The Inevitable

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Sorry to the board for the ugliness yesterday. Really, y'all can hate Texas all y'all want. But what y'all saw between me and Delay yesterday is just what happens when 2 strong-willed, outspoken dudes find themselves on opposite sides of an argument. There's no bending...so it inevitably becomes stay outta my face. Anyway, may a greater diplomacy prevail.

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

I have no problem hating on people because of their actions.

Hate LBJ, that Yankee GWB and Dickless Armey all you want.

What struck me in that thread yesterday was that the Texas hater seemed to have similar feelings about D.C. and the people of NY.....made me wonder who he didn't hate.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    the reference to "that bumpersticker," as indication of Texas-assholizm (Texassholizm?) is my favorite part: we fruits outside of the Lone Star State may even know that it's about littering, but we've assigned a new meaning to it...that of the xenophobic Texas fighter guy...

like how rainbows are gay now.

it's awesome.

but nobody cares!

haha I wish that thread was still going it was getting good.

But what y'all saw between me and Delay yesterday is just what happens when 2 strong-willed, outspoken dudes find themselves on opposite sides of an argument. There's no bending...so it inevitably becomes stay outta my face.

that does sound a little bit Texan, wouldn't you admit? haha oops ...

and sorry I'm so obsessed with the bumper sticker thing.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Whether it's Texas related or not, it seems that too many people nowadays get really threatened by any body of people collectively taking pride in anything whatsoever. The assumption is that we're all supposed to be so jaded/indifferent that we would look upon any sort of group rallying cry as some sort of jockish pep rally that none of us should ever want to take a part in. But from my view...for instance, Hook em Horns is truly a beautiful thing. And I know this from experience.

hook em horns is pretty dope. 100,000 Dio fans in orangey-brown!

I've never been too good at affiliating myself with something as arbitrary as a line drawn on a map, but I get what you're saying. I consider myself a strong member of the Internet Nation or something corny like that...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Whether it's Texas related or not, it seems that too many people nowadays get really threatened by any body of people collectively taking pride in anything whatsoever. The assumption is that we're all supposed to be so jaded/indifferent that we would look upon any sort of group rallying cry as some sort of jockish pep rally that none of us should ever want to take a part in. But from my view...for instance, Hook em Horns is truly a beautiful thing. And I know this from experience.

I don't think it's the pride alone, but the additional sense of superiority some people sport. I work with a woman who has a t-shirt that reads "There are two types of people: those from Texas and those who wish they were." Personally, I like Boston and I'm proud of my state for several reasons, but I don't think the rest of the world needs to share my opinion, never mind be jealous that they do not have the privilege to live here. And I know that's only a certain subset of Texans and that for many more it's sort of a playful joking around, but people do get tired of it.

Go ahead and be tired of it...but please don't resort to hateful stereotyping and the scapegoatiing of us for your own problems would be my request. Not that you personally do either of those, DB...but still.

I don't think it's the pride alone, but the additional sense of superiority some people sport. I work with a woman who has a t-shirt that reads "There are two types of people: those from Texas and those who wish they were." Personally, I like Boston and I'm proud of my state for several reasons, but I don't think the rest of the world needs to share my opinion, never mind be jealous that they do not have the privilege to live here. And I know that's only a certain subset of Texans and that for many more it's sort of a playful joking around, but people do get tired of it.

I can't imagine the abuse a Texan must get in Mass. One run-in with someone like MLJ and I'd be wearing that shirt too.

You came down here last year and met lots of Texans, honestly, did we come across as assholes?? I can take the truth.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

I can't imagine the abuse a Texan must get in Mass. One run-in with someone like MLJ and I'd be wearing that shirt too.

You came down here last year and met lots of Texans, honestly, did we come across as assholes?? I can take the truth.

Not at all ? I didn't meet a single person I didn't like. But it seems that the yahoo minority is always the loudest faction, so the rare blustery "Everything is better in Texas" dude is the one people hear, not the majority of nice, regular folks who go about their business like normal folks do and don't have time to be yelling "Texas is a nice state like many others with a lot going on. Check it out ? you might like it!" Hell, I'm sure a lot of folks around the country think Massachusetts is full of Peoples Republic of Cambridge types who yell the loudest about how the left isn't left enough. The rest of us go about our business like normal folks, then go home and drink a beer while watching the baseball game.

• I don't think it's the pride alone, but the additional sense of superiority some people sport. I work with a woman who has a t-shirt that reads "There are two types of people: those from Texas and those who wish they were." Personally, I like Boston and I'm proud of my state for several reasons, but I don't think the rest of the world needs to share my opinion, never mind be jealous that they do not have the privilege to live here. And I know that's only a certain subset of Texans and that for many more it's sort of a playful joking around, but people do get tired of it.

Not at all ? I didn't meet a single person I didn't like. But it seems that the yahoo minority is always the loudest faction, so the rare blustery "Everything is better in Texas" dude is the one people hear, not the majority of nice, regular folks who go about their business like normal folks do and don't have time to be yelling "Texas is a nice state like many others with a lot going on. Check it out ? you might like it!" Hell, I'm sure a lot of folks around the country think Massachusetts is full of Peoples Republic of Cambridge types who yell the loudest about how the left isn't left enough. The rest of us go about our business like normal folks, then go home and drink a beer while watching the baseball game.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I can't imagine the abuse a Texan must get in Mass.

Not much, if any.

Unless you're a Yankee fan.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

majority of nice, regular folks who go about their business like normal folks do and don't have time to be yelling "Texas is a nice state like many others with a lot going on. Check it out ? you might like it!"
    there is no inbetween here. either folks hate texas or love it. i love it.

i think it's real funny when native new yorkers and texans claim that each other is obnoxious about loving their respective states/cities.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    As a non American who has lived in a few states (Including Texas) and traveled to probably 30 states. The one thing I found different in Texas was that there were plenty of Texans who seem to think they were Texans first and then Americans. I never got that anywhere else really.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    What struck me in that thread yesterday was that the Texas hater seemed to have similar feelings about D.C. and the people of NY.....made me wonder who he didn't hate.
    I dont hate you, rock. you are an excellent contributor, and an extremely valuable source of information. That mix you did for danno's show was one of my favorites ever posted here. i also love the bacon/egg/avocado sandwich my girlfriend made me this morning.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    what thraed from yesterday?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Go ahead and be tired of it...but please don't resort to hateful stereotyping and the scapegoatiing of us for your own problems would be my request. Not that you personally do either of those, DB...but still.

I recall you once blaming Austin's population explosion on people from California.

I recall you once blaming Austin's population explosion on people from California.

Same as I would today as it's a valid observation rooted in fact.

"the scapegoatiing of us for your own problems"

There has always been a stereotype in the U.S. that folks in the South were not as intelligent/cultured/advanced as people in the North.

Some of this bias was warranted, most of it was not.

During the 70's there was a mass migration to Texas and the South in general, mostly because it offered opportunities that other areas did not.

I was one of those people, moving from NY in 1979.

When I first arrived here it was obvious that some Texans did not like these "Yankees", seeing them as a kind of disrespectful carpetbagger.

There were so many of these northern transplants with their "I LOVE NY" bumperstickers that a common sight were Texans with bumperstickers that read "Love NY, Take I-95 North"

The period between '75-'95 saw almost a double in population, with the good majority of these documented immigrants being the very Yankees that had always belittled the South and it's people.

This made native Texans very defensive, and looking for ways to hold on to THEIR culture and history, hence the rise in "Texas Pride" in the form of goofy T-Shirts and self-aggrandizing mottos.

It was a way for these folks to keep some of the identity that was quickly being diluted by these new Texans.

And I can certainly appreciate them wanting to do so.

The Texas that exists today is a far cry from the Texas that existed in the 60's & 70's.....it's been infiltrated and (over)populated by the very Yankees that used to look at them as being inferior.

Many of these Yankees, myself included, realized that this Texas/Southern stereotype was bullshit......and some even proclaimed themselves as proud Texans in almost an apologetic way.

Whatever Texas is today, it's a mixture of people from all 50 states, moreso than any other state in the union.

So when I see that same dumbass stereotype, and "F Texas" sentiment, I see it as pure ignorance....and go out of my way to call it as such.

Probably the craziest thing is that the "Anti-Yankee" sentiment that was common here 30 years ago is virtually non-existant today, and now the supposed more intelligent/cultured/advanced Northeners are the ones taking potshots at Texas.

I hope this explains how ridiculous the whole scenario is, and why folks like Harvey and I stand up for people that welcomed us from other places and made us one of their own.

???

There is a direct correlation. It's not scapegoating as if to put it on someone who isn't actually involved. The very people who are moving here are being cited.

???

There is a direct correlation. It's not scapegoating as if to put it on someone who isn't actually involved. The very people who are moving here are being cited.

"It's not scapegoating if it's actually true in my mind."

okay dude.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The King of the Hill where Hank has to compete for the contract of the
    visiting customer from Massachusetts is so damn killer. Many on-point jokes.

"Ah'm gonna cahl you Jay Ahr!"

The King of the Hill where Hank has to compete for the contract of the
    visiting customer from Massachusetts is so damn killer. Many on-point jokes.

"Ah'm gonna cahl you Jay Ahr!"

One of the best episodes ever!!

"I'LL fight ya, pardner!"

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    There has always been a stereotype in the U.S. that folks in the South were not as intelligent/cultured/advanced as people in the North.

During the 70's there was a mass migration to Texas and the South in general, mostly because it offered opportunities that other areas did not.

When I first arrived here it was obvious that some Texans did not like these "Yankees", seeing them as a kind of disrespectful carpetbagger.

There were so many of these northern transplants with their "I LOVE NY" bumperstickers that a common sight were Texans with bumperstickers that read "Love NY, Take I-95 North"

The period between '75-'95 saw almost a double in population, with the good majority of these documented immigrants being the very Yankees that had always belittled the South and it's people.

This made native Texans very defensive, and looking for ways to hold on to THEIR culture and history, hence the rise in "Texas Pride" in the form of goofy T-Shirts and self-aggrandizing mottos.

It was a way for these folks to keep some of the identity that was quickly being diluted by these new Texans.

The Texas that exists today is a far cry from the Texas that existed in the 60's & 70's.....it's been infiltrated and (over)populated by the very Yankees that used to look at them as being inferior.

Many of these Yankees, myself included, realized that this Texas/Southern stereotype was bullshit......and some even proclaimed themselves as proud Texans in almost an apologetic way.

Whatever Texas is today, it's a mixture of people from all 50 states, moreso than any other state in the union.

So when I see that same dumbass stereotype, and "F Texas" sentiment, I see it as pure ignorance....and go out of my way to call it as such.

Probably the craziest thing is that the "Anti-Yankee" sentiment that was common here 30 years ago is virtually non-existant today, and now the supposed more intelligent/cultured/advanced Northeners are the ones taking potshots at Texas.

I hope this explains how ridiculous the whole scenario is, and why folks like Harvey and I stand up for people that welcomed us from other places and made us one of their own.

That's pretty interesting, but also ironic. Texas was a refuge for wealthy southerners that fled when the Union was invading southern cities and the countryside.

the term "carpetbagger" was used to describe northerners who were capitalizing on cheap land in the south. they would get off the train carrying all their personal belongs in the biggest bag they could find, which at the time happened to be a carpet bag.

what is ironic, is the the union dollars help reconstruct the south, while the texas money stayed in texas and built oil companies and cattle ranches.

for texans to claim themselves as southerners and call northerners carpetbaggers is extremely hypocritcal.

That's pretty interesting, but also ironic. Texas was a refuge for wealthy southerners that fled when the Union was invading southern cities and the countryside.

the term "carpetbagger" was used to describe northerners who were capitalizing on cheap land in the south. they would get off the train carrying all their personal belongs in the biggest bag they could find, which at the time happened to be a carpet bag.

what is ironic, is the the union dollars help reconstruct the south, while the texas money stayed in texas and built oil companies and cattle ranches.

for texans to claim themselves as southerners and call northerners carpetbaggers is extremely hypocritcal.

Really?...All my rambling and all you came away with was a literal misuse of the term carpetbagger??

Like I said, folks like myself came to Texas from the North to take advantage of jobs, cheap housing and low cost of living "not unlike" the carpetbaggers back in the day.

And Texans, like anyone, didn't take too kindly to being invaded(no, not in the literal sense) by folks who have historically looked down upon and ridiculed them.

The fact that they may overcompensate with state pride should be very understandable.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Really?...All my rambling and all you came away with was a literal misuse of the term carpetbagger??

definitely not all i could come up with. just simplifying my point.

definitely not all i could come up with. just simplifying my point.

Pretty nitpicky and really didn't have much to do with the overall post.

Do you really harbor ill feelings in 2010 towards a state because of a dude(LBJ) that has been dead for longer than most folks here have been alive....that just seems bizarre.

Can you imagine someone pulling out the Boss Tweed/Tammany Hall hate card??

The Inevitable
    point at which this thread becomes the earlier thread.

The Inevitable
    point at which this thread becomes the earlier thread.

You're right.....obviously nothing is being accomplished.

Time to start a Miniature Golf Course Soul Funk LP thread.