Red beans (NRR)

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Weren't these the consensus favorite Popeye's side item? I've been through a stack of old raer New Orleans cookbooks lately, checking for different recipes. I know there's folks who have opinions here -- care to share your own recipes?Click here to see the research behind the recipe. CREOLE RED BEANSIngredients? Red beans, dried (preferably Camellia Brand), 1 lb.? Ham hocks, four each? Onion, one large, diced (about 2 cups)? Celery, 3 ribs, diced (about 1 cup)? Red bell pepper, one each, seeded and diced (about 1 cup)? Green onion, tops only, one bunch, diced (about 1/2 cup)? Garlic, minced, three toes? Bay leaf, 3 each? Dried thyme, 1/2T? Dried oregano, 1/2T? Allspice, 1/2t? L&P Worcstershire sauce, 1T? Salt and black pepper, to taste? Crystal hot sauce, to taste? Garnish: sauteed half-moons of andouille sausage, chopped parsley, and a sieved eggMethod1. Soak the red beans in salted cold water overnight (the solution should taste like slightly diluted sea water).2. The next day, drain and rinse the beans thoroughly, and set them aside. In a large stock pot, combine 2 quarts of water with the ham hocks, Trinity, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, black pepper, allspice, and Worcestershire. Bring liquid to a boil, and then simmer for 30 minutes.3. Add the red beans to the pot, and allow them to simmer, perhaps for a few hours, until they finally begin to break apart naturally. Add water, as needed, to help prevent scorching (don?t be afraid to replenish with plenty of water in the beginning stages, especially since the water will have ample opportunity to evaporate).4. Once the beans have formed a creamy consistency, adjust with water for the desired thickness, then season them with salt and hot sauce. Remove the ham hocks, and carve away the meaty portions. Dice the ham hock meat and return it to the red beans.5. Serve the red beans over fluffy white rice, and garnish with half-moons of sauteed andouille sausage rounds, chopped parsley, and a sieved egg.

Comments

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

Puerto Rican Red Beans > New Orleans steez

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Recipe?

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

Recipe?

Daisy Martinez

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The first ingredient of my mother's red beans and rice: turkey carcass.

If you ain't working with Camellia beans, what's the point?

Gotta have andouille sausage as well.

My all-time favorite recipe includes cooking carrots down to liquid along with the garlic, onions and celery.

For red beans and rice: Tabasco > Red Dot > Crystal.

Ample on the go version, right here in a can...

I almost want to rank the og Haitian sos pwa above the NOLA version, at least on certain days...but the Puerto Rican version, no chance.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Would allspice, cinnamon, and clove get a pass in a proper Creole version?

Would allspice, cinnamon, and clove get a pass in a proper Creole version?

Not in my neck of the woods. In fact, in that photo up above, whatever that garnish is...you could get smacked for that.

Red beans and rice is a workingman's food. Restaurants that doll it up and put a hefty price tag on it...I said, you could get a smack for that.

Oh yeah, I ate red beans and rice for dinner this very night.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    Black beans > red beans

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    don't they put cloves/nutmeg/all spice/cinnamon
    in the riz coll?

that and some griot/cabri is my favorite creole food of all time

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Pink Beans > Chickpeas > Black beans > Lentils > Pigeon Peas > Canellini > red beans

don't they put cloves/nutmeg/all spice/cinnamon
    in the riz coll?

This is a staple with my Haitian family...but rarely ever a stand-alone dish. Typically, either chicken, fish, or griot comes on top of it, along with some sort of sauce/drippings.

Sos pwa (sauce pois), at least the way my father-in-law used to make it, and the way my ex-wife makes it...is creamed beans (my favorite is actually white beans) put over typically rice with peas. Often you get some sort of meat with that as well. Just had sos pwa this past Sunday...and when made just right, it rivals NOLA style red beans and rice...but definitely on a whole different flavor parameter.