Little Milton RIP

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
(08-04) 10:17 PDT Jackson, Miss. (AP) --

Mississippi bluesman Little Milton Campbell has died in a Memphis hospital from complications of a stroke, his publicist Carrie Newton confirms.

Newton said Campbell, 71, died Thursday about 8:50 a.m. Newton said no other details were being released immediately.

Campbell suffered a stroke July 27.

The Inverness native had been scheduled to perform Aug. 11 at Clarksdale's Ground Zero Blues Club for the blues documentary "Native Sons," but that performance was canceled.

Campbell's last appearance in Jackson was at The Allman Brothers Band concert in May.

His hit record "We're Gonna Make It" and his 1978 vintage black jacket were on display in Clarksdale last year as part of a "Sweet Home Chicago" exhibit at the Delta Blues Museum.

Funeral services were pending.

Campbell is survived by his wife, Patricia, and several children.

Shingaling and I will be spinning many many Little Milton sides tonight....RIP

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Man that sucks. Hope the Native Sons doc at least got an interview with him. RIP

• He was probablly one of the nicest people I've ever met. I was helping him complete his own Stax vinyl discography for a while. He was very soft spoken, polite, and was always glad to see you. He would drink about 3 of our glass bottled cokes while he was diggin' in our shop. In 2002 we had his new album's release party at our shop and I'd say about 15 people came. It was sad but not as sad as this. I thought he would have lived to be over a hundred since he didn't look like he had aged a day since his first Stax LP. He will be missed. I'm sure he is in his reserved spot for great guitar players in the sky.
    RIP MR. CAMPBELL.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    diggin his sides out right now, I forgot how fuckin' hard his version of "I who have nothing" is...and his Charles Stepney produced side "More and More" is

damn.

• Grits Ain't Groceries... RIP.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!!!!

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Sad News, RIP

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    He put out a million sides, and I'll be damned if I've found a bad one yet. A true artist, and I'm happy to hear that he was a nice person besides. I'll pour out some for Little Milton tonight for sure.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    that's sad to hear... RIP

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Damn, this sucks, his catalog has so much quality stuff in it. One of the greats.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Damn, this sucks, his catalog has so much quality stuff in it. One of the greats.

• sleep on "poor man" (checker) at your peril.

sad news.

m

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    sleep on "poor man" (checker) at your peril.

sad news.

m

ive been in england this past week - this is sad news from my chicago home. his lipsynch performance in the WATTSTAX movie - where he's sitting by a deserted railroad track, lip- and pick-synching to "walking the back streets and crying" - is downright inspirational.