even still it doesn't take much to prevent something from becoming potentially disastrous. YELL! Or call 911. Or if you can, do something yourself.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

huh, yeah, same thing with me, last beating I caught was when I tried to help a kid getting the shit kicked out of him at a hardcore show. I thought I was going to be OK, I calmly stepped to dude who was literally holding an unconscious kid up with one hand while punching him in the face with the other and just sort of said "he's had enough, man" and he let go of the kid and seemed to chill ... then his boy went "WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU??" and suddenly I had 6 dudes on me throwing punches and kicking while I turtled. The dude that was on-stage singing for the band (and my friend) actually came down and pushed to the back of the club and pulled dudes off of me one-by-one. I was spitting blood and had a good shiner, but honestly a few bruises were better than idly watching somebody get put in a coma just to satisfy some sadistic jock urges.

FSU-related?