jazzstrut

danceonamericadanceonamerica 233 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I know that this is not JAZZSTRUT.COM and I do not have the pretentiousness to be a jazz expert. However, I do have a question for you folks.Does any1 knows a website that includes tons of extensive reviews of CLASSIC jazz albums. Not necessarily made by the expert collector (the reissue buyers goes too).I would like to read more on the subject and perhaps buying a couples recommended reissues.Especially the 50's / 60's stuff. The Blue Note, 6-EYE, Prestige type of stuff.Thanks a lot!

Comments

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Take a look at www.allaboutjazz.com. They're a nice bunch and there are a couple of very deep cats on there who seem to have tapes or records for every jazz session that ever happened. Not nearly as much fun as Soulstrut though and you have to ask the specific questions to pick up the real knowledge (as opposed to lurking) but there's usually someone there with an answer. It just feels a little sloooow after this place.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    yo, take that shit over to the kenburnscrouchsalis forums!

you can pretty much buy anything on the labels/years you mentioned.

far as reissues: things are good right now. peep the classic records Blue Note 200g quiex mono reissues ($30). best on the market. i sell my OGs when these come out.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

far as reissues: things are good right now. peep the classic records Blue Note 200g quiex mono reissues ($30). best on the market. i sell my OGs when these come out.

Plus, I know Fatback will probably scream me a new one for this, but there are a lot of excellent cheap RVG series reissues coming out on CD that prior to this have been unavailable except in expensive Japanese pressings, LPs like Bobby Hutcherson's Oblique. Just this week that came out as well as Andrew Hill's 'Jugement!' and Lonnie Smith's 'Think!', which are 2 other great sessions that I have yet to find on vinyl. I have also gotten into the habit of trolling for old, OOP Conniseuer Blue Note CDs on the cheap, as many of these are almost as tough to find as the LPs, stuff like Horace Silver's 'Further Explorations' or Grachan Moncur's LPs.

Plus, I know Fatback will probably scream me a new one for this, but there are a lot of excellent cheap RVG series reissues coming out on CD that prior to this have been unavailable except in expensive Japanese pressings, LPs like Bobby Hutcherson's Oblique. Just this week that came out as well as Andrew Hill's 'Jugement!' and Lonnie Smith's 'Think!', which are 2 other great sessions that I have yet to find on vinyl. I have also gotten into the habit of trolling for old, OOP Conniseuer Blue Note CDs on the cheap, as many of these are almost as tough to find as the LPs, stuff like Horace Silver's 'Further Explorations' or Grachan Moncur's LPs.

you fucking tool. where do you live?

you fucking tool. where do you live?

Come and get me you classist piece of shit! ::sonned::

::sonned::

I meant to say 'classiest' piece of shit.