Reccomend a Tasty Vegetarian Dish I Can Cook

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
hey, i need to feed some vegetarians tonight (fish and dairy are ok) and as a committed meat eater, i can;t come up with a damn thing to prepare. please suggest some dishes/recipes that are not extreme;y difficult to prepare and that will please...

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Cut up some Anaheim peppers into seedless strips, fry them in butter and then put them in corn tortillas with cheddar cheese sprinkled in. Really simple, but really delicious!

• i may just try that. thanks for the suggestion, harv.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    aubergine parmegianna

or a simple coucous royal
    minus the lamb merguez

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Homemade mac n cheese

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I love eggplant but have given up cooking it at home.
    I just can't get it right.
    I grew up with it but my Mom never salted/rinsed it out like a lot of recipes call for - "to draw out the bitterness".

Is this as common as it seems?

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    My new favorite recipe site. On the left column you'll find the section for vegetarian recipes, and a lot of their pastas are vegetarian too.

• thanks for the suggestions everyone, keep them coming. i have another hour before i make the call..

btw- as much as i like the taste of eggplant, i sort of can't deal with the texture.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

Jerk Tofu.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I love eggplant but have given up cooking it at home.
    I just can't get it right.
    I grew up with it but my Mom never salted/rinsed it out like a lot of recipes call for - "to draw out the bitterness".

Is this as common as it seems?

You salt the eggplant to draw out water so it is not too soggy during cooking.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Sounds like we're talking about the same thing, different names. The only thing about drawing out the liquid is that it can get spongy, I like it tender.

AK! It was just not meant to be, eggplant and me in the kitchen.

WIKI:
    The usual preparation method for reducing the bitter taste of eggplant involves slicing, washing and then rubbing the vegetable with salt. The salt pulls out the bitter juices via osmosis, so when preparing it is often best to put the slices of eggplant on a rack over a sink or on paper towels. Wash the salt off after at least thirty minutes, dry thoroughly and cook the eggplant as desired; keep in mind that often a small amount of salt remains in the flesh, so the amount of salt added during cooking may be less than you might think. When the eggplant has been "purged" in this manner, the flesh becomes much more absorbent and flexible, like a sponge, and is excellent at absorbing other liquids and flavors. Be aware that the eggplant can absorb more oil than any other vegetable. Another cleaning method is to simply soak the pieces in clean cold water or milk for thirty minutes.

http://bbq.about.com/od/fruitandvegetables/qt/blqt0009.htm

http://www.saveur.com/article/Techniques/Removing-the-Bitterness-from-Eggplant

• Ginger Fried Rice> Since I saw this, I've been making it on the reg. I don't always use leeks but I usually use some filler like cabbage or bok choy. The really great part is the crispy garlic and ginger.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    hey, i need to feed some vegetarians tonight (fish and dairy are ok) and as a committed meat eater, i can;t come up with a damn thing to prepare. please suggest some dishes/recipes that are not extreme;y difficult to prepare and that will please...

A good vegetarian stir fry never hurts.

• spaghetti with swiss chard, shallots, garlic, olives, chickpeas, and feta.

saute the sliced swiss chard stems in olive oil, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes with the sliced shallots. Add the garlic (I like it sliced, not crushed) after a couple of minutes or when the stems and shallots are soft. after about a minute (just before the garlic starts to color), add the olives (chopped) and chick peas. after another minute add the swiss chard leaves (chopped) and some water. cover for a few minutes until the swiss chard leaves are wilted. Turn off the heat and mix in the feta, some fresh lemon juice, and a splash of olive oil. Toss with cooked spaghetti.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    I used to do cafe work and we salted the eggplant all the time. At home i never do and to be honest im kinda hard pressed to tell the difference.
    That Vegan Soul Kitchen book looks awesome.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    so did they get cheez-its instead?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i season it with salt i guess
    but there is not much of a difference on the whole bell and whistle thing
    i used to fry them but now i bread and BBQ grill them
    less fat and a nice texture
    the key to a good texture is thick slices but not too thick
    and not over cooking

for sauces thick cubes

• PepesoLPepesoL 67 Posts
    Try Shojin cooking for a true vegetarian experience

Agedashi Tofu

but to be true shojin you need to make a dashi without fish stock.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I used to do cafe work and we salted the eggplant all the time. At home i never do and to be honest im kinda hard pressed to tell the difference.

Before I realized I was allergic to it (and became a very mediocre cook), I tried preparing eggplant at home several times... I really loved it in restaurants, but whenever I made it at home it was always inedible due to the bitterness, and (in this pre-broadband-at-home age) I had no idea what the issue was.

It could be that the way you're preparing it counteracts or complements the bitterness.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Yeah it totally depends oh how you cook it. Diced and fried you don't really need pre salt. If you roast/grill it in large strips then i'd say salt.
    Eggplant is one of my favourite foods though.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    grilled veggies, chimichurri, avocado, tortillas.

yar!

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Pad Thai

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/7168?section=

ingredient list

4 Servings

* 8 oz. rice noodles
    * 2 tsp. peanut oil
    * 1 medium red bell pepper, julienned
    * 2 cloves garlic, minced
    * 2 large ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
    * 4 oz. snow peas, trimmed
    * 4 oz. firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/4-inch thick matchsticks
    * 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    * 2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
    * 2 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
    * 1/4 cup chopped cashews for garnish
    * 4 green onions, chopped for garnish
    * 2 oz. bean sprouts for garnish

Directions

1. In large pot, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. When water boils, add noodles, stirring to prevent sticking. Cook until al dente, about 4 minutes. Drain.
    2. Meanwhile, in large wok or skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and garlic and stir-fry 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, snow peas and tofu and stir-fry just until tender, about 4 minutes. Add soy sauce and lime juice and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring often, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cooked noodles and cilantro.
    3. Spoon noodle mixture onto warm plates and garnish with cashews, green onions and bean sprouts.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Moroccan Tofu Tagine with Jeweled Couscous

* 1/2 cup sliced almonds (2 oz.)
    * 2 Tbs. olive oil
    * 1 lb. extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
    * 1 large Vidalia or other sweet onion, chopped
    * 3 large cloves garlic, minced
    * 1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
    * 1 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
    * 3/4 tsp. ground cumin
    * 1/4 tsp. paprika
    * 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
    * 2 Tbs. honey
    * Juice and grated peel of 1 lemon

Jeweled Couscous

* 2 1/4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
    * 1 1/4 cups uncooked couscous
    * 1/4 cup chopped dried cranberries
    * 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
    * 3 Tbs. minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
    * 3 Tbs. minced fresh mint
    * Juice and grated peel of 1 lemon

Directions

1. In small dry skillet, cook almonds over medium heat until fragrant, shaking pan occasionally, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove to a plate and set aside.
    2. In large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu and stir-fry until lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Remove to another plate.
    3. In same large skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and stir-fry 5 minutes. Add ginger, cinnamon, cumin and paprika and stir-fry 1 minute. Return tofu to skillet. Stir in broth, honey and lemon juice and peel and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer until tofu has absorbed flavors, about 15 minutes.
    4. With slotted spoon, remove tofu to a plate; cover with foil to keep warm. Add toasted almonds to liquid remaining in skillet and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until liquid is slightly syrupy, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Set aside.
    5. Make couscous: In medium saucepan, bring broth to a boil over high heat. Stir in couscous, cranberries and apricots, cover and remove from heat. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff couscous mixture with a fork, stirring in parsley, mint and lemon juice and peel. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
    6. Divide couscous mixture among 6 plates and top with tofu. Drizzle with honey-almond sauce and serve at once.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I've spent over 15 years as a veggie, and I still only cook vegetarian at home. My favorite dish is as nutritious as it is delicious.

Sweet Potato and Broccoli Burritos:

I cut up some broccoli and red bell pepper and steam it in the microwave.
    Cook a sweet potato or yam in the microwave.
    Make up some black beans. Canned or from dry if you're fancy. I add a little cumin to the beans.
    Slice up some avocado, fresh cilantro, and green onion. Grate some pepperjack. Keep the tapatio close at hand.

Combine all ingredients in a pan with a very lightly buttered, high quality tortilla and top with your salsa or hot sauce of choice. It's one of those easy things I could eat every day.