Detroit Techno/Deep House Music Thread

kennykenny 1,024 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
I'm new to this genre, please put me up on some labels/producers/essential underground shit that I should dig into?I don't even know the difference between all these sub genres of techno and house music to be honest, but from checking mixes by people like Trus Me, Theo, Ron Hardy, Jamie 326 etc., there is just this distinct sound that I like and all my friends tells me its the Detroit underground sound that I should be into...its minimal, its very thumping on the kick and bass, but more lo-fi and dirty than usual techno/house which is clean and tinny.too much info, anyways, people of the Strut please educate me.Thank yous.

Comments

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

btw I been listening to Theo Parrish "Chemistry" way too much, so I guess this is it that got me into the sound I'm looking for.

Also, stuff like Kirk Degiorgio, Motor City Drum Ensemble (though MCDE is more towards disco house?)

• ja_bruceja_bruce 295 Posts
    Detroit house artists...

Moodymann, Theo Parrish, 2 Bit Project, 3 Chairs, Delano Smith, K Hand, Marcellus Pittman, Norm Talley, Rick Wade, Rick Wilhite, Terrence Parker

Techno labels...

Transmat, Planet-E, KMS, Submerge, 430 West, Metroplex, Underground Resistance

Detroit Techno artists...

Carl Craig, Juan Atkins, UR, Alton Miller, Anthony Shakir, Blake Baxter, Eddie Fowlkes, Kenny Larkin, Mad Mike, Octave One, Suburban Knight

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Im a real big fan of Omar S and his OASIS series.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

Omar S

I think I just picked up a 12" of his the other day. definitely what i'm diggin into...

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Detroit house artists...

Moodymann, Theo Parrish, 2 Bit Project, 3 Chairs, Delano Smith, K Hand, Marcellus Pittman, Norm Talley, Rick Wade, Rick Wilhite, Terrence Parker

Techno labels...

Carl Craig, Juan Atkins, UR, Alton Miller, Anthony Shakir, Blake Baxter, Eddie Fowlkes, Kenny Larkin, Mad Mike, Octave One, Suburban Knight

THIS!

also add Andres, Nebraska and Tevo Howard to the house artists

House Labels
    Peacefrog, Prime Numbers, Mahonagi Music, Sound Signature Sounds, Rush Hour Recordings, Sonar Kollektiv

http://rushhour.nl/ = good record store to check for new release albiet a bit expensive.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Ja Bruce is pretty much on the money.
    I like some of Omar's production while others leave me feeling cold.
    Also check out Andres's aka DJ DEZ's work.
    Most of UR's work is amazing as is Juan Aktins and Carl Craig.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    Detroit house artists...

Techno labels...

oh no doubt! ja bruce got all the essentials here that i should be checking!

much thx man!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Jamal Moss is from Chicago, but his music has a definite Detroit vibe to it.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    on a newer tip, kyle hall is doing it right now.

on a newer tip, kyle hall is doing it right now.

This is the f*ckin' knock.

From the same EP.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    only 18 years old right? KMFH.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Crazy, I would have never have known that was new music. Retro in the best possible sense. The second track has a bit of a Glenn Underground before he went entirely cheesy feel to it, the first track is deep, reminds me of the kind of thing Tony Senghore was doing in the mid/late nineties. Love it.

• i would suggest checking out stuff on the innervisions label, too. they sometimes get a bit techy but more often they are just the right kind of deep house...

here's another i've been feeling lately:

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

thanks everyone!

someone mentioned Nebraska, which I also ended up picking some current 12"s from them the other day from an online store.

I'd like to check out some mixes from y'all too, if have any.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Check out "In the Dark" The Soul of Detroit

http://www.discogs.com/release/492618

then check for solo joints form the artist listed on this LP you cant got wrong and add Kenny Dixon Jr aka Moodyman to the mix and you are on your way...

Rick The Godson Wilhite
    Keith Worthy
    Delano Smith
    Mike Huckaby
    Andreas(sp?)

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    DJ Red D is that dude, good selector of all things deep.

http://www.juno.co.uk/charts/dj/3403-DJ_Red_D_We_Play_House_Recs/

• DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts
    Plug for my homie Jason Fine who has releases on Omar S's label and also Kontra music.
    MinimalMind

boingpoumtchak.com

Big co-sign for Kyle Hall, there's an interview on Labcabin and a couple new joints, check out Kaychunk

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    A couple of my friends that do minimal techno.

Andrei Morant aka Jack Mackrel
    http://www.andreimorant.com/

• No one mentioned:

Timeless classiques...