New Erykah Badu album (not nudity-R)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Not what I expected in terms of a "Part 2" to "New Amerykah" but I'm kind of feeling it. Feels hella 90s with its Sylvia Striplin and Eddie Kendricks-sampling joints.

Comments

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Yeah, as the one Herm said, this album is totally accessible unlike the first Amerykah. May I dare say it's on par with Baduizm? Return to the neo-soul (in a good way)?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i love it. wanted to make that gone baby paul mccartney beat for a while. o course no one woulda heard it.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    i love it. wanted to make that gone baby paul mccartney beat for a while. o course no one woulda heard it.

probably my favorite song on the album.

• i love it. wanted to make that gone baby paul mccartney beat for a while.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

I did the same about 13-14 years ago, in three different songs, and very few heard them. Did manage to incorporate one of the tracks in my podcast last week which segued into the Badu song, so not all is lost.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I didn't get her last record but I'm definitely ready for this.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    man, this really is on repeat for me. personal fave this year so far. and freezy/jake.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    great album.......her best work by far since Baduism

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    You Loving Me should be a full song

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm on my 3rd time through and seriously, this album is probably one of the best end-to-end listens I've enjoyed in god-knows-when.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I'm on my 3rd time through and seriously, this album is probably one of the best end-to-end listens I've enjoyed in god-knows-when.

Te ador Badu.

- spidey

The first half of "Out of My Mind, Just In Time" is killing me right now.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Im not very impressed - 6.5/7.0

its not all that IMO.

The Striplin cover is whatever. If i was 18 i'd be open but.

I feel like its a lateral move from the last album.

They fucked up that Ndugu Chandler sample. Too muddy.

Fall In Love (Your Funeral) = nice but way to fam beat for an "outthere" artist.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i agree it's a lateral move, but i didn't necessarily need this album to be new amerykah plus one. shes covered all this ground before but she does it so damn well. window seat, gone baby gone, etc. i'll be playing this all summer.

the only songs i don't like on the album are the striplin cover, the verses/melody take away from the song. she shouldn't have covered it period. And the song with the biggie chorus and the same damn eddie kendricks sample that EVERYONE has rocked.

i would give it a 8 or a 8.5. not her absolute best, but far from a failure.

Personally, I liked both "Turn Me Away" and especially "Fall In Love." The latter does more than just loop up the Kendricks' song and I luh the flip on "Warning"; brilliant.

Also, exactly how many artists comprise "EVERYONE". Common, Snoop, uh...Sweet Sable? It's not like we're talking about "Funky Drummer!"

Good call on the "lateral move." I actually think it's a spin backwards of sorts but I still enjoyed the hell out of it.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    alicia keys

alicia keys

Ah, forgot about this one (and now that I'm relistening, I realize why I went out of my way to forget it).

Personally, "Intimate Friends" is hard to get tired of.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I actually think it's a spin backwards of sorts...

Yeah I kind of saw it that way too, but in a good way.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I like the Striplin cover. New private mind garden stripper anthem.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Personally, I liked both "Turn Me Away" and especially "Fall In Love." The latter does more than just loop up the Kendricks' song and I luh the flip on "Warning"; brilliant.

ok, i was riding around last night with the windows down blasting this. the weather in dallas right now is perfect, i mean PERFECT. soon it will be hot as fusk but, whatever. anyways fall in love is no longer to be hatted on. your right. it jams.

the turn me away cover is still

ok, i was riding around last night with the windows down blasting this. the weather in dallas right now is perfect, i mean PERFECT. soon it will be hot as fusk but, whatever. anyways fall in love is no longer to be hatted on. your right. it jams.

the turn me away cover is still

Different strokes/folks. All good.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    BUMP.

This has been in daily rotation for me. Love it from start to finish, but "Window Seat" sounds especially perfect to me. It's rare to hear an album these days that sounds so cohesive, ya know? I liked some of Worldwide Underground, but it felt very disjointed. I missed Part One altogether ("Honey" didn't grab me enough to check it out), so I can't speak on that one, but this album feels so right to me.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    BUMP.

This has been in daily rotation for me. Love it from start to finish, but "Window Seat" sounds especially perfect to me. It's rare to hear an album these days that sounds so cohesive, ya know? I liked some of Worldwide Underground, but it felt very disjointed. I missed Part One altogether ("Honey" didn't grab me enough to check it out), so I can't speak on that one, but this album feels so right to me.

honey was to part one, what jump up in the air is to part two; not really apart of the album/tone. you should really check out part one.

Jump up in the air? Sorry, you lost me there.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    honey was supposed to be on new amerykah pt. 2 but was picked to be the lead single of 1 for commercial reasons. jump up in the air was supposed to be 2's lead single but didn't make the cut. (it wound up on japanese pressings) both of these songs stick out, don't feel 'right' with the rest of those two albums.

Ah, gotcha. I'd never heard of that song. And yes, if it were on "Part 2," I'd skip it every time it came on.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i like the song, just dosen't flow with the album.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    honey was supposed to be on new amerykah pt. 2 but was picked to be the lead single of 1 for commercial reasons. jump up in the air was supposed to be 2's lead single but didn't make the cut. (it wound up on japanese pressings) both of these songs stick out, don't feel 'right' with the rest of those two albums.

Ha! Funny coincidence: while reading this post I was listening to "Hydraulic Pump" (where the "Jump up..." chant comes from).
    Wasn't familiar with this Badu track before.