Hip-Hop Singles that Blew My Mind on 1st Listen!

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Hey,Here are some memorable hip-hop singles that blew my mind on 1st listen:

Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i was crazy intoxicated at a weird philly hiphop show when i heard Method Man for the first time (the song). i cant evenbegin to explain the impression it gave me...it was flowing like christ when he speaks the gospel

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Yeah, that Everlasting Bass was one of mine. I remember hearing it on the OG KDAY and my boy brought over that record w/ Ivonne is on, and a new group called NWA. Funny I wasn't feelin NWA at the time lol. I liked World Class Wreckin Crew though.

This was

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yeah, that Everlasting Bass was one of mine. I remember hearing it on the OG KDAY and my boy brought over that record w/ Ivonne is on, and a new group called NWA. Funny I wasn't feelin NWA at the time lol. I liked World Class Wreckin Crew though.

This was

I was gonna post that one, but I had to leave some for the younger cats.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I didnt hear my mic is on fire until last year. how I could just killaman was insanity. but. But. BUT:

forgive me for getting homer-sentimental for Posse On Broadway. It was about Seattle, it had that bass, and it is STILL a top 3 rolling song of all times:

there was no way. NO WAY someone was talking about Broadway. In Seattle. Dicks. Are you kidding me come on. Still and yet: the best rap song ever from Seattle. There never will be another. I'm over here, two blocks from Broadway right now, handfanning. To Sir Mixalot. ("Sir Mixalot." his name is Sir Mixalot. comeon.)

MINDBLOWING.

the taco bell is closed forever, by the way...

Blew My Mind.

I will also include:

Protect Ya Neck
    every NWA posse cut
    Scenario
    the Latyrx left/right channel one (1997-R)

I've always been a sucker for the posse cut, I will admit...

• Could go on forever......

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The Message
    Children's Story
    I Got It Made
    My Posse's on Broadway
    The Boyz in the Hood
    Follow the Leader
    Raw
    Rebel Without a Pause
    Life Is...Too $hort
    My Mind's Playing Tricks on Me
    Ain't Nothing But a G Thang
    Straighten It Out

...to name a few.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    OLAY DOOT

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I didnt hear my mic is on fire until last year. how I could just killaman was insanity. but. But. BUT:

forgive me for getting homer-sentimental for Posse On Broadway. It was about Seattle, it had that bass, and it is STILL a top 3 rolling song of all times:

there was no way. NO WAY someone was talking about Broadway. In Seattle. Dicks. Are you kidding me come on. Still and yet: the best rap song ever from Seattle. There never will be another. I'm over here, two blocks from Broadway right now, handfanning. To Sir Mixalot. ("Sir Mixalot." his name is Sir Mixalot. comeon.)

I prefer the remix (the one that fades the "Eat at Dick's" part in and out).

I still have that version that I taped off of WZAK back when Broadway came out (and back when WZAK still played hip hop).

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

Positive K will be best known forever and always as the king of persistent stalker rap. :P

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Yeah man...

And what about

TAKE IT PERSONAL B/W DWYCK (Aka I just shit my drawls up in the record store...)

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    You Got's to Chill - EPMD!

•  <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object> 

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    planet rock

• khadirkhadir 38 Posts
    I remember where I was the first tiem I hear this one:

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    1. Eric B is President
    2. Gucci Time
    3. Check out my melody

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts

I thought everything about this one was crazy the first time I heard it.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I cannot tell you how much this blew my mind when it first dropped. I drove mother crazy playing it over and over and over...

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    You Got's to Chill - EPMD!

HELL YES.
    This also killed me when it dropped, our first taste of Skull Snaps!!

• Still Incredible

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    TONZ-O-GUNZ

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    West street mob: Breakdance - Electric boogie

and some less obvious favorites of mine:

shit i don't even know if this was released as a single, but i had this shit on repeat for days after harvey posted it here.

• ageage 1,131 Posts

MC TWIST & THE DEF SQUAD:I Like It Loud 12

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here are some more:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

MC TWIST & THE DEF SQUAD:I Like It Loud 12

MC Twist blew your mind?!! Man pleeeez, MC Twist was a clown!! If he blew your mind I bet Young MC had you wetting yourself?