EMI is fucked in the game (remix)

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Expect an announcement before much longer that Paul McCartney has taken his entire post-Beatles back catalogue from EMI and signed a deal with Universal. All his material has already been pulled from iTunes. Whether or not that's so it can be used as an additional bargaining tool when a deal is finally done for the Beatles on iTunes remains to be seen, but I wouldn't be too surprised.

Comments

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    the current story update goes like this. Universal & Sony offer was "too low" for guy hands (who lets face it, bought a sows ear that looked like a silk purse). Terrafirma basically have their balls in the hands of Citibank (leveraged loans, bad debt, blah blah blah). No takeover buyer wants to get sucked into the EMI/Citibank clusterfuck, hence the devaluation. Meanwhile guy realises his nuts are nailed to the wall and promptly sues citibank for giving inappropriate advice.

A sinking ship, take that to the br...

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    for a less colloquial explanation, read

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsb...deal-fails.html

"Mr Hands will now have to ask his Terra Firma investors to pour in the extra cash or risk losing control of the company to Citigroup, which holds all of EMI's debts. Sources believe Citigroup would be quick to put the company up for sale should it take control. "

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts

I doubt they can afford to lose any more flagship/marquee-name acts if they want to actually have something they can bargain with when the next round of negotiations takes place. Terra Firma's period of ownership has been characterised by an absolutely staggering level of cluelessness.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    Queen take their box of toys to Universal.

Hands will be gone before Christmas.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

Ouch that hurts.

B/W

I will never Google Image the word "ouch" again.